• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolate making: Things I learned in my early months

anonymouse

3 hours ago, Vojta said:

But I have to ask how do you make silk? Everyone here loves EZ temper, I need to try it by myself. I reckon its cocoa butter tempered or heated to specific temperature.

Google "cocoa butter silk sous vide"

• Thanks 2

• 3 years later...
On 6/17/2018 at 10:40 AM, Tri2Cook said:

Not actually chocolate but I'm putting it here anyway...

corny23.jpg

Freeze dried corn (a gift from Kerry Beal that inspired this idea), cocoa butter, butter powder, sugar and sea salt.

corny34.jpg

The live action shot. It's actually out of the machine now and tucked away to cool. After about 20 hours in the machine, the final color isn't as nice as I'd hoped (picture the above with a slight grey-ish cast to it) but this was just an idea test anyway, there are ways to solve that problem if I decide the buttered corn bar is worth doing again once I get it tempered and molded. Assuming it will temper and mold, it's still pretty soft right now after 4 hours out of the machine. 

did you ever get the corn worked out?  I’m experimenting with oats, want to try popcorn. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/16/2023 at 9:55 PM, pastrygirl said:

did you ever get the corn worked out?  I’m experimenting with oats, want to try popcorn. 

Apologies, haven't been here recently. I'm ashamed to admit, I never revisted it. I feel certain it will work, just gotta get the ratios right. Popcorn sounds interesting, I'd be interested in how that does... may have to give it a try.

Edited by Tri2Cook (log)
  • Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

1 hour ago, Tri2Cook said:

Apologies, haven't been here recently. I'm ashamed to admit, I never revisted it. I feel certain it will work, just gotta get the ratios right. Popcorn sounds interesting, I'd be interested in how that does... may have to give it a try.

No problem.  It took a ton of cocoa butter to get moving and was ... interesting.  Could be good with real butter or peanuts & caramel a la Cracker Jack.  I didn't end up using it for that particular project (which was dairy-free, nut-free) but there's potential.

• Like 1