• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Feedback on new 'low entry barrier' bread kit

trfl

@blue_dolphin 

Thank you for taking time to share your experience with LoafNest. We are happy to learn that it worked for you 'as advertized!'.

Indeed you can try recipes with more gluten development. If you prefer to do a second raise, it may be worthwhile to get a oblong benneton of around 25cm x 15 cm (10 inch x 6 inch) inner dimension. That would work very well with LoafNest.

The price is indeed higher than Kickstarter now thanks to LoafNest being a real product now and to other costs of sales. As a very small company (essentially one-person), we are also yet to achieve economies of scale. But, we are getting there slowly, thanks to word of mouth from supporters like yourself. But if anyone is reading this, just PM us and let us see if we can give you a discount or give insider info about upcoming promotions. 😉

@AlaMoi Indeed, as mentioned by @Duvel, @JoNorvelleWalker clay has overall lower heat capacity. This is mainly due to high density of cast iron compared to clay (which incidentally also makes cast iron heavier for same size). The other disadvantage with clay is that it is a worse conductor than cast iron. So, cast iron is also faster to release stored heat into the dough because it can transport heat (relatievly) faster within itself. So, all things being equal, we expect cast iron would give better result than clay baker. LoafNest's other advantages are the non-stick liner with makes it extremely easy to handle the dough/loaf and allows for a no-shaping method.

• Like 1

An enthusiastic food lover and product developer. Early in 2018, we ran a successful Kickstarter campaign for a bread making product LoafNest now avaiable on Amazon .  I am on eGullet to spar on ideas for making cooking and baking easier and more robust through well designed high quality products.

all sounds good. 

I'm so glad I did not know that because I've been doing breads in clay for decades and it seems to work for me.

when the pot is preheated, I take off the top and plop in the dough.  seems easy enough....

when it's baked and cooled ten minutes I simple turn it upside down and the loaf falls out.  seems easy enough . . .

has the food scene picked up any in Eindhoven?  used to stay @ mandarin park.  fairly "industrial area"....

3 hours ago, AlaMoi said:

all sounds good. 

I'm so glad I did not know that because I've been doing breads in clay for decades and it seems to work for me.

when the pot is preheated, I take off the top and plop in the dough.  seems easy enough....

when it's baked and cooled ten minutes I simple turn it upside down and the loaf falls out.  seems easy enough . . .

has the food scene picked up any in Eindhoven?  used to stay @ mandarin park.  fairly "industrial area"....

Sorry, no offence was mean to clay bakers! If you are happy with it, nobody should be able to tell you otherwise. For us, what we care is that more people eat healthier and tastier bread at home whether they use LoafNest or not. More people baking at home is a win for everyone.

"Industrial area" that would be an adjective that describes most of the Eindhoven thanks to the legacy of being birthplace of Philips. The city is kind of proud of it and many modern buildings are also in the similar architecture. Surely it is not everybody's cup of tea.

The food scene here is alright for a city of its size although more or less stagnant. We do have a few 1, 2 Michelin stars in the city and within cycling distance [yes, Netherlands 😀].

An enthusiastic food lover and product developer. Early in 2018, we ran a successful Kickstarter campaign for a bread making product LoafNest now avaiable on Amazon .  I am on eGullet to spar on ideas for making cooking and baking easier and more robust through well designed high quality products.

On 3/30/2020 at 1:40 PM, AlaMoi said:

why is me thinking a clay Romer-Topf excels at this task?

Maybe because:

4 hours ago, AlaMoi said: