• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

A few recent cocktails from my limited, but slowly growing, bar.

156893875_MyPost.thumb.jpg.4e549e393f3d354a85eb8d729a21b0d5.jpg\\

Clockwise from top left:

• Negroni
  • Income Tax
  • Smoky Martini
  • Old Pal

• Like 5

Mystic Wood
by Kelly Swenson, Ten-01, Portland, OR

• 2 oz Rye
  • 1/2 oz Cherry Heering (Tattersall sour cherry)
  • 1/2 oz Rothman & Winter apricot
  • 2 dashes Angostura

On reading this seemed like an unexceptional Manhattan variant, and both cherry and apricot liqueurs seem hit-or-miss to me in mixed drinks, but I liked this. 

• Like 3

Cherry and apricot, wow
Although this ratio seems to give you quite a sweet drink. I think reducing the liqueur a bit would get something more balanced.

It probably helped that my cherry liqueur sub is quite sour. 

Raging Bull (Kindred Cocktails):

1 oz tequilla (El Ladrón Blue Agave Spirit)

1 oz aquavit (Linnie)

1 oz Averna (Nonino)

5 drops Xocolatl Mole Bitters (tried without, 5 drops and 8 drops - 5 was the sweet spot)

orange twist

Stir, strain (build on ice)

A less sweet Brave Bull but I'm not sure it is that much better, even with the upscaled tequilla and Nonino. I will have to try the bitters in my next Brave Bull.

No photo: imagine something brown in a glass. I really need a lesson in cutting citrus twists.

Btw, I haven't been drinking much recently. Maybe someone will take advantage of me...

• Like 1

Paper Plane

It is supposed to be lemon juice instead of lime but I didn't get some at this moment. The recipe calls for equal parts but I put a little bit more of citrus and it was still too sweet, had to add 2 ice cube in the glass 😅

Also, I took the opportunity to try Montenegro neat and wow that was something ! I definitely wasn't expecting this taste 😁 a mix of a more conventional maro and some chemical soda but it was actually quite good haha

IMG_20181016_110536.jpg

well, it seems that I did not use the proper amaro once again  (it is Difford's fault this time 😝)

Sam Ross's recipe calls for ' Nonino Quintessentia amaro ' which I guess should be less sweet than montenegro