• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anything odd about these carb counts to you?

GlorifiedRice

16 minutes ago, JeanneCake said:

It looks like it could be some type of soy based "butter" or spread.  Or a soy mayonnaise?

Both of those would have more fat.

IMO, it looks like a cheese-like food product. Some frozen desserts have a similar profile, but have more sweeteners.

18 g carbs, 1g protein and 1.5g fat account for the calories listed.

ingredients are listed in order of amount present.  Although the first is tofu, the second is maltodextrin and the third is food starch which would account for the 18 g carbs in 2 tablespoons of product.

What leaps out to me is that 0 grams of dietary fiber is listed as 1% of the daily amount. :P

Doubtless it's a rounding thing, but it struck my eye as odd/amusing. 

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Its soy milk.

Its the best soy milk ever.

It says it has minus 1gm sugar and 0 gm fiber. Then what kinda carbs is it?

There are 3 kinds of carbs, sugar, fiber or sugar alcohols, If its got no fiber and little sugar why arent those 18 gms carbs listed as something.

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

27 minutes ago, GlorifiedRice said:

It says it has minus 1gm sugar and 0 gm fiber. Then what kinda carbs is it?

There are 3 kinds of carbs, sugar, fiber or sugar alcohols, If its got no fiber and little sugar why arent those 18 gms carbs listed as something.

*Less than* 1 gram sugar ...

The FDA doesn't require nutrition labeling for all the different kinds of carbohydrates.  The new version being phased in has total sugars and added sugars, but not different forms of sugars.  Is this like a coffee creamer?  If the serving size is 2 TB, they're not expecting you to drink it by the glass, and the maltodextrin and food starch ought to make it pretty thick.  I don't know what exactly modified food starch is - nutritionally akin to cornstarch or wheat flour, maybe?  I'd consider those pretty straightforward, simple carbs.

1 minute ago, pastrygirl said:

*Less than* 1 gram sugar ...

The FDA doesn't require nutrition labeling for all the different kinds of carbohydrates.  The new version being phased in has total sugars and added sugars, but not different forms of sugars.  Is this like a coffee creamer?  If the serving size is 2 TB, they're not expecting you to drink it by the glass, and the maltodextrin and food starch ought to make it pretty thick.  I don't know what exactly modified food starch is - nutritionally akin to cornstarch or wheat flour, maybe?  I'd consider those pretty straightforward, simple carbs.

Its not coffee creamer its soy milk, it used to be sold in liquid form in UHT boxes. 2 T per 8 oz water. It does not get thick.

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

And 90 calories seems awfully high for 2 Tbsps of soy milk.

Edited to add: Oh, just saw the last comment. It's 2 tbsps of powder added to 8 oz of water. Makes more sense. 

Edited by FauxPas
to acknowledge previous post! (log)

Just now, GlorifiedRice said:

Its not coffee creamer its soy milk, it used to be sold in liquid form in UHT boxes. 2 T per 8 oz water. It does not get thick.

Interesting.  Haven't bought much soy milk, would not have guessed that it needs to be re-constituted.

17 minutes ago, GlorifiedRice said:

I dont want them to stop making the soy milk cause its heavenly!

Which is why I dont wanna name it. But clearly the nutritional list is bollocks.

What is the recourse here? Write to the company?

Is this product actually labeled "soy milk"?  I ask because it sounds like one of the "Better Than Milk" soy powders that are about as close to true soy milk as coffee creamers are to powdered milk. 

1 hour ago, GlorifiedRice said:

I dont want them to stop making the soy milk cause its heavenly!

Which is why I dont wanna name it. But clearly the nutritional list is bollocks.

What is the recourse here? Write to the company?

I vote for chucking it in the bin.  Even if the numbers don’t make sense, the ingredients do not lie about its poor nutritional value to one’s diet.  Just my opinion, no harm intended.

How do you think it should have been labeled, with the starches listed as sugars instead of under total carbohydrates? 

Is it sweet?  18 grams of granulated sugar in a cup of milk would be pretty sweet, that's 1-1/2 TB.  Modified food starch is made from bland carbs like wheat, potatoes, and tapioca, sounds like a pretty basic carbohydrate to me.

https://www.bobsredmill.com/blog/featured-articles/modified-food-starch-demystified/

Edited by pastrygirl (log)