• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Martin Fisher

Martin Fisher

Ohhhhhhhh.....I received several 'smart' Christmas gifts. :D

An Eufy Genie, which is an Alexa device similar to an Echo Dot.

As with the Dot, the speaker sucks but the sound isn't bad when it's connected to decent PC speakers.

I also received a Google Home, Google Home Mini, Chromecast HDMI (for the TV) and two Chromecast Audios—which connect to speakers.

The Google Home, Mini and the two Chromecast Audios are connected, via wi-fi, to form an audio group.

In other words, they play in sync—when specifically commanded.

The Google Home's and the Mini's speakers aren't great, but the Chromecast Audios sound good when connected to good speakers.

The Google Home is beside my computer in the living room.

The Mini is in the Kitchen, as is a Chromecast Audio.

The other Chromecast Audio is in the 'man cave,' as is the Eufy Genie.

They're useful in many, MANY ways.

In terms of food related stuff, as mentioned above, they're great for easily setting timers—even multiple timers (and reminders.)

"A Google Home feature you will find most helpful in the kitchen is the timer function. To set a timer, just say, "OK (or Hey), Google, set a timer for five minutes." Check on the status of a timer with, "OK (or Hey), Google, how much time is left on my timer?" To cancel, pause or resume a timer, just tell the Google Home.

You can also be a little more specific by giving a timer a name, such as, "OK (or Hey), Google, set a 20 minute time for pizza." Then you can check on that specific timer by saying, "OK (or Hey), Google, how much time is left on my pizza?"

Unfortunately, at the moment, timers only work on the one device that they are set on. Hopefully that'll change in the future.

They're great for conversions: "Hey, Google! How many grams are there in 17 ounces?"

Nutrition information: "Hey, Google! "How many grams of carbohydrate in 150 grams of broccoli?"

Various other cooking and food related questions.

I can cast relevant podcasts and such to the audio group—from my Android phone or from Chrome browser.

I can cast relevant video to the Chromecast HDMI—connected to the TV.

I have a recipe PC (and tablet) in the kitchen so I have no need to use Google Home or Alexa for recipes.

They're fun and useful devices. :)

Can you tell that I'm an extremist? :D

Martin Fisher

Martin Fisher

As with the Dot, the speaker sucks but the sound isn't bad when it's connected to decent PC speakers.

I also received a Google Home, Google Home Mini, Chromecast HDMI (for the TV) and two Chromecast Audios—which connect to speakers.

The Google Home, Mini and the two Chromecast Audios are connected, via wi-fi, to form an audio group.

The Google Home's and the Mini's speakers aren't great, but the Chromecast Audios sound good when connected to good speakers.

In terms of food related stuff, as mentioned above, they're great for easily setting timers—even multiple timers (and reminders.)

"A Google Home feature you will find most helpful in the kitchen is the timer function. To set a timer, just say, "OK (or Hey), Google, set a timer for five minutes." Check on the status of a timer with, "OK (or Hey), Google, how much time is left on my timer?" To cancel, pause or resume a timer, just tell the Google Home.

You can also be a little more specific by giving a timer a name, such as, "OK (or Hey), Google, set a 20 minute time for pizza." Then you can check on that specific timer by saying, "OK (or Hey), Google, how much time is left on my pizza?"

Unfortunately, at the moment, timers only work on the one device that they are set on. Hopefully that'll change in the future.

They're great for conversions: "Hey, Google! How many grams are there in 17 ounces?"

Nutrition information: "Hey, Google! "How many grams of carbohydrate in 150 grams of broccoli?"

I can cast relevant podcasts and such to the audio group—from my Android phone.

I have a recipe PC (and tablet) in the kitchen so I have no need to use Google Home or Alexa for recipes.

Martin Fisher

Martin Fisher

You can also be a little more specific by giving a timer a name, such as, "OK, Google, set a 20 minute time for pizza." Then you can check on that specific timer by saying, "OK, Google, how much time is left on my pizza?"

I can cast relevant podcasts and such to the audio group—from my Android phone.