• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Smokeydoke

Drinks! 2018

Yesterday, @Kerry Beal shared a menu offering a Cherry Negroni using Dillon's Cherry Gin, which sounds interesting but isn't something I've seen around here  But it got me to thinking about a Sloe Gin Negroni.  I found 2 previous mentions here on eG.  This one suggested using a standard recipe with "half a measure of sloe gin"  while this one omitted regular gin and went with equal parts sloe gin, campari and sweet vermouth plus some orange bitters. 

I picked a recipe from the Sipsmith website:  equal parts London dry gin (I used Tanquery), sloe gin (Plymouth), Campari and sweet vermouth (Cocchi) with an orange wedge. 

I quite liked it. 

Edited by blue_dolphin Spelling (log)
  • Like 3

Tried Zachary Pearson's Sunny Disposition with some subs.

• 2 oz Blanco tequila (El Mayor)
  • 1/2 oz Suze (Bittermens Amere Sauvage)
  • 1/2 oz Dry apricot brandy (Rothman & Winter Orchard Apricot liqueur)
  • 1/2 oz Lemon juice
  • 1 ds Bitters, Boker's (Fee Bros. Cardamom bitters)

I recognize that the brandy spec'ed in the recipe is quite different from (namely, far less sweet than) the apricot liqueur I have on hand, but the comments on Kindred encouraged me to try the sub nonetheless. 

This wasn't delicious and with the relentless bitterness of the Amere Sauvage it is not a crowd pleaser. But it was super interesting. Very green agave aroma, maybe even pickles. Sip is where the fruit enters, apricot but also white grapefruit. Then in the finish the raspy wooden bitterness joins up with the grapefruit. That long bitterness pushes you to the next sip. Fun drink inasmuch as the character changes strikingly between nose and sip and swallow.

• Like 2

Used my sage syrup (from a pre-frost harvesting from my garden) in a Tom Collins riff:

• 2 1/4 oz Uncle Val's Botanical gin
  • juice of 1 1/2 small lemons
  • 3/4 oz sage syrup
  • club soda to top
  • fennel bitters float

Yum!

sagetomcollins 1.png

• Like 2

Fitty-fitty. Here's to Nick and Nora.

nFUc668mavrWZsWko0X2aBncRSdEA3tcQLFxhUjGyHaiMWg-oKSRAil6ts_QJK1NtK0hSZ0eQ7uD17huPv3w4GJiXVJpi3yqMNLW7WqsiYLg63x8YDMSBvKY_7uwMHP2U8hoAltPffVGk8a22ijERopgmiq5SvaKxgBVyWgJQCF2IRX2Xv1fNjMGm854fTm_49bjyHn_URfo1yD8WWTRC_CGNBrFjP_YGgr5pDL-tWtjONIapwlubvpgb4beWRm-h1ArBZ0iYAiJ88gQBRTWqdlgOIxoecdyo7VHGzNJxSbq41ncIRJore1TZ_67p-DwKJ7sGGIh4lRCu9gcojmmEXs0h-bvpaMjZf42HIMSOHyzpacthq4XiGjNsyR9ufb2OP8Dro8MwbWRbO9W3KoMjvIzo9433xGaK7iSg7BhE7SZx7AHgtNtDM32e5WSEao97tA1SPyII8IJuw5YJaTruoQeYUwTwQIrDqcvoNmBR4A71rbonadz5ihTmX-bY_U93BG9zEnWoJwyb3OELGozKeAxFg1ILO4_2yW7JivyditlHWf95U_-whcgF2E5PolCq-bFICePUtCZwSGlwQGsPISG_VwXrkxWcnAyBkkJEnL023ZGTXLhsfEVYR_bxfrZpMjJKh35XuNFvaA9bbX0W4ISwuWA0jAvHuTObJgvuk1OTJao9Gf1CA=w2841-h1956-no

110SMLdlDou9g48z9G9QOFn3EeofGL6sHUOGqw-yOkQUI4tHdgEBcV7J6Nkmj2E1MfuI6LVA8mXjihu_jMA4YCW-02Xz_uYjFLXHAkeKATFrLNsJLkXXM2LjMMVmhM7q-LDRwAtV4vk7WMZvxF4HrFnbVP4jwsu8v3GPeUQGBylPzskp3iZqU3aScCqq37zAQA0qqELQUAFN5c93EcqKZGywEggh_nqHYwyAKuSw4Xyf3UgTyPK8ixNkpcxBVSALk3ZBs25OErccvVhGGKVgz4mStdUFIaQKd2GdW61fSfPoodydO7CMGndwN_QSPrmtBcv-0ON7A4tQEtKDhbB5RlyzcVmgqYEyJK8LBNVB5mqalkYQ3xo-x3KqD6ZsqCuP1CwcYnpZIJx9RZSy7KCXpp87xEGZZ_WDglez5_mkWhazZ72tSvbY9naIsW1eDGMBpMleSJc0Esb-us_fxBX3O-cJHPL541vnqkHhSZFw_fmOpe38r6V9DDthARWo99BJpL9fz2s1QMYv-DDyJx6kC5XqlqBPMx-u11ENkn8If2e65w89oPXhzqTZMWi_Lr0QkspMxHvR89ssfxpt3Ji1PDU_Hgj00E-DDL-nAMVeszvjRy5JUR8V85_I0RehKd-1toBTXqjR4UKET3W7sJuqtfb4QsBH0j6ig2LjKbQmOmmW_GMfzmPC4g=w2022-h1956-no

• Like 4

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

The Onion chimes in about cocktails: 

"Cocktail Menu Scanned For Drink With Fewest Unfamiliar Ingredients"

“Elderflower? That’s definitely out, and this one seems to be mostly whiskey, but God only knows what gomme syrup is supposed to be,” said Voss, visibly attempting to remain composed in front of his date as he paged through a leather-bound menu of inscrutable infusions, obscure tropical fruits, and entire phrases in French.

• Like 2

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

gin + tonic + lavender bitters (Scrappy's) 

super easy fast and tastes great 

anything added like lime etc might just block the lavender taste

• Like 4

16 hours ago, haresfur said:

A simple martini variation, but I'm quite happy with it (and I have dry vermouth on hand that should be used up)

Nightingale

martini with pimento dram
1 12 oz Gin, Tanqueray
12 oz Dry vermouth, Noilly Prat
2 bsp Allspice Dram

Thanks, tried this tonight and quite enjoyed it. A martini crossed with a pink gin. The dram (I used homemade, from the Serious Eats recipe) comes in on the finish, reminding me of winter holiday festivity. 

nightingale 1.png

Edited by Craig E added pic (log)
  • Like 1