• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Can I use a charcoal chimney to light a tandoor?

gorkreg

As a tandoor is not a regular BBQ but an oven which walls need to be hot in order to cook I was wondering if I could use a charcoal chimney to light it. Firstly, I don't know how long it would take for the walls to heat up (I guess quite quick) but secondly (and most important) will the walls crack because of the sudden change in temperature? Any experiences here?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, gorkreg said:

Thanks @Duvel. Yes, I can use a charcoal chimney or yes, the walls will crack? I guess the first but want t be sure just in case ;-)

Yes, you can introduce heated coals into the tandoor, provided that the amount compared to the total volume is reasonable. It will not bring the entire tandoor to working temperature immediately, but will heat gradually via convection and radiation.

if you are in the UK

why not ask them ?

they must have a recommended way to get the tandoor

fired up ?

the only issue I can see if the heat from the charcoal chimney gets too hot

so the gizmo itself does not have enough time to expand as it heats up

if the Chimney fits in the bottom

and you start everything cold

Im guessing you will be fine

do you have the Gizmo or are you thinking about it firwst

call them 

ask them

h0owever

for such erudition and fine advice

you will bee required to Post your work w the tandoor !

suprise.gif.4c82a9dacdc8d91a9ddca342f2a340d0.gif

The tandoori on the website look pretty large. I have a Weber chimney and would struggle to imagine that the amount of heated coal from the chimney starter would be able to impact a heat shock to that size of tandoor. I would also be surprised if it is sufficient to prime the tandoor for cooking ...

@Duvel It is the medium size (you can put inside 8 skewers) but it probably looks bigger in the photograph. In the manual they recommend using 1.5-2 kg so I think that the Weber chimney will be sufficient.

@rotuts, I don't have the charcoal chimney yet (that is why I was wondering if I could use it before I bought it). They do have instructions and a video on how to fire it up (and I have done it with mixed results ;-) but I love how easy it could be to do it using the chimney. I am not in the UK but I can send them an email with the question (never thought of that :-P)