• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Smokeydoke

Smokeydoke

sober grammar is better

Well, not 2017 anymore, time to make a new thread?

Tonight I tried Marcus Samuelsson's Big Apple Sidecar but subbed the Applejack with Osocalis (which I got on sale) and Morey Orange Liquer (recommended by staff) instead of Cointreau.

Original recipe is as follows:

• 2 ounces applejack brandy
  • 1/2 ounce fresh lemon juice
  • 1/4 ounce Cointreau, or Grand Marnier
  • 1/4 ounce agave nectar, maple syrup or honey.

I've never had Applejack, I've only had Calvados, and the Osocalis is much like Calvados. It has an overwhelming apple scent, not a bad thing. When mixed with the Morey, which is not as sweet as Triple Sec, it created a very complex flavor, not entirely pleasant. I'm a simple girl, I like simple flavors. But dang, did it go down smooth. :-)

I'm new to cocktails (new to making, I've sure drank enough) and I'm still learning. I won't repeat this, it seems a waste of Osocalis. And I know DeKruper is looked down upon here, but I've used DeKruper Triple Sec for years, and its simple, sweet taste would be more in line with apple brandy, just my opinion, I know that's a jailable offense in some places. And no, I did NOT mix my Osocalis with Triple Sec, but honestly, it may have tasted better. Next time (if there is a next time), I'll leave the Morey out completely and double the agave nectar. That way the different liquors won't have to compete with each other. 

IMG_2561.JPG

Smokeydoke

Smokeydoke

sober grammar is better

Tonight I tried Marcus Samuelsson's Big Apple Sidecar but subbed the Applejack with Osocalis (which I got on sale) and Morey Orange Liquer (recommended by staff) instead of Cointreau.

I've never had Applejack, I've only had Calvados, and the Osocalis is much like Calvados with an overwhelming apple scent, not a bad thing. When mixed with the Morey, which is not as sweet as Triple Sec, it created a very complex flavor, not entirely pleasant. I'm a simple girl, I like simple flavors. But dang, did it go down smooth. :-)

I'm new to cocktails (new to making, I've sure drank enough) and I'm still learning. I won't repeat this, it seems a waste of Osocalis. And I know DeKruper is looked down upon here, but I've used DeKruper Triple Sec for years, and its simple, sweet taste would be more in line with apple brandy, just my opinion, I know that's a jailable offense in some places. And no, I did NOT mix my Osocalis with Triple Sec, but honestly, it may have tasted better. Next time (if there is a next time), I'll leave the Morey out completely and double the agave nectar. That way the different liquors won't have to compete with each other. 

IMG_2561.JPG

Smokeydoke

Smokeydoke

Tonight I tried Marcus Samuelsson's Big Apple Sidecar but subbed the Applejack with Osocalis (which I got on sale) and Morey Orange Liquer (recommended by staff) instead of Cointreau

I've never had Applejack, I've only had Calvados, and the Osocalis is much like Calvados with an overwhelming apple scent, not a bad thing. When mixed with the Morey, which is not as sweet as Triple Sec, it created a very complex flavor, not entirely pleasant, but I'm a simple girl, I like simple flavors. But dang, does it go down smooth. :-)

I'm new to cocktails (new to making, I've sure drank enough) and I'm still learning. I won't repeat this, it seems a waste of Osocalis. And I know DeKruper is looked down upon here, but I've used DeKruper Triple Sec for years, and its simple, sweet taste would be more in line with applejack brandy, just my opinion.

IMG_2561.JPG