• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (2018)

BonVivant

C2BFD8C5-1603-4077-86B3-BD759859CCF9.thumb.jpeg.ecfc6da328ff78fd51c3236b109358fd.jpeg

Salad of tomato, red onion and cucumber with a simple mayo dressing and a teriyaki spam onigirazu. (These rice “sandwiches” seemed daunting in the beginning but now I think I could make them in my sleep.   Truth be told, sometimes I’m sure I make them in my sleep.)

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

46 minutes ago, robirdstx said:

Nachos with Lamb

That looks so good.  I don’t think it would have occurred to me to put lamb with natchos but I’d certainly be willing to try it. But it does bring to mind the Irish nachos we get in some of our road houses that would work really well with lamb.

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, heidih said:

@shain  Interesting gratin. Were the lentils pre-cooked or crisped/fried in a South Asian sty;e?

They are pre cooked. Placed at the bottom, they capture the sauce droppings that otherwise just pool there. They also add protein and makes this dish (plus some chopped salad) a full meal. 

~ Shai N.

ECBBB524-5F45-40FA-A92A-D0505CEB7A68.thumb.jpeg.e32493c081c15470e793db484b1d7054.jpeg

A tiny bento:  Cucumber with umeboshi dressing, tomato and onion salad,  potato salad topped with two devilled egg halves.

• Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog

4CAADC07-3DA9-4D73-B956-9D2EF9E57AA3.thumb.jpeg.7dd8559e138bf296f46c556386b2e115.jpeg

Probably the last of the cabbage rolls excavated from my freezer. I reheated them in the Cuisinart Steam oven on the steam bake function at 325°F for 20 minutes.   They are seriously worth a repeat performance.   They freeze beautifully.

• Like 9

My 2004 eG Blog

After returning from my monthly foray into the neighboring state of Rhode Island for wine, a trip to TJ's ( which does not carry wine) and  BJ's, I made a sandwich in a whole wheat pita with mortadella, marinated zucchini ribbons and roasted red peppers. It was a messy thing to eat, but so worth the effort.

IMG_3103.thumb.JPG.e05de9754f23cad8e997d4c0c79b8d1e.JPGIMG_3102.thumb.JPG.26edc057b40091d7b524ef6c2d6781da.JPG

Between the wine, gas and the nearest TJ's, it is so worth the effort and the 17 miles each way. It probably saves me between $35 and $50. Here is an example: On a recent trip to Italy, we acquired a taste for aperol spritzes. This bottle costs $32 in the town where I live, but is $18 where I go in RI.

HC

IMG_3106.thumb.JPG.138a037403c7b1065e24ef1261b3aa9e.JPG

• Like 8

BF6109E6-E81B-41DD-A51D-5F8306B5DE4F.thumb.jpeg.8dca21751792c711c81c90ab320900b5.jpeg

Rice with aornori sprinkles, carrot salad and “doggy bag” prime rib with horseradish and jus.  Couple of tomatoes and some pickled ginger In the gaps. 

• Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog

This was going to be breakfast but the cilantro I planned to use for the zhoug turned out to be a second bag of parsley. I put things on hold until I could run out to the store so I didn't sit down to eat until close to noon.

Lunch, it is!

fullsizeoutput_38ff.thumb.jpeg.d875a0155fdce02b8e49fa0ec45c481a.jpeg

All from Shaya:  Shakshouka served with Zhoug and Pita. 

The Shakshouka has Jerusalem artichokes and fava beans along with the usual suspects.

For this batch of pita, I used half regular bread flour and half whole grain Sonora Red Fife wheat flour from Roan Mills. I was pleased that they still have good flavor and chew. 

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1

On November 27, 2018 at 3:55 PM, KennethT said:

I imagine you'd need a knife though, unless you're doing it caveman (or cavewoman to be precise) style!

With a nice plate of ribs like Anna's I'd be going full caveman and gnawing on the bones 

Edited by scubadoo97 (log)
  • Like 2

I was on a hunt for some important papers this morning and ran across a print out of this.    Coupled with a very strong desire to use this beautiful bowl (chocolatiers might recognize it as the work of @patris. I did consult with her that it was OK to use the bowl for purposes other than what it was initially designed for!) culminated in:

890955BC-FA78-48CA-B431-1E3E9BFDA990.thumb.jpeg.969b30968bf85a9f17db320cca8f8da3.jpeg

Spicy instant ramen with doggy bag rib roast, shredded cabbage, a poached egg and some toasted nori. 

Edited by Anna N
To remove duplicate photo (log)
  • Like 9
  • Delicious 1

My 2004 eG Blog

29 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I was on a hunt for some important papers this morning and ran across a print out of this.    Coupled with a very strong desire to use this beautiful bowl (chocolatiers might recognize it as the work of @patris. I did consult with her that it was OK to use the bowl for purposes other than what it was initially designed for!) culminated in:

890955BC-FA78-48CA-B431-1E3E9BFDA990.thumb.jpeg.969b30968bf85a9f17db320cca8f8da3.jpeg

Spicy instant ramen with doggy bag rib roast, shredded cabbage, a poached egg and some toasted nori. 

It's an off-label use, but I will allow it for such a gorgeous meal!

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

Patty

5 hours ago, heidih said:

With all the recent ramen hype globally I think those hyper cheap instant noodles don't get enough cred. The unique frying/drying process  results in an amazingly toothsome noodle with zero effort. We have our own local instant noode pioneer here https://nissinfoods.com/our-story

I must confess I prefer instant ramen noodles to store bought dried traditional ramen noodles.  I have never tried making my own.  And I am unlikely any time to try.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Lunch in in the big city Düsseldorf . Mettwurst is a type of lightly smoked sausage. Green stuff is "rapini" with potatoes.

lPJpyUx.jpg

Can never trust anyone not to overcook my liver.

x0YAPIl.jpg

NFTyXku.jpg

I usually sit in this area where it fills up last. At peak meal times you won't be able to choose any specific table.

WyZZnCl.jpg

Servers are all males and usually middle-aged.

15bzf0A.jpg

All door handles in the toilets are in the shape of their wooden beer casks. They only have one beer and it is cask-dispensed.

Pe1n0UT.jpg

At another brewery shortly after. Unfortunately it was so dark the photo didn't turn out. On the plate are a few cold things: raw pork mince, liver paté, brawn.

QR2n5IO.jpg

Picked up some Lebkuchen before heading back.

RldOfF9.jpg

Also Spekulatius here, @Kim Shook.

zr4Aba4.jpg

8aO9rvC.jpg

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1

I can get the Lebkuchen locally in several places and it is more nostalgia than love of taste. Not familiar with Oblaten in that context.. I think of that word as the tasteless communion wafer like layers we filled with a chocolate mousse like filling from the good Doc (Oetker). All else, as always,  looks wonderful. 

01169E93-CDA1-47E7-B010-D79E94FECC8E.thumb.jpeg.2e46c7436be4e374d8a82b32fe2d53ff.jpeg

Salad of sous vide shrimp, blanched broccoli, tomatoes, red onion and hard-boiled egg. 

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, kayb said:

@Anna N -- what kind of dressing is that? Mayo and....?

Kewpie mayo. 

My 2004 eG Blog