• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (2018)

BonVivant

We went to the new Italian restaurant which opened in space at our gym.  I know, sounds weird.  It seats around 45 people and they made a separate entrance for non-gym customers.  The owners are Italians from the Milan area.  The moved to Canada a few years ago...to the Vancouver area.  They wanted to open a small restaurant there but the rent was so high...$25,000 a month for a tiny place.  They were visiting friends in the area and decided to relocate.  The husband builds gas pizza ovens and he installed one in the restaurant.  They have a fancy Italian coffee machine with two grinders.  The kitchen was quite well equipped otherwise.   There were four of us.  We had two 12 inch pizzas which were very Italian...not too much topping, simple tomatoes under the cheese and toppings.  Made to order.  They brought us fresh Parmesan chunks to go with our wine after we ate the pizza and then offered some little pastries.  The owners were very friendly.  A supplier came in to deliver some custom beer pitchers and they asked him if he would like a coffe...did that a few times.  We really hope they do well and we will be supporting them probably once a week for a post work out snack or meal.  The big problem is the location.  They need to work some social media.  One of our group is bringing his hockey group to have pizza and beer next week...25 people.  That will be a test for them..

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

We went to the new Italian restaurant which opened in space at our gym.  I know, sounds weird. 

There's a little Middle Eastern cafe in the YMCA in Saint John, as of a week ago. That one's perfectly logical, because the Y hosts a number of programs for new arrivals and we have a lot of Syrian refugees here. The cafe is operated by two of those recent arrivals, a pair of women who live nearby.

I haven't been to the gym since they opened because of this damned crud that's going around (I seldom get sick but this one's holding on, and in my GF's case it turned to pneumonia) but I certainly plan to within the next few days.

• Like 4

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

11 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

We went to the new Italian restaurant which opened in space at our gym.  I know, sounds weird.  It seats around 45 people and they made a separate entrance for non-gym customers.  The owners are Italians from the Milan area.  The moved to Canada a few years ago...to the Vancouver area.  They wanted to open a small restaurant there but the rent was so high...$25,000 a month for a tiny place.  They were visiting friends in the area and decided to relocate.  The husband builds gas pizza ovens and he installed one in the restaurant.  They have a fancy Italian coffee machine with two grinders.  The kitchen was quite well equipped otherwise.   There were four of us.  We had two 12 inch pizzas which were very Italian...not too much topping, simple tomatoes under the cheese and toppings.  Made to order.  They brought us fresh Parmesan chunks to go with our wine after we ate the pizza and then offered some little pastries.  The owners were very friendly.  A supplier came in to deliver some custom beer pitchers and they asked him if he would like a coffe...did that a few times.  We really hope they do well and we will be supporting them probably once a week for a post work out snack or meal.  The big problem is the location.  They need to work some social media.  One of our group is bringing his hockey group to have pizza and beer next week...25 people.  That will be a test for them..

An Italian building GAS Pizza ovens!?

Blasphemy!

😛

I was up early, as usual, to make Deb's lunch, only to learn that a satisfied customer was buying lunch for everyone in the shop today. It was 14 F this morning, so doing anything outside (besides bringing in firewood), was out of the question. A hot meal from the oven, like meatloaf, seemed like a good idea for tonight, so off I went to get the fixens. I have  learned that the final product benefits form being assembled early and having a rest in the fridge for an few hours, so that is what I did. Skipping breakfast and opting for an early lunch that included fried zucchini with a spicy ranch dip, I intend to have a rest of my own this afternoon.

HC

IMG_3229.thumb.JPG.ff7b565ae3bf097edbe59a8c1232d1b8.JPGIMG_3230.thumb.JPG.0e261e7499cd28e7aa7ceaac9db9028a.JPG 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, rotuts said:

@HungryChris

"  fried zucchini  "

Ill light a candle  for you 

I have to confess that I have the overwhelming belief, that given the chance, I could fix whatever is broken in your mind on the subject of zucchini! In the mean time, I'm the one lighting the candle for you, sir!

HC

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Haha 4

I don't generally do lunch but today my little boy showed up unexpected and unannounced.  He dragged me from bed, to lunch, and through the local candy shop that's been in business forty years.  He needed fruit slices and could not find a source closer to where he lives.  Besides he has fond memories of the store from when he was little (more little).

His lunch was a bento box.  My lunch was eggplant and tofu in garlic sauce.  Followed by a quick stop for wine and brandy.  I sent him home with a bag of my Felchlin Maracaibo Creole bars...

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/156096-chocolate-making-things-i-learned-in-my-early-months/?do=findComment&comment=2182289

• Like 7

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

575F6CEC-F136-4388-9F0B-9402A60FF3E7.thumb.jpeg.12d369973df718d585dcc071ac8183a1.jpeg

Pork and beans over rice.  I cannot tell you how good this was. And I’m not claiming credit. The recipe is simple and fast.  Here.

• Like 11

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

On ‎12‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 4:48 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

He needed fruit slices and could not find a source closer to where he lives.  Besides he has fond memories of the store from when he was little (more little).

ohhh....I'm with him on those fruit slices!!!!

Mr. Finklelstein's store in Sag Harbor.....I can identify totally.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

46 minutes ago, suzilightning said:

ohhh....I'm with him on those fruit slices!!!!

Mr. Finklelstein's store in Sag Harbor.....I can identify totally.

No, he thinks they're vile.  The fruit slices were not for him.

24 minutes ago, suzilightning said:

😞

But you could commiserate with Jess, my fruit slice loving daughter-in-law!  I just hope she isn't reading this.

But speaking of nostalgic confections, on yesterday's visit (to Robinson's if anyone knows the area) I saw Bonomo was back in the Turkish Taffy business!  Bonomo's was my favorite back in the day, say when I was seven and my teeth were better.

Sometime in the 1990's (I do believe) Vermont Country Store sold a brand of taffy that they claimed was similar to Bonomo's but it didn't do it for me.  I kept the bars in the freezer and only pitched the last ones recently.

But it seems I am late to the party!  Bonomo's has been back in business for about eight years.  Maybe I should frequent candy stores more often.

http://www.bonomoturkishtaffy.com/MuseumHistory_ep_40.html

• Haha 1

Lunch on Ishigaki before taking the bouncy ferry to Iriomote island.

i8rwwGz.jpg

Wanted to try something new: Okinawan screw pine, AKA pandanus palm. It's a common plant in Okinawa.

rtAmYzZ.jpg

Ishigaki island has its own beef production. (About Ishigaki beef)

OhjVSzx.jpg

My lunch at home.

j12e2P8.jpg

Everything comes from the North Sea and (north) Atlantic.

1jM4wYN.jpg

• Like 7

Cooked for one of my favorite men today. Argentine red shrimp  (China!) simmered in a flavorful broth, Calrose new crop rice, a red cabbage slaw and crushed peanuts and Huy Fong Chili Garlic  Sauce on the side.  It was nice to see him heap up a second plate. And he brought the dog who was over the top interested in the shrimp.  No pic as he would have thought it odd.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, HungryChris said:

Stadium brat with kimchi,

Kimchi cures everything!

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Lunch in Fez, Morocco. Little things and bread first.

saO9ta0.jpg

P9qvazw.jpg

Morocco is land of dates, palms and olives.

XKb3dVn.jpg

Full name of Morocco in Arabic.

8nelB5D.jpg

Typical Moroccan dishes they serve here.

0rbxV36.jpg

First thing I ate after 16 hours.

GnXAlz1.jpg

• Like 8

Ten years ago, my dear friend J and I established a tradition of having Christmas Eve lunch together. This has to take place in a restaurant we have never visited before and each year we alternate in choosing the venue. This year it was my turn to choose (which also meant it was J's turn to pay!). I paid last year.

I actually chose two new, adjacent restaurants and waited to see which appealed most on the day. In the end we went to 海吃海喝 (hǎi chī hǎi hē), literally 'Sea Eat, Sea Drink'. As you will have  guessed it's a sea food  place, but with a difference. It is a seafood hot pot joint. Each table is automatically served a bowl of steaming hot broth in two sections - spiced and plain. Then you walk around this large selection of ingredients and help yourself to what you fancy, then cook it in the broth. The table also has a hotplate for grilling meat or seafood if you prefer.

The deal is that you pay 55元 per head (around $8 USD) and you have two hours to enjoy your lunch. Over-stayers have to pay again! As a precaution against waste, you are also required to leave a further 10元 ($1.40) per head as a deposit against taking food from the buffet and not eating it. When you are done your table is inspected and you are issued with a ticket to claim your 10元 back.

The seafood was beautifully fresh, as were vegetables, fruit etc. They also had some pre-prepared dishes of offer, again buffet style, but we did not partake of those. The 55元 also covers drinks including beer. That we partook.

The lighting was a bit odd, so the pictures aren't great.

10.thumb.jpg.22247ec7be3058ea00c0080d168b13d6.jpg

Seafood

4.thumb.jpg.b300750761871ac279857fa371b1398e.jpg

More seafood

5.thumb.jpg.edf0f920ed51e1c934eba309cc24d12e.jpg

And more

20181224_124005.thumb.jpg.b0221e6f2554ef8e00fd4ca56c29c6a3.jpg

And more

6.thumb.jpg.8c67c75091b06e808d06557ba2b5b5c7.jpg

Marinated ingredients

12.thumb.jpg.b92088afb45cf886bacf70ab493443f5.jpg

Sea snails

11.thumb.jpg.56b4285c57d32a648b770bc9bb3b07d2.jpg

Yet more seafood

15.thumb.jpg.509c3590b88fcfb5af59560af314cfa7.jpg

Tiny clams

13.thumb.jpg.7688d49b83d7b3e1ab27d42f71b57cef.jpg

Green lipped mussels

16.thumb.jpg.a066ad3466534aed731542b2236040f3.jpg

Vegetables and charcuterie

There were a couple of oddities.

9.thumb.jpg.de448d32e0047c3fe6ba844d20de7e40.jpg

Durian and blueberry pizza, anyone?

8.thumb.jpg.10e1fb762aee9c93107c76bd46601fce.jpg

A large bowl of fries/chips. Stone cold and limp.

We paid more than one or two visits to stock up. Here is some of what we ate, but first a terrible shot of the hot pot broths.

2.thumb.jpg.7cdbece7f18571b2c63fd1403577c2a5.jpg

1.thumb.jpg.e2268ef03474c835ff231ded318aca56.jpg

Clams and one fry/chip

3.thumb.jpg.c197eeb8c533bb990d6ccecc7f368886.jpg

14.thumb.jpg.e31d695083ef06b265023f0344d36607.jpg

These are 黄蜂鱼 (huáng fēng yú) which translates as 'yellow wasp fish'. I'm not sure exactly what they are.

7.thumb.jpg.feb63110406933d458c7a62378fa4bd4.jpg

I forgot to mention there is also a station for dips which you can mix yourself.

Here is a short walk around the food counters.

We ate our fill and then some, then reclaimed our deposits as we were good children and ate everything! Thanks J. See you next year!

Edited by liuzhou
added image (log)
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto