• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

boilsover

boilsover

8 hours ago, pastrygirl said:

On 1/13/2018 at 9:03 PM, boilsover said:

The idea is that the pin has grooves/ridges that better place butter into the layers of dough.

This doesn't make sense to me.  The butter is 'placed in the dough' by putting the butter block on the dough, folding it up, and rolling...

Well, let me offer an idea that makes sense to me.  I suggest that, when rolled with a smooth pin, the forces are such that the dough  (paste and butter layers alike) is moved almost completely in the direction in which the pin is rolled.  With the longitudinal ridges (which are rounded), a pushing motion along with downward pressure will exert both forward and rearward forces in all the layers.  This might mean more consistent thicknesses of paste and butter layers after the chosen number of turns.

This may well be part of what was said about avoiding tearing; then again, perhaps there's more to it.

boilsover

boilsover

7 hours ago, pastrygirl said:

The idea is that the pin has grooves/ridges that better place butter into the layers of dough.

This doesn't make sense to me.  The butter is 'placed in the dough' by putting the butter block on the dough, folding it up, and rolling...

Well, let me offer an idea that makes sense to me.  I suggest that, when rolled with a smooth pin, the forces are such that the dough  (paste and butter layers alike) is moved almost completely in the direction in which the pin is rolled.  With the longitudinal ridges (which are rounded), a pushing motion along with downward pressure will exert both forward and rearward forces in all the layers.  This might mean more consistent thicknesses of dough and butter after all the turns.

This may well be part of what was said about avoiding tearing; then again, perhaps there's more to it.

boilsover

boilsover

Well, let me offer an idea that makes sense to me.  I suggest that, when rolled with a smooth pin, the forces are such that the dough  (paste and butter layers alike) is moved almost completely in the direction in which the pin is pushed.  With the longitudinal ridges (which are rounded), a pushing motion will exert both forward and rearward forces in all the layers.  This might mean more consistent thicknesses of dough and butter after all the turns.

boilsover

boilsover

Well, let me offer an idea that makes sense to me.  I suggest that, when rolled with a smooth pin, the forces are such that the dough is moved almost completely in the direction in which the pin is pushed.  With the longitudinal ridges (which are rounded), a pushing motion will exert both forward and rearward forces in all the layers.  This might mean more consistent thicknesses of dough and butter after all the turns.