• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Drinks! 2018

Smokeydoke

13 minutes ago, Orbit said:

A simple gin and tonic today

The good ol' G&T is always somewhere near the top of my rotation. 

• Like 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

8 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

For me it is more of a sequence: first some G&Ts, then comes the rotation ...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Hey, I'd like to know what you guys think about this Cocktail.

It's called Sorrel Swizzle. It's a Christmas-y cocktail but I think it can be enjoyed all through this season as long as you have access to  the ingredients.

Ingredients

6 mint leaves

1/2 oz Lime juice

1 oz Simple syrup

5 Slices of bay leaf

1.5 oz Sorrel Juice

2oz White Oak Coconut

Directions

Add mint leaves and bay leaf to glass.

Add lime juice, sorrel juice, simple syrup, rum and crushed ice.

Swizzle ingredients in glass to marry ingredients together.

Top with more ice.

Add 4 dashes of angostura aromatic bitters to complete cocktail.

Enjoy!

MixersAnonTT| Cocktails • Craft • Culture • Trinidad and Tobago • Caribbean

• 4 months later...

Haven't felt like having straight whiskey for a while now. But I just poured myself some. Happy me.

Have been drinking mostly beer as of late. Mostly NEIPAs and similar, as well as weizens and some local and European lagers.

I also made some limoncello and orangecello, as well as some experimental infusions and cocoa liquor. We haven't had any of those yet.

What are you been drinking? Not enough traffic in those threads...

• Like 2

~ Shai N.

16 minutes ago, shain said:

Haven't felt like having straight whiskey for a while now. But I just poured myself some. Happy me.

Have been drinking mostly beer as of late. Mostly NEIPAs and similar, as well as weizens and some local and European lagers.

I also made some limoncello and orangecello, as well as some experimental infusions and cocoa liquor. We haven't had any of those yet.

What are you been drinking? Not enough traffic in those threads...

Mai tai's, the occasional Mississippi punch.  I brought twelve limes home this afternoon.

Did you really need to hear that?

• Haha 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Friday it was warm enough here (86ºF) for the first margarita of the year.

Today it's back in the mid 50s so it'll be a Clam Digger for me.

• Like 3

Scotch on the rocks. Medicinal. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

37 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Scotch on the rocks. Medicinal. 

I always thought Scotch tasted like medicine.

4 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I always thought Scotch tasted like medicine.

Love, love, love my medicine. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

39 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Love, love, love my medicine. 

My mother used to give me paregoric, more fun and it tastes better.

My buddy Nige and I came up with the GP, a Gin and Prosecco. Tastes light like Prosecco but adds a bit more complexity and intensity. Proportions 40:60 G:P but obviously adaptable. Quaffable and deadly.

• Like 3

On 1/2/2021 at 2:27 PM, Tri2Cook said:

What's your favorite brand of Gin?

13 hours ago, Kerala said:

My buddy Nige and I came up with the GP, a Gin and Prosecco. Tastes light like Prosecco but adds a bit more complexity and intensity. Proportions 40:60 G:P but obviously adaptable. Quaffable and deadly.

i definitely need to try that!

• Like 1

I have been enjoying various versions of the Perazzi cocktail from the Bestia cookbook.  The header notes do not credit a specific bartender.   

EFD83050-22DC-4AC1-AC23-08326C834D1B_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.f0e7d07b02601e6c727a647a9fd8e5b2.jpeg

My usual amari cocktails tend to be darker, high proof things for sipping and savoring.   This one is light and works very well with food but I find the character of the amari still come through.  Would be a nice intro to amari for those with fears of things dark and bitter. 

Shake with ice:

0.75 oz Amaro CiaCiaro, Averna or Meletti Amaro

0.75 oz Aperol (I've used Cappelletti red aperitivo about half the time and prefer it)

0.50 oz fresh lemon juice

Strain into a coupe and top with 2.0 oz Prosecco (I prefer brut but a somewhat sweeter type also works.)  Twist of orange zest to garnish.

So far, in addition to the amari named in the recipe, I've also made the cocktail with these amari and non-amari:

Amaro Angeleno

Amaro Delle Sirene

Bigallet China-China

Cardamaro

Carpano Antica vermouth

Cynar

Fernet Vallet

Grand Poppy Amaro

Montenegro

Nardini

Nonino

Ramazzotti

Zucca Rabarbaro

My favorites so far are Averna, Cardamaro and Rabarbaro. 

• Like 2

On 5/9/2021 at 9:06 AM, lindag said:

What's your favorite brand of Gin?

Honestly, whatever I happen to have in my cabinet at the moment. :D I have Beefeater, Broker's and Hendrick's right now but that could very possibly change when I need to restock.

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

As staff were leaving the building tonight, one librarian* wondered aloud how much longer before things returned to normal.  I said I doubted things would ever return to normal -- "not in my lifetime, maybe in yours."  (This woman is a young thing who still lives with her mother.)  She clarified, just until we didn't have to sanitize so much.  "My idea of sanitizing is to go home and drink rum."

Same with her mother, she exclaimed!  "Except for her it's gin."  Her mother claims gin sanitizes and thins the blood.  The gins I have on hand are Bombay (original), Tanqueray Malacca, Magellan, and Diep 9 Old Genever.  The Genever I reserve for Hemmingway's Death in the Gulfstream.  Highly recommended.  Magellan makes a mean Aviation.  More so if your traditional creme de violette is made from little bugs.

*"Of course it's alright for librarians to smell of drink."  -- Barbara Pym

DP825288.jpg

Hogarth Gin Lane 1751, Public Domain.  As much as things change they always stay the same.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

On 5/11/2021 at 1:08 PM, blue_dolphin said:

I have been enjoying various versions of the Perazzi cocktail from the Bestia cookbook.  The header notes do not credit a specific bartender.   

EFD83050-22DC-4AC1-AC23-08326C834D1B_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.f0e7d07b02601e6c727a647a9fd8e5b2.jpeg

My usual amari cocktails tend to be darker, high proof things for sipping and savoring.   This one is light and works very well with food but I find the character of the amari still come through.  Would be a nice intro to amari for those with fears of things dark and bitter. 

Shake with ice:

0.75 oz Amaro CiaCiaro, Averna or Meletti Amaro

0.75 oz Aperol (I've used Cappelletti red aperitivo about half the time and prefer it)

0.50 oz fresh lemon juice

Strain into a coupe and top with 2.0 oz Prosecco (I prefer brut but a somewhat sweeter type also works.)  Twist of orange zest to garnish.

So far, in addition to the amari named in the recipe, I've also made the cocktail with these amari and non-amari:

Amaro Angeleno

Amaro Delle Sirene

Bigallet China-China

Cardamaro

Carpano Antica vermouth

Cynar

Fernet Vallet

Grand Poppy Amaro

Montenegro

Nardini

Nonino

Ramazzotti

Zucca Rabarbaro

My favorites so far are Averna, Cardamaro and Rabarbaro. 

add bourbon and you have a paper plane.

1oz aperol

1oz amaro nonino

1oz lemon juice

1oz bourbon

I am generally not a brown spirits drinker but love this cocktail

• Like 2

@Kerala 

wow.  wha an evil suggestion add Gin 

to a fizzy wine , etc.

I tried just now

a still white wine

my Table White from TJ's

TJ's Coastal Chardonay

from TJ's Maricool  Muscadet 

I mix these :  60 % MM // 40% TJCC

sometimes I MR them

soo

I added just a bit of BBS to the mixture.

nice   very nice probably too nice

beware !

drunk.jpeg.330ad73c0e7f52d452fdcd0227cb7b0b.jpeg

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 9 months later...

Homemade (by infusing vodka) spiced rakomelo.

Infused anise, cardamom, fennel seeds, orange zest and cinnamon. Served warm and diluted, with honey added.

Crackers and pickles on the side.

PXL_20220217_210525144.jpg

• Like 6

~ Shai N.

• 4 months later...
11 hours ago, haresfur said:

Came up with a drink to use some of my rose-hip vinegar and syrup that wasn't too bad and decided it should be immortalized in Kindred Cocktails for posterity. Besides I'm proud of the name, Floribunda, because it is a rose shrub. Rim-shot, Ba-dum. Might up the gin next time.

Sounds good, though I confess I found the recipe intimidating even before mention of staph infection!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Craig E said:

Sounds good, though I confess I found the recipe intimidating even before mention of staph infection!

I think I'll try the syrup in a collins next. The flavour isn't overwhelming which is why I didn't want to use too assertive a gin.

I hope I don't find anything really great to do with it because I might be tempted to harvest the rose hips again. The infection was pretty freaky. It seemed to be clearing up on its own but my Dr. put me on antibiotics for something unrelated and that knocked it out.

It's almost never bad to feed someone.