• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Drinks! 2018

Smokeydoke

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A recent experiment that wasn't horrible.

1.5 oz Sotol

.5 Mezcal

.75 amontillado

.5 Giffard banana

.25 Bigallet

Dash mole bitters

Stir, strain, coupe. I like this one. Could maybe use a small pinch of a fruity, moderately hot ground chili pepper on top?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Whisk(e)y Sour - Over crushed ice:

My co-workers brought me back 2 bottles of Luxardo cherries from the UK so I thought I should put em to work. Lately I've been enjoying an improvised whiskey sour. I've been making them once I put the kids to bed - so I don't wanna use ice in a shaker...instead I make everything in a shaker and pour over crushed ice (no noise...kids don't wake up...can enjoy in peace).

3 oz buffalo trace
1 oz simple syrup
Juice of 1 full lemon
1 oz egg white
4 dashes angostura bitters
3 luxardo cherries for garnish (and a tasty treat)

image.png.6a3609e2cf0ff8ba0e6c04e9edeaf60e.png

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I've been playing around with Maggie Hoffman's Batch Cocktails: Make Ahead Pitcher Drinks for Every Occasion.  One of my favorites so far is Bound by Venus from bartender Jesse Cyr.  

Maybe like a rosemary forward Puritan cocktail with fino sherry subbing in for the vermouth? 

IMG_1076.thumb.jpg.004072920629b9647be76b58b9710829.jpg

Bound by Venus from Jesse Cyr  (8 servings)

2 cups gin infused for 2.5 hrs with 4 sprigs of rosemary w/occasional shaking, then strained

3/4 cup fino sherry

1/2 cup yellow Chartreuse

3/4 cup plus 1T water

Mix, chill in the freezer and serve in chilled coupes. 

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 4
  • Delicious 2

Ruirita
by Michael Dietsch

• 2 oz Blanco tequila
  • 1/2 oz Cynar
  • 1/2 oz Lime juice
  • 1/4 oz Simple syrup
  • 3 ds Rhubarb bitters
  • 2 dr Orange flower water (to rinse glass)

Rinse chilled glass with orange flower water, pour out excess. Shake, strain, up.

Made this with some homemade rhubarb bitters (a riff on this recipe) that I imagine might be more complex and more bitter than the Fee's called for in the spec (though I've never tried Fee's). Every sip of this was a really interesting pan down from bright, floral, tropical-fruity at the outset to rich, bitter, chocolatey on the finish, from the Cynar and bitters. I really get a kick out of drinks like this that have a definite transformation on the palate. 

ruirita 1.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Another one from Maggie Hoffman's Batch Cocktails: Make Ahead Pitcher Drinks for Every Occasion though I did not make a batch this time.  

IMG_1123.thumb.jpg.3ed6a023b4646b65646b0774f61336d7.jpg

Greyscale by Anna Moss of La Moule in Portland. 

I went ahead and made the Earl Grey/honey syrup as the book directs but there's really no need to do that as I learned when searching for the recipe online: here's a single-serving version that wisely uses the Earl Grey tea and honey as separate ingredients.  

Edited by blue_dolphin
to un-correct an auto-correct (log)
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

I was reading the drinks section in David Tanis’ One Good Dish.  Watered down wine...equal parts cold water or soda and decent red wine served over ice.  Sounds refreshing for hot day.

Anyone tried this?

23 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

Anyone tried this?

I haven't tried it but I'm willing to. Most of the wines I like are at the less serious end of the scale so I wouldn't feel bad at all splitting it with some water or soda over ice.

• Thanks 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

7 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

I was reading the drinks section in David Tanis’ One Good Dish.  Watered down wine...equal parts cold water or soda and decent red wine served over ice.  Sounds refreshing for hot day.

Anyone tried this?

No, but try MR.  Omitting the unnecessary oxidane.

• Confused 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

6 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

No, but try MR.  Omitting the unnecessary oxidane.

This was posted so casually that I feel like I'm supposed to know what it means. But I don't. So I'm suspecting I missed something somewhere along the way... which is unfortunately not all that unusual for me. :D

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

20 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

Anyone tried this?

I have, except for the ice.  On a hot day, I'll often add some sparkling water to a glass of rosé.  If it's really hot, that might be adding some rosé to a glass of sparkling water.   I've done the same with a light red and found it rather nice.  I confessed that sin to a friend who's from a large Italian-American family.  She said that was nothing.  Her family only drink red wines but in the summer, they dilute it with ....Fresca!  The Fresca business doesn't appeal to me but I haven't tried it so I shouldn't knock it 🙃

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Another one from Batch Cocktails, All She Wrote by Jeremy Simpson when he was at Bestia in Los Angeles.  The batch recipe from the book is available online here and is one of the "Drinks that Keep" and are recommended for aging. 

I made a batch of these for a gathering back in June and have been enjoying the leftovers since then.  In honor of the last glass, I assembled the ingredients for this group photo.

fullsizeoutput_3c26.thumb.jpeg.7478884e89938c13a7fa5a7b81ed50aa.jpeg

This is strongly flavored enough to sip slowly but relatively low in alcohol.  The suggested garnish is a pinch of salt and I found it to pull the flavors together nicely.

• Like 4

23 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Another one from Batch Cocktails, All She Wrote by Jeremy Simpson when he was at Bestia in Los Angeles.  The batch recipe from the book is available online here and is one of the "Drinks that Keep" and are recommended for aging. 

I made a batch of these for a gathering back in June and have been enjoying the leftovers since then.  In honor of the last glass, I assembled the ingredients for this group photo.

fullsizeoutput_3c26.thumb.jpeg.7478884e89938c13a7fa5a7b81ed50aa.jpeg

This is strongly flavored enough to sip slowly but relatively low in alcohol.  The suggested garnish is a pinch of salt and I found it to pull the flavors together nicely.

That sounds like something @Anna N and @Kerry Beal should consider sealing away at the end of their next Manitoulin trip, if it's specifically supposed to age well!

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

44 minutes ago, MelissaH said:

That sounds like something @Anna N and @Kerry Beal should consider sealing away at the end of their next Manitoulin trip, if it's specifically supposed to age well!

I'm still wondering where they hid their bottles.

• Haha 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

A new original:

• 2 oz Cappelletti aperitivo
  • 1 oz Tattersall aquavit
  • 2 dashes Regans' orange bitters

Served on the rocks with an orange twist. Sweet and refreshing but also interesting. Next night I tried the same but topped with an ounce or so of soda, which brought it into the territory of an Aperol Spritz. 

I'm calling it Cap & Snaps

capandsnaps 1.png

• Like 3