• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anything odd about these carb counts to you?

GlorifiedRice

7 hours ago, pastrygirl said:

How do you think it should have been labeled, with the starches listed as sugars instead of under total carbohydrates? 

Is it sweet?  18 grams of granulated sugar in a cup of milk would be pretty sweet, that's 1-1/2 TB.  Modified food starch is made from bland carbs like wheat, potatoes, and tapioca, sounds like a pretty basic carbohydrate to me.

https://www.bobsredmill.com/blog/featured-articles/modified-food-starch-demystified/

It tastes like regular whole milk. The Maltodextrin is supposed to be counted as sugar carbs though. The bread  I eat has less carbs.

Edited by GlorifiedRice (log)

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

2 hours ago, GlorifiedRice said:

The Maltodextrin is supposed to be counted as sugar carbs though. 

OK, according to whom?

I understand that sugars and starches are made of the same stuff, and some starches may be as quickly metabolized as sugars, but in practical use (at least my experience in baking and confections) maltodextrin is not a sugar or sugar substitute.  If it doesn't taste like sugar or act like sugar in cooking, why do you consider it sugar?  And have you contacted the manufacturer about it?  If their nutrition labels really are wrong, they should want to know.

I'll check my FDA labeling guide and see what they say about sugars and total carbohydrates, but that'll take a minute ...

Edited by pastrygirl (log)

Here's what the FDA says about carbohydrates and sugars for nutrition labeling.  From the 2013 Food Labeling Guide:

How is total carbohydrate calculated?  Total carbohydrate is calculated by subtracting the weight of the crude protein, total fat, moisture, and ash from the total weight of the sample of the food.

Does total carbohydrate include dietary fiber?  Yes.  Dietary fiber must be listed as a sub-component under total carbohydrate.

What is meant by sugars on the nutrition facts label?  To calculate sugars for the nutrition facts label, determine the weight in grams of all free monosachharides and disachharides in the sample of the food.

Under what circumstances is the listing of sugar alcohol required?  When a claim is made  on the label or in labeling about sugar alcohols or sugars when sugar alcohols are present in the food.

This diabetes study classifies maltodextrin as a maltooligosaccharide, not a mono-or di-sachharide or a sugar-alcohol.  https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3257742/  So if its not a sugar per se (mono- or disachharide) and they are not making claims about low sugar, it appears they are within the guidelines calling maltodextrin a carb. 

I hope that helps.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pastrygirl said:

OK, according to whom?

I understand that sugars and starches are made of the same stuff, and some starches may be as quickly metabolized as sugars, but in practical use (at least my experience in baking and confections) maltodextrin is not a sugar or sugar substitute.  If it doesn't taste like sugar or act like sugar in cooking, why do you consider it sugar?  And have you contacted the manufacturer about it?  If their nutrition labels really are wrong, they should want to know.

I'll check my FDA labeling guide and see what they say about sugars and total carbohydrates, but that'll take a minute ...

I looked up Maltodextrin Nutritional Labeling....

1 teaspoon is 3.81 gm carbs 3 of which are sugars

https://www.fatsecret.com/calories-nutrition/generic/maltodextrin

• Like 1

Wawa Sizzli FTW!