• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

blue_dolphin

Cooking with Six Seasons by Joshua McFadden

3 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Thanks for sharing your experience with this. I still think I might give it a go since our tastes are not necessarily identical. xD I am especially enamoured of James Beard’s iconic onion sandwich and one of the options for using this mayo is with spring onions to make the sandwich. 

I'll look forward to hearing your thoughts if you try it.  It wasn't bad at all.   I'm certainly not binning it and I expect it may improve on sitting a bit longer.   Just didn't quite knock my socks off today.

21 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I'll look forward to hearing your thoughts if you try it.  It wasn't bad at all.   I'm certainly not binning it and I expect it may improve on sitting a bit longer.   Just didn't quite knock my socks off today.

Will have to wait until I can get some basil and mint but they are on my shopping list as of now. If I can just remember why they are on my shopping list we will be good to go. 

Corn, tomatoes, and clams on grilled bread, fork and knife style, p. 230

The corn was from my freezer, but still sweet. I added lots of chili flakes (he says to taste), and put the bread on the side rather than under the clams and broth, because I like some crispiness.  Everyone loved this fast and easy dinner.

clams.thumb.jpg.50e8b417daeb1f0754a44f80233c5906.jpg

• Like 8

That looks amazing, @liamsaunt!  

I picked up some nice beets with fresh greens at the local farmers market:

5a5cbd9413724_IMG_6700(1).thumb.jpg.98790be83ebbb8b96c2ed097b698f0ad.jpg

So today, I made the Roasted Beets, Avocado & Sunflower Seeds,  p 134.  I subbed toasted slivered almonds for the sunflower seeds.  Had a mix of red, gold and candy beets but the red ones turned the others pink on the outside.

IMG_6851.thumb.jpg.7cc9de4dc639e1ac173f4d1674c5269c.jpg

This is an interesting cross between a warm side dish and a salad.  The beet greens get sautéed in olive oil, then marinated with vinegar along with the warm beets.  I added a sprinkle of feta because I thought it needed a little something and didn't want to turn the avocado to mush by mixing too much more.

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, liamsaunt said:

Corn, tomatoes, and clams on grilled bread, fork and knife style, p. 230

The corn was from my freezer, but still sweet. I added lots of chili flakes (he says to taste), and put the bread on the side rather than under the clams and broth, because I like some crispiness.  Everyone loved this fast and easy dinner.

clams.thumb.jpg.50e8b417daeb1f0754a44f80233c5906.jpg

Now THAT is an inviting dish.  The broth looks to be the perfect consistency.

• Like 1

I needed a cabbage to make slaw for a fish sandwich the other night, and the only cabbage in the grocery was a monster, weighing in at 7.5 lbs.  I might end up making all of the cabbage recipes in the book to use it up!  I started  by making a pot of comforting cabbage, onion, and farro soup (page 337).  That took care of one pound of the cabbage anyway.  It does not look like much but the flavor is very appealing--sweet cabbage, nutty farro, and robust chicken stock.  Should make for a couple of tasty desk lunches this week.

5a5ce685757fe_cabbageandfarrosoup.thumb.jpg.fdc33b7ae2b886bd0620bac526024be5.jpg

• Like 7

Looks like the dish in the photo is broccolini or rabe, but the recipe calls for broccoli.

I broiled up some broccoli florets...not great not terrible. I'll skip this dish until I get some rabe.

021.thumb.jpg.0b6ed103d220d3e8d1f43853a3408579.jpg