• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rooibos

donk79

Recently I have been looking for a new evening beverage.  I have tried several herbal teas but would really like something that I did not feel a need to add sugar to.  I can find this in coffee and tea easily enough, but then there is the caffeine I have to avoid in the evening (please don't mention decaf!).  I n pondering the topic, it occurred to me that one thing that tea and coffee have in common is a fermentation process that contributes to their complexity. Google tells me that rooibos is processed similarly, and that it potentially may be much better than the spiced blends I have already sampled.

So I would love some recommendations.  If you drink rooibos, what is your favorite and why?  And if you can tell me where to get it, so much the better!  Thank you!

Thank you, Kerry.  That looks like a great site!  You would not happen to know if they ship to the US, do you?  I could not find an indication on the site.  Everything there seems to assume you live in Canada.

1 hour ago, donk79 said:

Thank you, Kerry.  That looks like a great site!  You would not happen to know if they ship to the US, do you?  I could not find an indication on the site.  Everything there seems to assume you live in Canada.

I'm not Kerry but I can see that they do ship to the US, didn't follow through to see specific shipping charges, but here are the basics:

http://www.tweedandhickory.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/customerservice.html#shipping

They have quite the selection! 

I use Republic of Tea in the US, but my needs are simple and unsophisticated. They do have some Rooibus though. 

http://www.republicoftea.com/?q=rooibos

Metropolitan Tea is a wholesale outfit - so not sure if they ship to individuals. My original link was them but I see that that led to a link to Tweed and Hickory - about whom I know nothing sadly.

Yes Canada.

• Like 1