Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

GlorifiedRice

Anything odd about these carb counts to you?

Recommended Posts

What's the food?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Must be a good bit of the sugar & the starch and awfully concentrated 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It does seem odd compared to the protein, since tofu is the first ingredient.  But tofu has a lot of water, and the maltodextrin and food starch combined could make up more of the product than the tofu.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It looks like it could be some type of soy based "butter" or spread.  Or a soy mayonnaise?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, JeanneCake said:

It looks like it could be some type of soy based "butter" or spread.  Or a soy mayonnaise?

Both of those would have more fat.

 

IMO, it looks like a cheese-like food product. Some frozen desserts have a similar profile, but have more sweeteners.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

18 g carbs, 1g protein and 1.5g fat account for the calories listed.

ingredients are listed in order of amount present.  Although the first is tofu, the second is maltodextrin and the third is food starch which would account for the 18 g carbs in 2 tablespoons of product.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What leaps out to me is that 0 grams of dietary fiber is listed as 1% of the daily amount. :P

 

Doubtless it's a rounding thing, but it struck my eye as odd/amusing. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The low protein content with tofu as the first ingredient seems odd to me too.

Not sure what it is but I would probably not re-purchase.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its soy milk.

Its the best soy milk ever.

It says it has minus 1gm sugar and 0 gm fiber. Then what kinda carbs is it?

There are 3 kinds of carbs, sugar, fiber or sugar alcohols, If its got no fiber and little sugar why arent those 18 gms carbs listed as something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I never noticed that protein count before, that is odd.

This soy milk has been out for years and years. I cant get why no one has questioned the nutritional label before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, GlorifiedRice said:

It says it has minus 1gm sugar and 0 gm fiber. Then what kinda carbs is it?

There are 3 kinds of carbs, sugar, fiber or sugar alcohols, If its got no fiber and little sugar why arent those 18 gms carbs listed as something.

 

*Less than* 1 gram sugar ...

 

The FDA doesn't require nutrition labeling for all the different kinds of carbohydrates.  The new version being phased in has total sugars and added sugars, but not different forms of sugars.  Is this like a coffee creamer?  If the serving size is 2 TB, they're not expecting you to drink it by the glass, and the maltodextrin and food starch ought to make it pretty thick.  I don't know what exactly modified food starch is - nutritionally akin to cornstarch or wheat flour, maybe?  I'd consider those pretty straightforward, simple carbs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, pastrygirl said:

 

*Less than* 1 gram sugar ...

 

The FDA doesn't require nutrition labeling for all the different kinds of carbohydrates.  The new version being phased in has total sugars and added sugars, but not different forms of sugars.  Is this like a coffee creamer?  If the serving size is 2 TB, they're not expecting you to drink it by the glass, and the maltodextrin and food starch ought to make it pretty thick.  I don't know what exactly modified food starch is - nutritionally akin to cornstarch or wheat flour, maybe?  I'd consider those pretty straightforward, simple carbs.

 

Its not coffee creamer its soy milk, it used to be sold in liquid form in UHT boxes. 2 T per 8 oz water. It does not get thick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And 90 calories seems awfully high for 2 Tbsps of soy milk.

 

Edited to add: Oh, just saw the last comment. It's 2 tbsps of powder added to 8 oz of water. Makes more sense. 


Edited by FauxPas to acknowledge previous post! (log)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, GlorifiedRice said:

 

Its not coffee creamer its soy milk, it used to be sold in liquid form in UHT boxes. 2 T per 8 oz water. It does not get thick.

 

Interesting.  Haven't bought much soy milk, would not have guessed that it needs to be re-constituted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, FauxPas said:

And 90 calories seems awfully high for 2 Tbsps of soy milk.

 

 

Yeah something isnt right... Its so good though

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, pastrygirl said:

 

Interesting.  Haven't bought much soy milk, would not have guessed that it needs to be re-constituted.

 

I wrote that wrong the liquid version was ready to drink

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, GlorifiedRice said:

 

I wrote that wrong the liquid version was ready to drink

 

 

Ah.  So this is a powdered version - 2TB of soy milk powder plus liquid to make a serving?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, pastrygirl said:

 

Ah.  So this is a powdered version - 2TB of soy milk powder plus liquid to make a serving?

 

Yes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 Tablespoons of Maltodextrin is 26 gm carbs and 108 cals AND all 26 of those are sugars...

This labeling cannot be true.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I can make reconstituted Coffeemate original for less carbs and calories?

 

D98EMEd.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dont want them to stop making the soy milk cause its heavenly!

Which is why I dont wanna name it. But clearly the nutritional list is bollocks.

What is the recourse here? Write to the company?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, GlorifiedRice said:

I dont want them to stop making the soy milk cause its heavenly!

Which is why I dont wanna name it. But clearly the nutritional list is bollocks.

What is the recourse here? Write to the company?

 

Is this product actually labeled "soy milk"?  I ask because it sounds like one of the "Better Than Milk" soy powders that are about as close to true soy milk as coffee creamers are to powdered milk. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GlorifiedRice said:

I dont want them to stop making the soy milk cause its heavenly!

Which is why I dont wanna name it. But clearly the nutritional list is bollocks.

What is the recourse here? Write to the company?

I vote for chucking it in the bin.  Even if the numbers don’t make sense, the ingredients do not lie about its poor nutritional value to one’s diet.  Just my opinion, no harm intended.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How do you think it should have been labeled, with the starches listed as sugars instead of under total carbohydrates? 

 

Is it sweet?  18 grams of granulated sugar in a cup of milk would be pretty sweet, that's 1-1/2 TB.  Modified food starch is made from bland carbs like wheat, potatoes, and tapioca, sounds like a pretty basic carbohydrate to me.

 

https://www.bobsredmill.com/blog/featured-articles/modified-food-starch-demystified/

 

 

 


Edited by pastrygirl (log)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×