• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

andiesenji

andiesenji

16 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Did you have any Neanderthal?  We learned tonight in bible study (a unit on our responsibilities towards the natural world and how science and faith can coexist) that people of Northern European backgrounds have 1-3% Neanderthal DNA.

No. But it appears that I have ancestors that were Romans that remained in the British Isles when the Legions returned to Italy.  These are via the Welsh.  

One of my early ancestors that was in Virginia by 1645, grew Flax, Indigo and later built a flax mill and ten "floor looms" instead of shipping the raw materials home to England.

He paid the passage for 16 journey weavers and 2 master weavers from Scotland in 1680.  

His son built cotton mills some 40 years later.  The family were abolitionists.  

So I think several of my ancestors were very involved with various fabrics and surely there were some tea towels and etc., in the output.  

I meant to add that ALL of my ancestors were here prior to 1800

5a7368a636c97_between1775and1800.thumb.png.2c4b3f89847342021cf39d0eccf38a40.png

The last batch arrived between 1750 and 1775

5a7369780d304_Between1750and1775.thumb.png.bc2c9153db65bfe0d9b8ace6c85e9f7f.png

andiesenji

andiesenji

16 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Did you have any Neanderthal?  We learned tonight in bible study (a unit on our responsibilities towards the natural world and how science and faith can coexist) that people of Northern European backgrounds have 1-3% Neanderthal DNA.

No. But it appears that I have ancestors that were Romans that remained in the British Isles when the Legions returned to Italy.  These are via the Welsh.  

One of my early ancestors that was in Virginia by 1645, grew Flax, Indigo and later built a flax mill and ten "floor looms" instead of shipping the raw materials home to England.

He paid the passage for 16 journey weavers and 2 master weavers from Scotland in 1680.  

His son built cotton mills some 40 years later.  The family were abolitionists.  

So I think several of my ancestors were very involved with various fabrics and surely there were some tea towels and etc., in the output.