• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Question concerning brioche tarts -

J.Green

Just recently have been infatuated with brioche tarts - (ones shaped like bialy)

Is it better, in your opinion, to use toppings - jams/custards (placed on the center) - before or after baking?

Thank you!

I would place the "topping" on the raw dough, then bake. I have never tried to make brioche tarts as you describe so really cannot give a definite answer. However, I would presume it was done in a similar way to a Danish. Maybe @jmacnaughtan would have an answer for you.

Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

Some time ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.

On 04/01/2018 at 9:51 AM, JohnT said:

I would place the "topping" on the raw dough, then bake. I have never tried to make brioche tarts as you describe so really cannot give a definite answer. However, I would presume it was done in a similar way to a Danish. Maybe @jmacnaughtan would have an answer for you.

I'd tend to agree with @JohnT - you'd normally want something to proof the brioche around.  Do you have a picture or recipe of the kind of tart you want to make?

It might depend on the topping though - some require very little cooking, so it might be better to put them on after, maybe after removing some of the brioche.

• 1 year later...

Had to look up a picture of bialy first.

You want a tart with brioche base, ok.

A French woman from Normandy showed me this when I was working in Fl many yrs ago.

If you want individuals just use a brioche mold.

I made a video using a 9 inch tart mold, whateva.