• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

boilsover

boilsover

On 1/24/2018 at 5:15 AM, chromedome said:

Empirical comparison would seem to be called for - multiple batches made with conventional pin vs tutove, comparative "puff" shots, etc - but that's probably more effort than it's worth for what amounts to idle curiosity for the rest of us. 

Well, my friend and I ran an A-B comparison last Wednesday with 4-turn kouign aman.  Eveything but the pin was the same.

The spring was uniformly greater in the tutove-rolled batch (12 pastries each) than the one rolled under a smooth tapered French pin, resulting in a lighter center, and the layers inside were more distinct.  The same result obtained in both pastry rings and muffin tins.  I will post photos later.

boilsover

boilsover

Empirical comparison would seem to be called for - multiple batches made with conventional pin vs tutove, comparative "puff" shots, etc - but that's probably more effort than it's worth for what amounts to idle curiosity for the rest of us. 

Well, my friend and I ran an A-B comparison last Wednesday with 4-turn kouign aman.  Eveything but the pin was the same.

The spring was uniformly greater inthe tutove-rolled batch (12 pastries each) than a smooth tapered French pinlled, resulting in a lighter center, and the layers inside were more distinct.  The same result obtained in both pastry rings and muffin tins.  I will post photos later.

boilsover

boilsover

The spring was greater across the batches (12 pastries each) rolled with the tutove, resulting in a lighter center, and the layers inside were more distinct.  The same result obtained in both pastry rings and muffin tins.  I will post photos later.

boilsover

boilsover

The spring was greater in the batch (12 pastries each) rolled with the tutove, resulting in a lighter center, and the layers inside were more distinct.  I will post photos later.