• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Drinks! 2018

Smokeydoke

• 2 weeks later...

@Rafa's Bourbon Decay (Bourbon, Campari, lemon, cassis).

No real surprises here but a likable drink. I often find cassis to be a pushy ingredient, at least the bottle I have, so here I think the Campari is well placed--its bitterness, arriving a split second later, is a welcome counterpoint to the tart sip. 

bourbondecay 1.png

Edited by Craig E
reconsidered wording (log)
  • Like 3

So far today's pours have been Wild Turkey Decades, Old Fitz 1920 and Monkey Shoulders, in that order while preparing the Father's Day meal and dips in the pool to cool off.  The Monkey Shoulders is a fine inexpensive blended scotch.  The Decades and 1920, exceptional pours.  I have an open bottle  of a single cask 15 yr old Inchmurrin Scotch which is calling me for a late after dinner pour.  A really nice pour that deserves some attention 

I'll have to wait for the morning to get some orange blossom water from the grocery store to finish my batch of orgeat, but in the meantime I'm enjoying the almond pralines I made with the leftovers!

• Like 1

Hotter than the depths of hell here, so last night it was two Daiquirí No. 4s, (turns out in a Blendtec, 12 oz of crushed ice rather than 16 is the way to go), and then a Crafty and Elusive Elk once I was properly cooled off

Edited by Hassouni (log)
  • Like 2

Midnight Prayer
by Brian MacGregor, Jardinière, San Francisco, CA.

• 1 1/2 oz Gin, G'Vine Floraison (Plymouth Navy Strength)
  • 3/4 oz St. Germain
  • 1 t Crème de Violette
  • dash Regans' orange bitters

Stir, strain, up, lemon twist.

For those in the "St. Germain makes everything better" camp, this drink will confirm your bias. Its sweet lychee flavor added instant appeal to this sourless Aviation. I've never had the G'Vine gin, but figured the navy strength Plymouth would be closer to the original intentions than the London dry gins I have on hand. I was amazed that high octane of the base spirit (57 ABV) was wholly masked by the mix. 

midnightprayer 1.png

Edited by Craig E
corrected proof/abv misstatement (log)
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

A friend was telling me yesterday about a cocktail she had while visiting in Leavenworth WA.

It was a Spicy Watermelon Martini.  It sounds like something I'd really enjoy but I've no idea how to make one.

Any ideas?

1 hour ago, lindag said:

A friend was telling me yesterday about a cocktail she had while visiting in Leavenworth WA.

It was a Spicy Watermelon Martini.  It sounds like something I'd really enjoy but I've no idea how to make one.

Any ideas?

I’d try 2 oz gin (or vodka, if you must), 1 oz lemon or lime juice, 3/4 oz simple syrup, 2 oz watermelon juice (from blending a watermelon;  I would start with 2 oz and add more based on taste but you don’t want to dilute your drink too much). Not sure what the spice was but you can experiment with a pinch of cayenne or espelette (like in a Holland Razo Blade). This would be nice with mint too.

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)
  • Like 1

On 7/5/2018 at 12:21 AM, lindag said:

Any ideas?

Not sure if it is what you are after but Libation Legacy recently posted Curley's Favorite to twitter:

DhDBeCyXkAYzNoh.jpg

DhDBeSHXkAAlTiY.jpg

• Like 3

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

Science waits for NoOne.

certainly not Godot !

over here :

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/153603-what-did-you-buy-at-the-liquor-store-today-2016/?page=14

I got the fix in's for a Negroni

the LunchLadies Song finally had be succumb

there is a Negroni  ' Petit ' :

750556108_NTest.thumb.jpg.7ab853a089a78dd3025ec1bd92c81561.jpg

that's my smallest Baccarat Rotary , no longer made 

there are two Rotary bar glasses larger than the ones you see here 

sorry  I did not include a me sure.

with  1 T  each component , from the frig and freezer.

Im not a mixed drink person , for no particular reason.

I did study the Daiquiri , dark rum on the sour side for a year or so 

back when Barbancourt Five Star was probably less then $  4 a bottle

https://www.totalwine.com/spirits/rum/aged-rum/barbancourt-5-star-8-yr-old/p/13259750

Times Change.

this is not a bad drink , as I like Gin and I like Campari.

its a bit too sweet for me , 

and I am lucky as the Red Vermouth was the cheapest of the three

if there were a dry red vermouth I might like it a lot more.

studies will continue.

Im a Wine-O  , ie MR

this does pack a Punch even @  3 T total 

I can for sure ' hold my M.R. '

but perhaps not so much with High-Test

I glad Im trying this.

it does seem to fluoresce a bit  ....

P.S.:  the small Rotary holds 124 cc , the next up : 170 cc , then 220 cc for the largest in the

pic.   I did not test the two largest.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 5

On 7/10/2018 at 2:53 PM, rotuts said:

there is a Negroni  ' Petit ' :

its a bit too sweet for me , 

and I am lucky as the Red Vermouth was the cheapest of the three

Try a perfect Negroni, splitting the vermouth half sweet and half dry. And/or try using Punt e Mes for the sweet vermouth. It is midway between vermouth and amaro, and the extra bitterness tempers the sugar a bit. Or try something vermouth-like but less sweet, like a Chinato or Byrrh. Or fiddle with ratios, such as 2 gin : 1 Campari : 1 sweet vermouth.

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

On 1/6/2018 at 6:54 PM, Smokeydoke said:

I've never had Applejack but the recipe I posted above used applejack (I used apple brandy). I wasn't crazy about it, I think Sidecars work better with regular (cheap) brandy. The combination of orange liquer and apple brandy is weird to me.

How about a simple Old Fashioned with Applejack instead of bourbon?

APPLEJACK OLD FASHIONED
Stir 1/2 tsp. sugar, 2 dashes of bitters and a splash of club soda in an old fashion glass until the sugar is dissolved. Add ice cubes and 1 1/2 oz. Laird's AppleJack. Stir and garnish with an orange slice and a cherry.

A good apple brandy can be a joy to sip.  Emphasis on good

well , one thing is For Sure :

lots of knowledgeable  people on eG

even on the Drinks ! thread.

here is Negroni-ish Deux :

1690852091_Negroni2.thumb.jpg.57df24c0042da43d4b408e4b9986592f.jpg

that's about a 100 cc drink   ( mores bout this later ) + and ice cube

taking @Quadriga  advice on the " what did you buy ..... " thread 

this #2 is 1:1:1:1

the last 1 is one part cold refrigerator water  

" for the melt "

this is a better drink , 

its still no yet fort me

as noted above ;   2,200   cc to go !

and it still glows.

noted other's advise 

so thanks

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

Recently discovered a huge grapevine growing on a chainlink fence in our backyard. The little wild grapes are tart and intensely red inside, so I thought they'd be good cocktail fodder.

I remembered a clever drink from @bostonapothecary I found on Kindred Cocktails: Me and My Grandfather (so called because it paired unaged and aged grape-based spirits--pisco and cognac respectively). 

I muddled a handful of wild grapes and added equal parts lemon juice, mosto verde pisco, VSOP cognac, and the spruce syrup I'd made. (That last continues the foraging-in-the-yard theme, but mostly I used it because I couldn't be bothered to whip up the spec'ed regular simple syrup.)

This turned out pretty grapey (surprise surprise) in an appealing way. These little unexpected grapes have lots of possibilities. I think mother nature is encouraging my cocktail hobby. 

meandmygrandfathergrape 1.png

• Like 5