• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (2018)

BonVivant

An excursion to see the Roman ruins and then ended up in medieval Meknes where I had lunch.

Giant white bean soup/stew.

y3IufeB.jpg

KYznuh2.jpg

8iiXutR.jpg

Merguez

YKVPUXf.jpg

Morocco is obsessed with symmetry and patterns. Even on my salad plate.

IYf3q9U.jpg

An employee took me around to show me what they had and I pointed at what I wanted.

7hxMjdf.jpg

0x3C2Mx.jpg

• Like 8

32 minutes ago, suzilightning said:

PLEASE tell me those ants are fake or on the dish!

😬 Yes, they are part of the plate. They make it a real picnic! 🤪 I found these plates at a shop in north Texas last Spring. I just had to have them!

Set of four plates.

Edited by robirdstx (log)
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

My favourite but inconveniently located supermarket in town, most unusually, had skinless duck breasts on offer for less than the bus fare home, so I bought a couple.

Made a sort of Thai style Duck Red Curry. Or is it Red Duck Curry? I don't know. 

On my many visits to Thailand, I have never come across any such dish, so I ask for forgiveness if I have trespassed . But it was pretty tasty.

duck.thumb.jpg.67f2672825af26d758759caa8392c461.jpg

• Like 8

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

On my many visits to Thailand, I have never come across any such dish, so I ask for forgiveness if I have trespassed .

Don’t know about Thailand but some of the better Thai restaurants around here offer it. Delicious.  Must say that I have never seen skinless duck breasts for sale here. Seems such a shame to me. I mean it’s a shame to find naked ones. 

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

19 hours ago, suzilightning said:

PLEASE tell me those ants are fake or on the dish!

After seeing @robirdstx's set, I bought one of my own. They're great for surprising people.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

15 hours ago, Anna N said:

Don’t know about Thailand but some of the better Thai restaurants around here offer it. Delicious.  Must say that I have never seen skinless duck breasts for sale here. Seems such a shame to me. I mean it’s a shame to find naked ones. 

I'd never seen skinless here before, yet they were proudly labelled "skinless", but in Chinese of course! I prefer them with skin, but these were so cheap I couldn't resist.

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

EC523E72-F742-4809-A213-A190866FD46D.thumb.jpeg.fc8f8999825db317d4d206bdbf19fd35.jpeg

Egg soboro, salmon (canned) soboro and some blanched sugar snaps over rice. 

• Like 7

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Had my obligatory NYD meal: Blackeyed peas, cooked with tomatoes and smoked sausage, greens and cornbread. I may go back and have some cornbread with sorghum molasses and butter later on, for old times' sake.

1312180405_nyddinner.thumb.png.c081e81d3fe2eb7587f8654883a9c417.png

The peas were over rice. I have a massive amount of both left.

Ate a single bite of greens (I loathe them). I'm hoping that was enough to appease the Gods of Greens. Let the good luck commence.

• Like 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

On 12/15/2018 at 6:05 PM, Anna N said:

01169E93-CDA1-47E7-B010-D79E94FECC8E.thumb.jpeg.2e46c7436be4e374d8a82b32fe2d53ff.jpeg

Salad of sous vide shrimp, blanched broccoli, tomatoes, red onion and hard-boiled egg. 

Sous vide shrimp is under appreciated.  ESP if done in butter. 

• Like 3

Interesting on the butter shrimp SV. I've never SV'd so I don't mean to dis it. I have recently come to the conclusion that I prefer shrimp not brutally subjected to high heat via grill, saute, or broil/roast. I make a bit of broth with Dijon mustard, butter and herbs. Bring to a boil for a couple minutes. Add the shrimp and simmer for just a minute or two, pop lid on, and let get cozy off heat for a bit. I've been using Argentinian Red.

• Like 1

On 1/2/2019 at 8:43 AM, rotuts said:

@gfweb

time and temps for Butter Shrimp ?

I did 138 F for 15 minutes. Serious Eats has a nice article showing how different temps affect shrimps.

Sometimes I put a splash of sherry HOAc and a 1/2 tsp pimenton in with them and serve on rounds of baguette

• Like 3

On 1/2/2019 at 11:37 AM, heidih said:

Interesting on the butter shrimp SV. I've never SV'd so I don't mean to dis it. I have recently come to the conclusion that I prefer shrimp not brutally subjected to high heat via grill, saute, or broil/roast. I make a bit of broth with Dijon mustard, butter and herbs. Bring to a boil for a couple minutes. Add the shrimp and simmer for just a minute or two, pop lid on, and let get cozy off heat for a bit. I've been using Argentinian Red.

I know SV seems overkill on something that cooks a fast as shrimp do. But it really lets you pick the texture you like, and it simplifies it because you can't overshoot your temp.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I completely agree with

@gfweb

you have a range of exact textures w SV , reproducible

esp w fish / shellfish

of course its sort of like the choices you get w SV eggs.

Tilapia is another example.

its a fairly flavorless , relatively tough fish

w SV , you can add a flavor , and pick and exact texture that turns it into a reasonable meal

its never going to be Dover Sole , not ever ever

but 134 f  for 30  results in something not so bad.

as its a bland fish

I like a like sprinkling of Penzey's  Chicago Steak  seasoning  ( original P's not their off shoot )

its also nice w a smear of Patak's   Vindaloo , Tikka , Biryani   all pastes not simmer sauce   but the Ss might work in a pinch

bet the other pastes might be nice too.   I start from Fz with the fish from TJ's  in a bag that has kept its seal

but remove the fish into a SV bag.  if from Tz  add 5 - 10  w a fully heated water bath.

the T become edible !

• Like 2