• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking with Distilled Water

Robenco15

I have several gallons of distilled water from when the hurricane blew through. As much as I said I wasn't going to buy water  I caved the day before and distilled was the only thing available.   Never used a drop during the hurricane but it's been used in the steam mop

I use distilled water to make dashi:

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/21765-dashi/?do=findComment&comment=1977154

Which reminds me I have not made dashi in a while.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

The only times I've ever cooked with purchased water were when we lived in Belgium for three months, and discovered that the tap water was so hard that lentils wouldn't soften if you tried to cook them in it. I suspect that the cookbook authors that are specifically calling for purchased water are hedging their bets against hard tap water. Everywhere else I've lived, it hasn't been a problem.

I wouldn't try to cook with distilled water. It tastes yucky.

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2