• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

pastrygirl

pastrygirl

45 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I had anovaed only twelve grams of silk and the silk cooled and solidified very rapidly after I removed the bag from the water bath.  My silk was definitely powdery but it seemed to work.  Or something worked, the chocolate was in perfect temper.  Are you preparing a larger quantity of silk at one time so that it stays silky longer?

Before silk there was mycryo, which is a powdery, fine granular form of cocoa butter. Sounds like you did fine with your silk. 

Yes, I prepare at least a cup of silk at a time. Yesterday and today I made a lot of product, tempered about 20 lbs of various couvertures. Still tiny batches by most measures, but more than a kitchen aid full. The ice cream maker with whom I share a kitchen shuts down for the season soon and  I’ll be able to bring in my bigger melter and really get chocolate all over the place. 

pastrygirl

pastrygirl

34 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I had anovaed only twelve grams of silk and the silk cooled and solidified very rapidly after I removed the bag from the water bath.  My silk was definitely powdery but it seemed to work.  Or something worked, the chocolate was in perfect temper.  Are you preparing a larger quantity of silk at one time so that it stays silky longer?

Before silk there was mycryo, which is a powdery, fine granular form of cocoa butter. Sounds like you did fine with your silk. 

Yes, I prepare at least a cup of silk at a time. Yesterday and today I made a lot of product, tempered about 20 lbs of various couvertures. Still tiny batches by most measures, but more than a kitchen aid full.