• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (2018)

BonVivant

B2D37EAB-36EC-4E03-9DFC-1B96EC302B05.thumb.jpeg.5073798e77304f42120013abd994617d.jpeg

Baby back ribs from The Japanese Grill. 

The absence of chopsticks or a chopstick rest is intentional.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 minute ago, KennethT said:

I imagine you'd need a knife though, unless you're doing it caveman (or cavewoman to be precise) style!

Don’t be such a spoilsport!   Leaves something to everyone’s imagination.😂

😂

😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Linguine with clams steamed in Shaoxing wine, with garlic, ginger and two types of chilli.  I intended to include fermented black beans but when I got there, the cupboard was bare and I was too lazy to go out to buy some. I will remedy that tomorrow.

I have never run out of salt fermented black beans before in all my 23 years in China. Always a first for everything.

clams1.thumb.jpg.43ea49ab351ac806584a762cfe52ba21.jpg

clams2.thumb.jpg.4bf049cf3634ab2609b62aa16c208976.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 8

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

A Chinese restaurant that is not far away and right on Deb's way home from work, has changed hands and has a new menu. It used to be awful and if that has changed for the better, it would be a good thing. I usually get wonton and hot and sour soup when I am testing the waters of a new Chinese place. Deb likes wonton soup, so that will be her lunch tomorrow and I like the hot and sour.

IMG_2897.thumb.JPG.86a481c6ae835451b0f85f5dccacb811.JPG

The hot an sour soup was quite good with plenty of interesting UFOs of varying textures. I did add a little dash of chili oil to bump up the heat just a bit, but it was a great improvement from the previous place!.

HC

IMG_2900.thumb.JPG.c5ba24b05b9bc29612e46302bb9228b1.JPG

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, HungryChris said:

A Chinese restaurant that is not far away and right on Deb's way home from work, has changed hands and has a new menu. It used to be awful and if that has changed for the better, it would be a good thing. I usually get wonton and hot and sour soup when I am testing the waters of a new Chinese place. Deb likes wonton soup, so that will be her lunch tomorrow and I like the hot and sour.

IMG_2897.thumb.JPG.86a481c6ae835451b0f85f5dccacb811.JPG

The hot an sour soup was quite good with plenty of interesting UFOs of varying textures. I did add a little dash of chili oil to bump up the heat just a bit, but it was a great improvement from the previous place!.

HC

IMG_2900.thumb.JPG.c5ba24b05b9bc29612e46302bb9228b1.JPG

So with you on your choice, @HungryChris.  Though I tend to need to add more rice wine vinegar. 

• Like 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I miss our Indian place. I would SO eat Indian tonight.

As it was, I snacked on Froot Loops, dry, from the box after I got home from grocery shopping. Because I've wanted them since I posted about them yesterday and, well, I got them today.

Tomorrow is supposed to be nasty and cold. I plan to stay home and start my holiday baking. Cranberry bread and date-maple-walnut bread.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

This was something I tried:

Cooked White beans

Topped with pickled red onion--  I pickled the red onion in my olive salad mix--Capers/celery/onion/olive juice/red wine/Italian seasoning

Tortilla

46092961171_0eb1f9d0cf_b.jpg

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1

Its good to have Morels

Both Deb and I like a Klondike bar after dinner, from time to time, and we have been out for a month or more. They went on sale this week at Shoprite, so I made a list of things I also like to get there (like  Park's scrapple) and a few other items, put a cooler in the car and headed out. Of course, my favorite sushi place is right next door, so that was part of the plan as well. A spicy tuna California roll, 2 scallop, 2 uni and 2 eel sushi.

HC

IMG_2923.thumb.JPG.2f26b81d9bc5c80603c542eda6dd03d5.JPGIMG_2924.thumb.JPG.18a77ca8ec79a9b611c5a7a788fbe255.JPG

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

B9556842-5FD5-43F2-A063-C75C139F2BE6.thumb.jpeg.754cfde9d8e17079cdf858a4dd2ff73c.jpeg

Okonomiyaki (how you like it). Today I liked it with chopped broccoli stems, cabbage, Sichuan flavoured spam and black forest bacon. 

• Like 11
  • Delicious 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Gotta Love this Stuff!!

Sloppy Joe lettuce wrap-  I cant even remember all the stuff in here/  but I did add Coleman Dried Mustard ( wow ), pickle jalapeno, celery, onion, garlic, Hunts Tomato sauce

46106456891_5dcf3f983e_b.jpg

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1

Its good to have Morels

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

Please tell me that the white isn't Kewpie!

Well I think that is a given with the okonomiyaki along with that thick sweet and Worcestershire driven dark sauce.  I am not a fan.

Edited by heidih (log)

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

Please tell me that the white isn't Kewpie!

Tis!

• Sad 1

My 2004 eG Blog

14 minutes ago, heidih said:

Well I think that is a given with the okonomiyaki along with that thick sweet and Worcestershire driven dark sauce.  I am not a fan.

I am!

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

B79CA03E-7D6D-4D5C-BE76-085F6B9E760B.thumb.jpeg.ea413aa443ea30c1421efd37c5b81ded.jpeg

Noodle bowl with green beans, aburaage, chicken karaage and some furikake. Base was home made chicken stock fortified with some commercial tensuyu. 

• Like 9

My 2004 eG Blog

F3874B9E-EB80-475E-B23D-AD1D8BBB6D39.thumb.jpeg.43a09113d21cd0df06ba9c54c666ba92.jpeg

This was from a day or so ago. It is a very tiny strip loin which I was planning on having for dinner that day. Something went wrong  with my day which I don’t even recall any more and it became lunch.   It has a miso glaze on it and I ate it with out any accompaniments.  This is a small act of rebellion on my part. Something to do with balanced meals.

• Like 7
  • Haha 3

My 2004 eG Blog