• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

First you pickle all the vegetables (see a few just upthread here) and chop them up into little bits:

IMG_8296.thumb.jpg.69169c2f0cb95c93dcccefacb024922f.jpg

From left:  purchased pickled red peppers and zucchini, spring onions, green string beans, radishes, carrots, manzano chiles, yellow wax beans, all from Six Seasons p 58 & 59. 

Then you make the Pickled Vegetable Butter p 35:

IMG_8300.thumb.jpg.a7331e483b60d99b14543caa0437081a.jpg

I'm not the biggest fan of compound butters but I though this one looked very pretty so I made a half-recipe. It calls for unsalted butter and does not add any but since the brine in the book is fairly light, I think it could use a bit.  I'm going to soften it up again and add a little. With the colorful confetti of vegetables, it's certainly a pretty way to serve butter at a party or buffet table.

Next up is the Farro with Tomatoes, Raw Corn, Mint, Basil and Scallions p 263 - summer in a bowl!

IMG_8301.thumb.jpg.d67d2462714c7211a51392c6d58b228e.jpg

Nice seasonal salad.  I lightened up on both the olive oil and salt to suit my taste.

As written, the serving size is ample enough to be a main course. That's about 1/2 a serving on my plate above.  If serving as a main, some cheese (grilled halloumi?) or grilled chicken or seafood would be good additions to provide some protein.  The farro benefits from a bit of time to absorb the flavors but that time is not kind to the croutons so I'd hold them out until ready to eat, especially if you foresee leftovers. 

Alongside is a slice of toasted bread buttered with the Pickled Vegetable Butter that wasn't really needed here as the salad also contains the Torn Croutons p 29 but I wanted to try it anyway. 

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

First you pickle all the vegetables (see a few just upthread here) and chop them up into little bits:

IMG_8296.thumb.jpg.69169c2f0cb95c93dcccefacb024922f.jpg

From left:  purchased pickled red peppers and zucchini, spring onions, green string beans, radishes, carrots, manzano chiles, yellow wax beans, all from Six Seasons p 58 & 59. 

Then you make the Pickled Vegetable Butter p 35:

IMG_8300.thumb.jpg.a7331e483b60d99b14543caa0437081a.jpg

I'm not the biggest fan of compound butters but I though this one looked very pretty so I made a half-recipe. It calls for unsalted butter and does not add any but since the brine in the book is fairly light, I think it could use a bit.  I'm going to soften it up again and add a little. With the pretty confetti of vegetable colors, it's certainly a pretty way to serve butter at a party or buffet table.

Next up is the Farro with Tomatoes, Raw Corn, Mint, Basil and Scallions p 263 - summer in a bowl!

IMG_8301.thumb.jpg.d67d2462714c7211a51392c6d58b228e.jpg

Nice seasonal salad.  I lightened up on both the olive oil and salt to suit my taste.

As written, the serving size is ample enough to be a main course. That's about 1/2 a serving on my plate above.  If serving as a main, some cheese (grilled halloumi?) or grilled chicken or seafood would be good additions to provide some protein.  The farro benefits from a bit of time to absorb the flavors but that time is not kind to the croutons so I'd hold them out until ready to eat, especially if you foresee leftovers. 

Alongside is a slice of toasted bread buttered with the Pickled Vegetable Butter that wasn't really needed here as the salad also contains the Torn Croutons p 29 but I wanted to try it anyway.