• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Smart Speakers in the Kitchen

blue_dolphin

On 2/21/2018 at 6:37 PM, Anna N said:

Me too. 

Yeah, me too!

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

8 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

With regard to Alexa setting a timer:  is there any way to control how long she makes the timer completion sound (without having to ask her explicitly to stop)?

No, not that I've found.

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

2 hours ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

No, not that I've found.

I'd call amazon and ask, but so far I've not spoken with a tech support person who has ever seen an Echo -- or so it would appear.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

At least all the tech support scripts are on their computers now, so we no longer have to listen to the discouraging sound of them frantically flipping binder pages. It always irritates me to *have* to have two low-level staffers walk me through all the troubleshooting steps I'd already done before kicking me upstairs to a third-level tech who actually knows stuff. It still makes me fume, but the lack of binder-flipping is progress of a sort. 

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

• 2 weeks later...
  • Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

• 1 year later...

This morning, as I baked a few batches of cookies and did laundry, I asked Alexa to set multiple timers for me and appreciated her alarms informing me that the washer or dryer were done or that cookie sheets needed to be rotated.  

Then, when boiling water for my coffee,  the tea kettle started whistling.  I automatically turned my head and called out, "Alexa, stop!"  Sheesh!  

• Haha 6

On 6/22/2019 at 4:47 PM, blue_dolphin said:

This morning, as I baked a few batches of cookies and did laundry, I asked Alexa to set multiple timers for me and appreciated her alarms informing me that the washer or dryer were done or that cookie sheets needed to be rotated.  

Then, when boiling water for my coffee,  the tea kettle started whistling.  I automatically turned my head and called out, "Alexa, stop!"  Sheesh!  

Then there is putting two fingers on a book and spreading them - expecting the text to get bigger!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

Then there is putting two fingers on a book and spreading them - expecting the text to get bigger!

I do this frequently and get quite annoyed that I am not able to look up a word.

• Haha 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

On 6/22/2019 at 1:47 PM, blue_dolphin said:

I automatically turned my head and called out, "Alexa, stop!"  Sheesh!  

I have Alexa, Echo, and Siri in the vicinity.  When one of them does something I need to turn off, I frequently find myself yelling "SiriEchoAlexa stop!"   Just like parents with multiple kids and combining all the names when yelling at them, hoping to get the right one eventually.

• Haha 6

17 hours ago, lemniscate said:

I have Alexa, Echo, and Siri in the vicinity.  When one of them does something I need to turn off, I frequently find myself yelling "SiriEchoAlexa stop!"   Just like parents with multiple kids and combining all the names when yelling at them, hoping to get the right one eventually.

My ex-wife, well into adulthood, was miffed that the dog's name often came out before hers in similar circumstances (despite her being the eldest child).

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• 3 weeks later...

Offered without commentary...(except to note that there have been similar stories about the other main vendors as well)

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2019/07/google-defends-listening-to-ok-google-queries-after-voice-recordings-leak/

31 minutes ago, chromedome said:

Offered without commentary...(except to note that there have been similar stories about the other main vendors as well)

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2019/07/google-defends-listening-to-ok-google-queries-after-voice-recordings-leak/

Whole new meaning to "kitchen talk".

On a more positive note, at least in the UK -- should you cut yourself Alexa will dispense authoritative NHS medical advice.  (But in the US she will reorder frozen peas.)

2 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

On a more positive note, at least in the UK -- should you cut yourself Alexa will dispense authoritative NHS medical advice.

"Save the liver"?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BeeZee said:

Julia Child via Dan Ackroyd:D

I enjoyed that immensely!  I hadn't gotten the reference.  Julia could just have asked Alexa.

• 2 weeks later...

Further to my previous, similar post about Google (and driving home the point that this is inherent, not vendor-specific):

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019/07/siri-records-fights-doctors-appointments-and-sex-and-contractors-hear-it/

Not to be cliche-ish, but with advantages often come disadvantages.

In order to be more proficient and helpful, devices need more information which we give them by using them.

Personally I use Alexa and have found setting timers etc very useful, in order for the device to serve me better it needs to know me better.

p

• Like 1

• 1 year later...