• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Smokeydoke

Drinks! 2018

A few recent cocktails from my limited, but slowly growing, bar.

156893875_MyPost.thumb.jpg.4e549e393f3d354a85eb8d729a21b0d5.jpg\\

Clockwise from top left:

• Negroni
  • Income Tax
  • Smoky Martini
  • Old Pal

• Like 7

Mystic Wood
by Kelly Swenson, Ten-01, Portland, OR

• 2 oz Rye
  • 1/2 oz Cherry Heering (Tattersall sour cherry)
  • 1/2 oz Rothman & Winter apricot
  • 2 dashes Angostura

On reading this seemed like an unexceptional Manhattan variant, and both cherry and apricot liqueurs seem hit-or-miss to me in mixed drinks, but I liked this. 

• Like 3

Cherry and apricot, wow
Although this ratio seems to give you quite a sweet drink. I think reducing the liqueur a bit would get something more balanced.

Raging Bull (Kindred Cocktails):

1 oz tequilla (El Ladrón Blue Agave Spirit)

1 oz aquavit (Linnie)

1 oz Averna (Nonino)

5 drops Xocolatl Mole Bitters (tried without, 5 drops and 8 drops - 5 was the sweet spot)

orange twist

Stir, strain (build on ice)

A less sweet Brave Bull but I'm not sure it is that much better, even with the upscaled tequilla and Nonino. I will have to try the bitters in my next Brave Bull.

No photo: imagine something brown in a glass. I really need a lesson in cutting citrus twists.

Btw, I haven't been drinking much recently. Maybe someone will take advantage of me...

• Like 1

Paper Plane

It is supposed to be lemon juice instead of lime but I didn't get some at this moment. The recipe calls for equal parts but I put a little bit more of citrus and it was still too sweet, had to add 2 ice cube in the glass 😅

Also, I took the opportunity to try Montenegro neat and wow that was something ! I definitely wasn't expecting this taste 😁 a mix of a more conventional maro and some chemical soda but it was actually quite good haha

IMG_20181016_110536.jpg

• Like 1

well, it seems that I did not use the proper amaro once again  (it is Difford's fault this time 😝)

Sam Ross's recipe calls for ' Nonino Quintessentia amaro ' which I guess should be less sweet than montenegro

Overhead light in my bar is on the fritz but I didn't let that deter me. 

Tried Panic Button
by Dewberry Hotel, Charleston, SC

• 1 1/2 oz Bourbon
  • 3/4 oz Averna
  • 1/2 oz Campari
  • 1/2 oz Cherry Heering (Tattersall Sour Cherry)
  • 1/4 oz Lemon juice
  • 1 twst Lemon peel (Expressed)

The recipe calls for a small ice ball in the coupe as a "garnish," which seems gimmicky but I dutifully executed.

The result: I got a strong Angostura bitters flavor from this: the woody, cherry, clovey, bitter flavors that I know and like from Ango-heavy drinks like the Trinidad Sour came immediately to mind. 

IMG_4324 1.png

• Like 4

For “Old Fashioned Week” I decided I wanted to try and create my own version of the classic drink.  I needed some inspiration….

I’ve always looked up to my older cousin. He is now a Canadian Diplomat and an all around amazing guy (even though he once traded me a worthless Pat Falloon hockey card for my Paul Kariya rookie card).
I have since forgiven him, and decided to make a drink in his honor.

I wanted to make a drink that resembled him as close as possible so here it goes:

2 Oz DIPLOMATico Rhum
.25 oz Pure Canadian Maple Sugar
A few drops of Manitoba Made Law Abiding Aromatic Bitters
Topped with an orange twist

Stirred on ice, and strained into an old fashioned glass over a large ice ball. Finished with an orange twist.

My cousin is also known for always wearing formal clothing, ties, suits, etc -even to non formal events…so I decided to stage one photo for him as well(see images)

Full Recipe & Others Here

Delon drink.jpg

Delon Tie.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, damaaster said:

For “Old Fashioned Week” I decided I wanted to try and create my own version of the classic drink.  I needed some inspiration….

I’ve always looked up to my older cousin. He is now a Canadian Diplomat and an all around amazing guy (even though he once traded me a worthless Pat Falloon hockey card for my Paul Kariya rookie card).

I wanted to make a drink that resembled him as close as possible so here it goes:

2 Oz DIPLOMATico Rhum

Stirred on ice, and strained into an old fashioned glass over a large ice ball. Finished with an orange twist.

My cousin is also known for always wearing formal clothing, ties, suits, etc -even to non formal events…so I decided to stage one photo for him as well(see images)

Delon drink.jpg

Delon Tie.jpg

I can see you have totally forgiven him!

Stumbled across the recipe for the Kal Katz, a 1932 recipe from Havana that traveled via Tom Sandham's book and Frederic Yarm's blog to @Rafa's post on Kindred Cocktails. An unpredictable mix of ingredients:

• 1 oz light rum
  • 1 oz dry vermouth
  • 1 oz pineapple juice
  • dash creme de menthe
  • dash maraschino

Clean and open, with flavors playing together well. Would no doubt be still better with a higher quality creme de menthe than what I have in stock. Likably interesting.

kalkatz 1.png

• Like 5

On 11/9/2018 at 2:15 PM, damaaster said:

2 Oz DIPLOMATico Rhum

Delon drink.jpg

Delon Tie.jpg

Hard to go wrong with that rum!  That stuff is wonderful.  Sounds likes a great recipe, and nice photos, too!

On 11/30/2018 at 9:25 AM, brinza said:

Hard to go wrong with that rum!  That stuff is wonderful.  Sounds likes a great recipe, and nice photos, too!

No Doubt...I've been buying Diplomatico for a couple years now - its my go to rum - for rum old fashioned's...but mostly just as a nice sipper. So good.

I have been enjoying the baharat/spice mixture from Alon Shaya's cookbook, Shaya and decided to make a Baharat Old Fashioned, following Dave Arnold's Cliff Old Fashioned from Liquid Intelligence that uses a coriander simple syrup as the sweetener.  

fullsizeoutput_3900.thumb.jpeg.3d14919f0b0ca137f2e8799746bbc6c8.jpeg

2 oz bourbon + 3/8 oz baharat syrup.  Orange twist. Delicious!

The baharat contains:

6 T whole allspice berries

1 t black peppercorns

1/4 t whole cumin seeds

48 cardamom pods

28 whole cloves

2 dried rosebuds

2 T ground cinnamon

2 t Aleppo pepper

1 1/2 t freshly grated nutmeg

The baharat syrup was 25 g baharat + 110 g water + 100 g sugar + 2 g Aleppo pepper warmed to dissolve, then filtered. 

• Like 4

I think this one may be the prettiest drink I've made so far.  It was delicious too - and went down easy (for 3 oz of bourbon).

Maraschino Sour.

3 oz Buffalo Trace

1 oz Maraschino Syrup

1 oz Lemon Juice

.75 oz Egg White

The foam from the egg white really came out great on this one for me - I gave it a few more shakes than normal!

Maraschino Sour 1.jpg

Maraschino Sour 2.jpg

• Like 2

Very pretty!  Is there a maraschino syrup you recommend?

15 hours ago, teapot said:

Very pretty!  Is there a maraschino syrup you recommend?

This was just using the generic crap from the supermarket..

I've heard Luxardo are the gold standard - unfortunately I can't get them where I live (though I am considering ordering some).