• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Drinks! 2018

Smokeydoke

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/17/2020 at 12:50 PM, scamhi said:

made a daiquiri with 2oz Pierre Fernand Stiggins Pineapple rum. 1 oz fresh lime juice and 1/2oz 1:1 simple.

Well now you've got me wondering about 2oz Plantation Stiggin's, 1/2oz lime, 1/2oz Pierre Ferrand dry curacao.

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

11 hours ago, EvergreenDan said:

Well now you've got me wondering about 2oz Plantation Stiggin's, 1/2oz lime, 1/2oz Pierre Ferrand dry curacao.

not sure I would want to introduce orange flavor to compete with the pineapple--- but GO FOR IT! 

12 minutes ago, kayb said:

@blue_dolphin -- I love the glasses the dacquiri and the gimlet (I think, without looking back) were in. The ones with the twisted stem. Gorgeous!

Thanks!  All 50 cent - $1.00 thrift store finds! I have a nice little collection, all in ones, twos or threes, and love picking the glass as much as picking the cocktail to make!

• Like 1

Where have you been my whole life?

Roycroft Cocktail
by Gary Crunkleton, The Crunkleton, Chapel Hill, North Carolina (USA)

1 oz Rye, Rittenhouse
1/2 oz Herbal liqueur, Green Chartreuse
1/2 oz Bénédictine
1/2 oz Cherry Liqueur, Cherry Heering
1 oz Lemon juice
1 sli Ginger (as garnish)

Shake; strain; up; garnish.

--
kindredcocktails.com | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

5 hours ago, EvergreenDan said:

Where have you been my whole life?

Roycroft Cocktail
by Gary Crunkleton, The Crunkleton, Chapel Hill, North Carolina (USA)

1 oz Rye, Rittenhouse
1/2 oz Herbal liqueur, Green Chartreuse
1/2 oz Bénédictine
1/2 oz Cherry Liqueur, Cherry Heering
1 oz Lemon juice
1 sli Ginger (as garnish)

Shake; strain; up; garnish.

--
kindredcocktails.com | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

Nice, that’s a winner in my house. 

• Like 1

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Very good.

Naked and Famous
by Joaquin Simo, Death & Co, New York, NY

3/4 oz Mezcal, Del Maguey Chichicapa (or Vida)
3/4 oz Herbal liqueur, Yellow Chartreuse
3/4 oz Lime juice
3/4 oz Aperol

Shake, strain, straight up.

--

Edited by EvergreenDan (log)
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

The Tawny Orange Negroni:

1. Find some Wilikin & Sons Tawny Orange marmalade. Slather it on toast and bliss out every morning.

2. When you hit the bottom of the jar, resist the urge to lick it clean with your aardvark-like prehensile tongue. Save jar for later. Or just get on with it ...

3. Stir up a Negroni. I like 1-1/2 oz each:

-Campari

-Cocchi Vermouth di Torino

-Ford's gin

4. Strain into dirty marmalade jar with a big ice cube or two. Sip. Forget for the next 5 minutes that we're in a pandemic and the world is on fire.

tawny negroni.JPG

Edited by paulraphael (log)
  • Like 8
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 4

Notes from the underbelly

• 2 months later...

Made up something new, to make use of some fresh thyme left over from dinner: gin, aquavit, sloe gin, and vecchio amaro del capo. Started with equal parts but the flat-Coke flavor of the amaro was too strong. Halfway through I squeezed a little lemon juice in to see what would happen, but then decided that lost some subtlety. Second go was 1oz each Beefeater gin and Plymouth sloe gin, 1/2oz each del Capo and Tattersall aquavit, squeeze of lemon twist and thyme as garnish. Calling it the Holbein.

holbein 1.png

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 11/18/2019 at 2:17 AM, haresfur said:

A simple martini variation, but I'm quite happy with it (and I have dry vermouth on hand that should be used up)

Nightingale

martini with pimento dram
1 12 oz Gin, Tanqueray
12 oz Dry vermouth, Noilly Prat
2 bsp Allspice Dram

Was reminded of this by tonight's trial of Frederic Yarm's new Creole Poet, which adds Benedictine and Amer Picon (Amer Boudreau in my case) and orange bitters to a similar martini base. Recommended!

DEFBFE83-1040-46BC-9653-A15FF5521913.JPG

• Like 2

I searched for "passionfruit liqueur" rather than "passion fruit liqueur" here looking for inspiration to use my home made liqueur and only found one post, which was The Scirroco, and used the flavours as the basis for my own original cocktail.

It turned out fantastic, and amazingly carried the passion fruit flavour better than I could have hoped.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

variation on a drink I posted around 2012. Don't think this is any better but higher end brands would have helped

2 oz reposado tequila

1 oz Cinzano sweet vermouth

1 oz Nocino

3 drops Bitterman's xocolato bitters

Build over ice.

Maybe a touch of Mescal...

• Like 1

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

Were trying to finish up the supply of last year's limoncello and orangecello (in order to make more this winter).

One of our recent go to combinations is 2 parts orangecello to 1 part ouzo plus a few mint leaves.

Both are great simply with ice or with soda.

We also have an old super-strong delicious coffee infused vodka that deserves to see more attention. It's nice with milk and syrup, or even just syrup in tiny servings.

All three are great on ice cream as well.

Any more creative ideas?

• Like 3

~ Shai N.

• 4 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@shain

"   leftover wine  ""

never heard of it myself.

We never finish a bottle if we don't have guests to share with. However, it's rarely an issue, since we are happy to drink it the next day (I often prefer reds and some roses the next day).

But we didn't quite like this wine - good flavor but too acidic for being quite dry (to our taste).

• Like 1

~ Shai N.

ive been known to mix what I have left-over

after a night in the refrigerator.

table wine , not chit-chat wine .

and the key for me on table wine :  no benzene !

[ed.: Benzene = flavors of chemicals , not grapes .  very common ]

• Like 1

Every year I bring out this Holiday Drink Book from Peter Pauper Press, Mount Vernon, New York, 1951.  I think this came from my Grandfather Ralph Pink's collection. On a side note, my Mother always told the story of how her folks hid the gin behind the towels in the linen closet during prohibition.  I think these cocktails would be delicious today.

Image (16).jpgImage (17).jpgImage (18).jpgImage (19).jpgImage (20).jpgImage (21).jpg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...