• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (2018)

BonVivant

lunch was this Trial Sandwich :

CBS.thumb.jpg.8703ae9c4e3cc8f27d2b36e2ad1dfce9.jpg

its SV CB w Smoke

you can read more about it on this thread :

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/156356-stpatrick-aka-cornedbeef-2018/?page=5&tab=comments#comment-2146851

big big Yum !

money-mouth.gif.512719a46784d9fc4e82bc79b471004b.gif

I can't wait to try the SV'd then cold smoked TB's

I have tow TB's to do tomorrow  and they will be treated the same way

suprise.gif

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 5

On 25/03/2018 at 11:36 PM, Smokeydoke said:

I've never had Tyrolean speck before but I love (addicted) Serrano ham and prosciutto. I may have to try some. Any brand you recommend?

Those cured sausages look wonderful.

Tyrolrean Speck (/shpegk /) blows prosciutto out of the water. Incomparable. People who make proscuitto must own many salt mines.

I don't know the brand, there are a few. But first, check if anyone even imports this Speck to the US. Here's a nice photo I found of different types of Tyrolean Speck.

I also have a salt-fat tooth.

More soupy noodles.

This time red-cooked tofu (红烧豆腐 hóng shāo dòu fǔ), fresh shiitake mushrooms and spinach in a chicken stock with fresh ramen noodles. Chilli and white pepper for kick.

hs1.thumb.jpg.3ee55d2fcc51cc5a4a118b70c0a9431e.jpg

Red-cooked Tofu

noodles2.thumb.jpg.6f7ca2cd241cc7dfb00d1e55b9997b60.jpg

Noodles without broth

noodles1.thumb.jpg.64ba523d26b2e491482879ea69f927b3.jpg

Noodles with broth

• Like 9

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Murmura chivda. Puffed rice with spices (notably turmeric, fennel seeds and curry leaves), chickpeas, coconut chips, chopped peanuts, onion,  chili and coriander.

Eaten with BrewDog Elvis Juice IPA.

IMG_20180303_203826_1.thumb.jpg.ab82dff77d012dbce3ef07ecb21b3ce3.jpg

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 7

~ Shai N.

After spending yesterday trying to organize my spice collection and today finishing that up and starting to organize my freezer, I determined I really needed a reward. 

A7F923BE-A8A3-470B-8BE2-18D4E09431AE.thumb.jpeg.a7e21b5aae4c51d05290198e1b5a52bb.jpeg

The tiny sirloin was labelled as being already sous vided.  It was not! So I quickly thawed it, seared it and then bunged into the Breville

smart oven for five minutes at  400°F.  Such is the reason I will never become totally vegetarian. 

• Like 10

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Curious what you slather under your herring, Anna...

Lunch today, simple but delicious -

Rahier Baguette

Cumbrae's fresh churned Quebec salted butter

Copious amounts of Prosciutto Di Parma

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TicTac said:

Curious what you slather under your herring, Anna...

Lunch today, simple but delicious -

Rahier Baguette

Cumbrae's fresh churned Quebec salted butter

Copious amounts of Prosciutto Di Parma

When I am being traditional and not quite so lazy then I make my own spread with goose fat, onions and apples.  Today I’m afraid it was butter. My late husband is probably looking on with horror. xD

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, TicTac said:

Interesting - would love to hear a bit more about said spread.  Just made some schmaltz, perhaps that + apples would work....

My mother-in-law who lived much of her life in Denmark, taught me to chop up an apple and an onion and cook them very slowly in goose fat along with some peppercorns.   No measurements. Just wing it and if goose fat is really hard to come by then duck fat will work just as well.  I really need to make some!   But then there is so much that I really need to do. xD

I don’t see why chicken fat shouldn’t be just as interesting.

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

Any particular type of apple?  Very interesting combination, I will have to give it a go!  Oh, and if you do not already, buy your pickled herring pieces at Costco!  For around $1 more, you get a huge jar of the beasties...my 2 year old loves them, so this size should last a bit longer than the last few.

54 minutes ago, TicTac said:

Any particular type of apple?  Very interesting combination, I will have to give it a go!  Oh, and if you do not already, buy your pickled herring pieces at Costco!  For around $1 more, you get a huge jar of the beasties...my 2 year old loves them, so this size should last a bit longer than the last few.

I have never worried about the type of apple although I’d avoid a red delicious but then I’d avoid those for anything except compost. I usually find myself with a granny Smith or a mutsu on hand. 

Thanks for the information about Costco but there’s only me and I don’t really like to keep an open jar too very long even in the refrigerator. 

My 2004 eG Blog

9 hours ago, Anna N said:

After spending yesterday trying to organize my spice collection and today finishing that up and starting to organize my freezer, I determined I really needed a reward. 

A7F923BE-A8A3-470B-8BE2-18D4E09431AE.thumb.jpeg.a7e21b5aae4c51d05290198e1b5a52bb.jpeg

The tiny sirloin was labelled as being already sous vided.  It was not! So I quickly thawed it, seared it and then bunged into the Breville

smart oven for five minutes at  400°F.  Such is the reason I will never become totally vegetarian. 

Looking good ... do you typically eat your meal on the floor, though ?

16 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Looking good ... do you typically eat your meal on the floor, though ?

Floor?  The tiles are my coffee table. I might end up on the floor after the meal depending on how many glasses of akvavit I drink. 

• Haha 6

My 2004 eG Blog

6 hours ago, Anna N said:

Floor?  The tiles are my coffee table. I might end up on the floor after the meal depending on how many glasses of akvavit I drink. 

With the shelf and the drawers in the background I probably got confused (no, no Aquavit consumption here ...). Some of my friends don't have kitchen tables either O.o

• Like 1

Hamburger with feta cheese spread, sautéed black trumpet mushrooms, pickles.  On potato bun.  I was going to grill the hamburgers but we ran out of propane as the grill was preheating.  Broke my heart since the weather is so nice.  Searing patties in cast iron pan was ok too.

IMG_0542.thumb.JPG.78eeb3b08aa04a54505b7e5468d42b0b.JPG

• Like 6

A few years ago, I put in a propane fired stand-by generator and bought two 150 gal propane tanks to replace the 100 lb tank, owned by a different gas company. As an afterthought, I asked if they could hook the gas grill to those tanks. As it turned out what I pay for propane almost dropped in half because I own the tanks and I never have to drive around with a propane tank in the car, which I never liked doing.

HC

• Like 1

Seared tuna with bok choi.  I cooked bok choi in a Dutch oven with lid closed without IMG_0545.thumb.JPG.4ce297e8a0dffe7f4b7ef4dc124b665b.JPGany additional liquid, stirred it a couple of times, added a splash of soy sauce at the end.

• Like 7

5ac16244d7ee8_easterlunch.JPG.f647937eff3bca031ee777d11891b031.JPG

After the grandson decided at 3 a.m. it was morning, I was not at my best for Easter lunch. Fortunately, I had mostly cooked yesterday, so today was a matter of warming up and cooking the green things.

Which I managed to screw up. Forgot about the green peas (I love to cook a mixture of shelled and sugar snaps in the shell) and steamed them too long. The asparagus, just pan-sauteed with some asiago grated over it, was pretty much perfect, though. The Aldi Appleton Farms ham was predictably good (and on sale for 99 cents a pound! I bought two and stashed one in the freezer), as was the old standby corn casserole.

Deviled eggs, in a trick I think I learned on here, were boiled and the filling prepped last night. Whites went in one plastic bag, filling in another. Set the whites out on the plate, snipped the corner off the filling bag, and piped them full. Easy peasy.

First candied sweet potatoes I've made in eons. I found my mother's recipe, which is simplicity in and of itself. Boil six small potatoes (I steamed them in the IP); peel and cut in half. Heat in a saucepan 1 cup white Karo syrup, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/2 stick butter. Pour over potatoes in baking dish, and baste occasionally when baking. Bake 1 hour in 325-degree oven.

Thought about adding cinnamon, nutmeg, etc., but declined.

• Like 5

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

La zi ji, Sichuanese dry-fried chicken. It’s intense. And my new best friend (an 80yr old grocer I met in Chinatown) gave me some very high grade red AND green Sichuan peppercorns and the green is so different; very sharp and floral and not at all musky or smoky like the red peppercorns.

I also removed the chicken skin and chopped it and fried it separately, so there were lots of crispy, fatty little golden nuggets of skin to ferret out with your chopsticks from the chilli deathpile.

B0055980-188C-48C8-8E7C-EDA838CDFEC5.thumb.jpeg.49410c36487d5d3674ba91ce7cbac9f8.jpeg

B76CA45A-E93E-4ED0-AEAA-5A034D06C5FB.thumb.jpeg.4d9611a28a3e1a3e9ebdbfb0600aa2e6.jpeg

77C59C10-3C15-4CED-9724-DEE66D80DDC5.thumb.jpeg.8de01764c3469dfd43386e5c6ae0ca82.jpeg

• Like 10