• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

liuzhou

Fast Food Localisation

@Anna NIt is quite bland, that's for sure... even with the ground pork or ground chicken and the ginger, it's certainly not very flavorful!

20 minutes ago, KennethT said:

@Anna NIt is quite bland, that's for sure... even with the ground pork or ground chicken and the ginger, it's certainly not very flavorful!

But it isn't meant to be flavourful. Chinese cuisine uses rice (including congee) to be a neutral base on which the accompanying dishes or condiments can sit. That's why they don't ever season rice.  Chinese friends were amazed they saw me put salt into rice. They thought I was mad.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The latest treat at our local Pizza Hut ... Salted duck/chicken (?) egg yolk pizza.

To quote Sepultura: Refuse/Resist !

Egg yolk pizza.PNG

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

I do love 'Product pictures are for reference only', which means we will serve you something totally different.

• Haha 2

Liuzhou! I've gone through this whole thread and your photos of local KFC and pizza hut offerings are illuminating, a bit startling, and just wonderful. Thank you so much! McDonald's serves congee? Fantastic!

• Thanks 1

On ‎10‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 12:54 AM, liuzhou said:

Probably not what comes to your mind when you think of McDonald's.

congee.thumb.jpg.f9045c6b7b1eaf7f98c02a50f2379872.jpg

The two large characters, 粥王 zhōu wáng mean "Congee King". They offer three varieties. The large picture is Century egg and chicken congee with a potato fritter. At the bottom they  show:

Left - Pickled vegetable, crisp bamboo shoot and chicken,
Centre - The large picture repeated

Right - Salted egg yolk and chicken.

All three come with a potato fritter.

In the largest photo, I can totally see the yolk and "white" parts of the century egg, but what pray tell is the large plum colored item on the upper right that looks like an acrylic nail? 

4 hours ago, caroled said:

In the largest photo, I can totally see the yolk and "white" parts of the century egg, but what pray tell is the large plum colored item on the upper right that looks like an acrylic nail? 

A bean?

3 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

A bean?

We can only hope!

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, caroled said:

I'm not sure. I'll check it next time I'm there and see if it's any clearer on the large poster. I think it is still up.