• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

I can't believe it.

I had a meeting this afternoon with someone in an area of town that I don't know well, so we arranged for someone to come to meet me and lead me to where I should be. The most convenient place to meet and one that I did know was outside a branch of McDonald's. Not that I ever ventured inside.

Anyway,  I was 5 minutes early for the rendezvous and spent my wait scrutinising the promotional gunk on the windows. Which is when I saw this -

mcd.thumb.jpg.8a0a7671cb0297cc2fb14444a7880bcf.jpg

The idiots have only gone and tried to introduce their American Sichuan sauce to China!

The locals, by all reports, are deeply unimpressed. Where is the chilli and peppercorn! It tastes like Japanese teriyaki sauce!

Although the sauce is supposedly inspired by the spicy cuisine of the southwestern province that was formerly known as Szechuan, Chinese customers struggled to find anything recognisably Sichuanese about it – not least because it lacked the chillies that are a vital element of the local cuisine.

A Beijing-based reporter for the China news portal Inkstone concluded it had nothing to do with Sichuan cuisine, describing it as “very sweet, a little sour and saltier than other sauces”.

South China Morning Post

They also offer two other flavours, supposedly Sichuanese. Sweet and sour and Gongbao (Kungpo) flavor. Sweet and sour isn't a Sichuan flavour and Gongbao again needs chilli which is absent.

I'm told they also offer hamburgers in which taste is absent.

liuzhou

liuzhou

I can't believe it.

I had a meeting this afternoon with someone in an area of town that I don't know well, so we arranged for someone to come to meet me and lead me to where I should be. The most convenient place to meet and one that I did know was outside a branch of McDonald's. Not that I ever ventured inside.

Anyway,  I was 5 minutes early for the rendezvous and spent my wait scrutinising the promotional gunk on the windows. Which is when I saw this -

mcd.thumb.jpg.8a0a7671cb0297cc2fb14444a7880bcf.jpg

The idiots have only gone and tried to introduce their American Sichuan sauce to China!

The locals, by all reports, are deeply unimpressed.

Although the sauce is supposedly inspired by the spicy cuisine of the southwestern province that was formerly known as Szechuan, Chinese customers struggled to find anything recognisably Sichuanese about it – not least because it lacked the chillies that are a vital element of the local cuisine.

A Beijing-based reporter for the China news portal Inkstone concluded it had nothing to do with Sichuan cuisine, describing it as “very sweet, a little sour and saltier than other sauces”.

South China Morning Post

They offer two flavours. Sweet and sour and Gongbao (Kungpo) flavor. Sweet and sour isn't a Sichuan flavour and Gongbao needs chilli which is absent.

I'm told they also offer hamburgers in which taste is absent.