• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Duvel

Duvel

11 minutes ago, chromedome said:

I can't help but picture an Asian tourist looking down incredulously at an artisanal Neapolitan-style pie and grumbling "I don't know what the hell you call that, but it ain't pizza!"

Make no mistake: a lot of people here are well acquainted with was is authentic in different European countries, because in cities like Hong Kong, Singapore, Shanghai or Tokyo you will find fantastic recreations of those dishes. And they value and appreciate it for what it is.

That does not mean that the mainstream flavour (and that is what the fast food chains are catering for) will demand for something else ...

Duvel

Duvel

3 minutes ago, chromedome said:

I can't help but picture an Asian tourist looking down incredulously at an artisanal Neapolitan-style pie and grumbling "I don't know what the hell you call that, but it ain't pizza!"

Make no mistake: a lot of people here are well acquainted with was is authentic in different European countries, because in cities like Hong Kong, Singapore, Shanghai or Tokyo you will find fantastic recreations of those dishes. And the value and appreciate it for what it is.

Tgat does not mean that the mainstream flavour (and that is what the fast food chains are catering for) will demand for something else ...