• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Drinks! 2018

Smokeydoke

Yesterday, @Kerry Beal shared a menu offering a Cherry Negroni using Dillon's Cherry Gin, which sounds interesting but isn't something I've seen around here  But it got me to thinking about a Sloe Gin Negroni.  I found 2 previous mentions here on eG.  This one suggested using a standard recipe with "half a measure of sloe gin"  while this one omitted regular gin and went with equal parts sloe gin, campari and sweet vermouth plus some orange bitters. 

I picked a recipe from the Sipsmith website:  equal parts London dry gin (I used Tanquery), sloe gin (Plymouth), Campari and sweet vermouth (Cocchi) with an orange wedge. 

I quite liked it. 

Edited by blue_dolphin
Spelling (log)
  • Like 3

Tried Zachary Pearson's Sunny Disposition with some subs.

• 2 oz Blanco tequila (El Mayor)
  • 1/2 oz Suze (Bittermens Amere Sauvage)
  • 1/2 oz Dry apricot brandy (Rothman & Winter Orchard Apricot liqueur)
  • 1/2 oz Lemon juice
  • 1 ds Bitters, Boker's (Fee Bros. Cardamom bitters)

I recognize that the brandy spec'ed in the recipe is quite different from (namely, far less sweet than) the apricot liqueur I have on hand, but the comments on Kindred encouraged me to try the sub nonetheless. 

This wasn't delicious and with the relentless bitterness of the Amere Sauvage it is not a crowd pleaser. But it was super interesting. Very green agave aroma, maybe even pickles. Sip is where the fruit enters, apricot but also white grapefruit. Then in the finish the raspy wooden bitterness joins up with the grapefruit. That long bitterness pushes you to the next sip. Fun drink inasmuch as the character changes strikingly between nose and sip and swallow.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The Onion chimes in about cocktails: 

"Cocktail Menu Scanned For Drink With Fewest Unfamiliar Ingredients"

“Elderflower? That’s definitely out, and this one seems to be mostly whiskey, but God only knows what gomme syrup is supposed to be,” said Voss, visibly attempting to remain composed in front of his date as he paged through a leather-bound menu of inscrutable infusions, obscure tropical fruits, and entire phrases in French.

• Like 2

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, haresfur said:

A simple martini variation, but I'm quite happy with it (and I have dry vermouth on hand that should be used up)

Nightingale

martini with pimento dram
1 12 oz Gin, Tanqueray
12 oz Dry vermouth, Noilly Prat
2 bsp Allspice Dram

Thanks, tried this tonight and quite enjoyed it. A martini crossed with a pink gin. The dram (I used homemade, from the Serious Eats recipe) comes in on the finish, reminding me of winter holiday festivity. 

nightingale 1.png

Edited by Craig E
added pic (log)
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Couple of recent keepers, both nicely balanced:

Adelphi Cocktail

• 1 oz Rye
  • 1 oz Cognac
  • 1 oz Sweet vermouth
  • 1/4 oz Maraschino Liqueur
  • 3 ds Absinthe (I used a barspoon)
  • 2 ds Bitters, Angostura

Stir with ice, strain into a cocktail glass, and garnish with a lemon twist.

Inventor Frederic Yarm described this as a Saratoga with the "improved" treatment. Also brings to mind faves like the Sazerac and Red Hook. Some very verbose labels on these ingredients!

IMG_5030 1.jpg

Texting and Scones

• 1 oz Cynar
  • 1 oz Dry vermouth, Dolin
  • 1 oz Becherovka
  • 1 ds Bitters, Bittermens Xocolatl Mole
  • 1 bsp Jamaican rum, Smith & Cross

Stir/strain/rocks/lemon twist ( I used orange)

Unsure if I was supposed to float the rum--I stirred it in. This was a tasty autumnal drink. Flavors akin to boozier sippers but lighter octane. 

IMG_5034 1.jpg

Edited by Craig E
arranged photos (log)
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Finally got to a drink that's been on my to-do list for a long time: Stew Ellington's Adair Hook. 

Adair Hook

• 1 1/2 oz Gin (Beefeater)
  • 3/4 oz Sweet vermouth (Dolin)
  • 1/2 oz Cynar
  • 1/4 oz Maraschino Liqueur (Luxardo)
  • 1 ds Orange bitters (Regans')

This worked great. This is essentially a Martinez, enriched with the caramel and bitter notes of Cynar, a terrific deepener here. The dark sweetness of both liqueur and vermouth play well against the sharp piny-ness of gin. 

On a whim, made a second, subbing xocolatl mole bitters for the orange bitters. The chocolatey flavor pushed this still further into dessert town (it was already pretty sweet, but not objectionably so to my taste). So maybe a bit less subtle or balanced than the original, but awfully tasty. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The other day I was in a "let's just throw random things together and see if they work" mood, and mixed Scotch, madeira, apricot liqueur, and ginger syrup. It had some promise but needed some friction. The next night, tried the same with a few dashes of Regans'. Still good but not great. Then finally, I thought a richer way of adding bitterness would be to swap out the madeira for Punt e Mes. Thus was born the 

Stone of Destiny

• 2 oz Blended Scotch (Monkey Shoulder)
  • 3/4 oz Carpano Punt e Mes
  • 1/4 oz Apricot liqueur (Rothman and Winter)
  • 1/8 oz Ginger syrup (mine is both potent and sweet; increase as desired)

Shake; strain; up; garnish with an orange twist. 

This was dark and rich; I would think fans of the Boulevardier might be on board.

The Stone of Destiny (aka the Stone of Scone) is the ancient rock throne of the Scottish kings. I liked how the name connected to the Scotch, but also to stone fruit (the apricot, and the cherry/plum flavors in the vermouth). 

stoneofdestiny 1.png

• Like 4

Should read

Quarantinis anyone?

Edited by Anna N
Typo? Spelling? (log)
  • Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

28 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

I'm leaning more towards Quarantiki . :D

Looks as if I got the spelling all wrong. Oh well. The thought is there. And I do like your alternate suggestion.

Edited by Anna N
Typos (log)
  • Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

Looks as if I got the spelling all wrong. Oh well. The thought is there. And I do like your alternate suggestion.

I'm just gonna keep hoping the "quaran" part doesn't get here but it's always good to have a plan just in case so I took note of your link, spelling be damned. :D

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

If you twitter, you may want to check out David Wondrich's Low-Fi Lush hour.

Here's my version of his unnamed contribution of a couple of days ago

2 oz 101 rye (Wild Turkey)

1 barspoon lime juice

1/2 barspoon 2:1 simple syrup (agave syrup)

4 dashes Tabasco (Tapatio)

Shake & strain

Goes down far too easily. I'd better make another.

dAKmkfOdtFFtgjjd-z5vtrXNl-s_XgiHkrDUSG81_dIKq5-yqeMlAsDy0UDHG4F4vRV_dGhAEEjm9Tbt6wstWgl2KB1E2449wgMt4Qj2kTKM5o6EU3n-0GJj1S_plOHhlJ5hTrawnOhQFhln7pKxlmu3AxzQ00daeMR9C-PkXrwxcYbZ2_UETTln8FB63sE7nwDtZRShnFHVQHHw8HNVRwsBDFvGBRxqO9fli6IyW_hilHc6T-Ap921BULaTweCRaYmpLWcixSxCr9zmhUASQBsvV80VzhLJxlWHPsXS-meXxJGXS3kHHht8M2jcHAhjHaHQiC5VkjuVCAZicPwzWfB8UixiLl32YaPeq8JNKpfgCpwTRoTruCLNtRSl40_mx0pB4YKPi9bBJTdvT5iAfiOccLsp9IQEUE0MX4SVUdAGt3o0xJiWBb-EOFhfnD6xihQX3wrD1EWaHv476ASlpSjWHBAvXtByo1L3Im5H4hiKiz1xL_LdW6eCItDMUXjyxR50OEwm7WrFbHYKj2tk1rtMh5TzEVERxqRZ4X4l5j0-6krN2o9Yczz7axMhCB28d2u8AM2jLxYN925Dg6VEOjzP7xJr8xnK2_atLuwJLw9nuxq1QTsv9mUcKc0ZQuXM1ZT-P9WnDsMQ-XrYGgT2NEIJMYnhC_bzOFOh1X1oJlAWQn56NRPA6Y-OT73Hcw=w450-h799-no

• Like 1

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

9 hours ago, scamhi said:

I made sidecars to celebrate a friends birthday virtually last night.

used 2:1:1 Cognac, Cointreau, Meyer Lemon. very well balanced

IMG_7749.JPG

IMG_5226.JPG

So you stole my strainer! I've been looking all over for it! 😊

• Haha 3

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

David Lebovitz started his IGTV "Apéro Hour" after his book tour for Drinking French was cancelled and it's rapidly become the highlight of my day.  Too bad it's at 9 AM my time as things just go downhill once it's over until it's finally a reasonable hour to make and enjoy the cocktail of the day 🙄

Today's guest was Alexandre Gabriel, founder of Pierre Ferrand, Citadelle & Plantation, who prepared a Daiquiri with Plantation Stiggins Fancy Pineapple Rum. 

18BAACE4-31C7-4010-8AF7-6E906DBE1DA5_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.80e7ca2f0d6753a0c9446bdad76d4d59.jpeg

Limes from my tree

Also from the book, I've recently enjoyed the Yellow Cocktail, which is indeed very yellow:

IMG_2237.thumb.jpeg.bc702aedcadb7a989b651777b2540897.jpeg

A Brooklyn:

IMG_2196.thumb.jpeg.a905e062c71c176901ddc5b81c8e8294.jpeg

And more than one Rosemary Gimlets:

IMG_2218.thumb.jpeg.6cf3de9e64750b1c6ea7f77cd8123ffb.jpeg

• Like 6