• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

BonVivant

Lunch! What'd ya have? (2018)

Finally made it down to Chinatown to get some specialty ingredients and stopped off for lunch. 

20181014_132135.thumb.jpg.4307d6cc1dab0623203af70de9c3d59a.jpg

This place is known for their hand pulled noodles and their dumplings. The dumplings were so good that I got a bag of them to take home.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, KennethT said:

Finally made it down to Chinatown to get some specialty ingredients and stopped off for lunch. 

20181014_132135.thumb.jpg.4307d6cc1dab0623203af70de9c3d59a.jpg

This place is known for their hand pulled noodles and their dumplings. The dumplings were so good that I got a bag of them to take home.

Where did you go? 

14 minutes ago, MetsFan5 said:

Where did you go? 

Lan Zhou Hand Pulled Noodles and Dumpling.  They're on Bowery about a block south of Canal.  They used to be on East Broadway in a much smaller space, but have moved maybe a year ago to the current location.  There's a window in the back of the dining room where you can watch the guy pulling a huge skein of noodles... didn't get a photo of it though.  The dumplings are amazing, and the noodles had great texture, but I thought the broth was under seasoned - but that's easily rectified by the jar of homemade chili oil, and bottles of black vinegar and soy sauce on each table...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was so taken by the freshness, size and price (75 cents each) of the local (Noank, CT) oysters I bought for dinner yesterday, that I made another trip to my go-to fish market this morning. They had gotten a fresh delivery and I was able to choose from an excellent collection buried in the ice today. These were bigger and fresher still! Noank Blue Points and Dogs and Boats makes the sun shine, in spite of this cold and rainy day. I even got out the ice shaver and put them on a bed of the stuff.

HCIMG_2403.thumb.JPG.f5a397a0960b00cd69f31f05abfbbd47.JPGIMG_2406.thumb.JPG.1dc85efb833bc7bac365712373bf03e4.JPGIMG_2401.thumb.JPG.a312950ee6043170e3d6697ef96fb920.JPG

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 4

Chef salad today with a garlic laden homemade vinaigrette dressing and homemade lime acqua frizzante.

HC

IMG_2426.thumb.JPG.fbac4f54af4b7b4e279d79007ca378bb.JPGIMG_2424.thumb.JPG.d911c9f8639bfdf3b03499032380f86b.JPG

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 4

Sorry, wrong thread. I posted it here and not the dinner. If Smithy sees this please move to dinner. Thanks.

--------------

I stayed at a traditional guest house on Yonaguni island where home-style meals are included in the price. Seaweed of some kind is served with almost every meal, no matter how small the amount. Japan already holds the record for longevity but the highest concentration of centenarians is found in the Ryukyu archipelago. (Look up the well documented Blue Zone study)

Impossible to photograph this seaweed soup.

sDuMhN0.jpg

P7mQMBi.jpg

Mahi and marlin are some of the most common fish around here (but marlin is king).

fziknBH.jpg

Only tasted the sauce and I stopped there. Sauce had Japanese mayo and hard-boiled egg. I would have made it with miso (butter).

tLW8Evn.jpg

Squid and celery tasted buttery to me.

2Srn1GV.jpg

Went to a restaurant a few doors down the road for beer and more sashimi.

TjOxGR2.jpg

8YNUWRA.jpg

Locally made booze is 60%. The men drink both beer and booze at the same time.

bYbJHFR.jpg

Edited by BonVivant (log)
  • Like 2

6930288E-8A70-4E0B-BD13-4B299F86CC8C.thumb.jpeg.5222d0122df05a13a4a7b6c243d8a66a.jpeg

Panko Crusted Pork Tenderloin with mushroom gravy, steamed broccoli and loaded mashed potatoes at the Gordon Street Tavern in Alvin

• Like 1
  • Delicious 1