• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (2018)

BonVivant

5 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

If that was lunch, what was for dinner??

Dinner will be at home, flying home tonight.  Last night’s dinner was at Le Bernadin.  My daughter in law is livid ;)

• Like 1

@chefmd

what an outstanding lunch !

what makes it for me

is the inclusion of the mushrooms.

anyone can buy FancyPantsBeef

and I feel you cooked your FPB quite well

but Id suggest its the chanterelles that made this a Real Meal

nice.  congratulations.

a nap then ? before dinner ?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, HungryChris said:

We had a great lunch at Ruben's Empanadas in Manhattan some time back. I don't remember what I had, but the beef empanada I saw being eaten at a nearby table looked so good, it has haunted me ever since. Whenever I see Jamaican beef patties in the freezer section, I have been tempted to try them. I finally broke down and bought a 2 pack a while back and tried it today with some fresh salsa. Perhaps it's just the brand, but the experience was less than memorable.

HC

IMG_2615.thumb.JPG.c2f077bc650428e4c687011d78c74cfc.JPGIMG_2618.thumb.JPG.333d2e72226f9876978d2c4d331d416e.JPGIMG_2619.thumb.JPG.d8c2365d11262c059d3b48fc3d03e09a.JPG

Probably the brand.  It's the one that I can find and they aren't very good.  But somehow they scratch a specific itch, so I keep them in the freezer.  

Yes they look dry. I'v only had them from the Viet market that sells homemade warm ones for the Carib clientele. Usually more filling than dough and lots of flavor.  post-52659-0-32717200-1304826764.jpg

On 11/3/2018 at 6:38 PM, kayb said:

A cheeseburger and fries at my favorite diner/dairy bar, where I was fortunate to be able to meet up with @Smithy and her husband, Russ, en route to their snowbirding winter. Also got to meet Prester John, their husky (and a beautiful boy!), a quite large yellow cat, Finn McCool, and another kitty whose name I didn't catch. Third kitty was hiding out.

Good burger, better company.

Yes indeed! We had a great time getting to meet and visit with you. Since you didn't take photos of the food I'll include mine here.

20181103_135816.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Bresaola Salad with Arugula and Parmesan from Shaya. I substituted frisée for the arugula that's called for in the recipe because it's what I had on hand.

fullsizeoutput_3835.thumb.jpeg.89b8ae20c79271ed4ef240f7a3aae256.jpeg
This uses a Preserved Lemon Vinaigrette which is flavored with both za'atar and preserved lemon which bring a different and decidedly non-Italian seasoning to this salad plate. 

• Like 7

Lunch at Ippudo, Admiralty branch. Hakata ramen, well executed with a very “porky” tonkotsu base, with plenty of condiments to taylor your soup. Came in a lunch set with a pork belly bun, which was a bit generic yet tasty nonetheless. They serve cold Roibos tea with the ramen, which worked actually pretty well. Overall a very satisfying lunch. 

7A319F01-5DCC-495A-8493-A1948F0D31C5.jpeg

C94B9FCB-48CA-4C86-B1EC-BC419D6F674F.jpeg

041429E2-C266-48F1-A15C-F3823DA59647.jpeg

• Like 11

3 hours ago, Duvel said:

Lunch at Ippudo, Admiralty branch. Hakata ramen, well executed with a very “porky” tonkotsu base, with plenty of condiments to taylor your soup. 

A garlic press at the table? That’s a first for me. Also, are those packages of Knori that I see? And, forgive me, what were the other condiments?

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

2 minutes ago, Anna N said:

A garlic press at the table? That’s a first for me. Also, are those packages of Knori that I see? And, forgive me, what were the other condiments?

Yup. You can add fresh garlic puree into your hot soup to make it richer. Especially good with the miso ramen. Not so good with your wife.

The other condiments are: Roasted sesame (in a grinder), shichimi togarashi, bean sprouts with chili peppers, pickled "snow vegetable" with spicy bean paste (tasted almost like Gochujang, which would make sense given the geography of Hakata), vinegar, chili oil.

I am not so sure what "Knori" is - tried Google, but nothing substantial came up ...

3 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

I think Anna N meant nori. They look a bit like that to me, too.

Hahaha ... yes ! Now that you say it :biggrin:

There was no nori, that what looks like nori is the menu ...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

I think Anna N meant nori. They look a bit like that to me, too.

Thanks. Yep. Damned poor proofreading!   

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

I thought maybe Knorr was going into the seaweed business.

Lunch today. 三鲜馄饨 (sān xiān hún tún).  Three delicacy wonton soup. The delicacies being pork, shrimp and shiitake. With spinach in a home made silkie chicken broth. Not Knorr!

huntun1.thumb.jpg.1a13572364630dd87f8b19b6c605d4d6.jpg

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

04CB5FC6-BF64-45F0-9BCE-1C1B4E5AC646.thumb.jpeg.ebf7e3821c6c9f3c1b5e6c9ee216ae78.jpeg

“Everything but the kitchen sink” fried rice. 

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

On 11/7/2018 at 6:50 PM, Anna N said:

Just to give you the full picture on the elusive “knori”, I went again yesterday.

Today pickles (as mentioned yesterday) and fried chicken as starter.

E1997138-8C9D-4237-9BD7-0C66EDC3BBA8.thumb.jpeg.25afb8e3f640ad780696566ead29c1bf.jpeg

AC51B7BA-625F-4D59-9051-0FC028C318F3.thumb.jpeg.274a4e462cface7c557d6eba1e14a637.jpeg

The “knori” picture is the seasonal speciality menu, featuring “Yokohama-inspired” Hakata ramen. In their view that’s adding a giant piece of braised and seared pork belly as well as blanched cabbage. The tonkotsu stock is double concentrated.

D1FAF2FC-8914-441B-93D9-101E72261430.thumb.jpeg.576d2765fbe5d3c2ac63afab460eb1c4.jpeg

I know you would ask how it co pared to the original so I just took the plunge: it’s very good. The double tonkotsu stock is outstanding and makes your lips stick with gelatine. The belly in one half inch chunk, sweet from the braising liquid and smoke from a hard sear. I might need to go back today ...

6ABB7ECC-AFF5-4168-9929-9E986E9E45C9.thumb.jpeg.27f29609f3042f20fcbefb364b1e05b1.jpegB6B02294-47A3-4ECB-87D3-E5E630FA8D13.thumb.jpeg.10dad0a4fa2327781238e0822f3507ee.jpeg

Out of topic: On the way back I found a perfect xmas gift for

my sister: sushi socks ...

5562E3CA-A6A4-4A47-9E63-BC6659DEE836.thumb.jpeg.9afccb565c92f6999d54582fb4420d39.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, Duvel said:

Just to give you the full picture on the elusive “knori”, I went again yesterday.

You have no idea how jealous I am. I truly appreciate your explanation of everything and now that I see the menu it looks very much like a package of nori.  I suppose if one could read the language…

Knorr has not yet taken up harvesting seaweed as far as I know.  Our communication devices seem determined to interfere as much is possible with our ability to communicate.

Thanks again for your patience.

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

19 minutes ago, Anna N said:

You have no idea how jealous I am. I truly appreciate your explanation of everything and now that I see the menu it looks very much like a package of nori.  I suppose if one could read the language…

Knorr has not yet taken up harvesting seaweed as far as I know.  Our communication devices seem determined to interfere as much is possible with our ability to communicate.

Thanks again for your patience.

Hahaha ... you think too much of me. No patience, no explanations - truth to be told: I was simply looking for an excuse to go again. And in that light - coming today again, three days in a row, the server greeted me with a smile and said “welcome back, sir” 🙄

2DFAA6E9-6CBA-4BA9-A70E-3A6E06799042.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

There's a branch of Ippudo in NYC - I loved their tonkotsu ramen, and the texture of their noodles, which rare for NY, they made in-house.  They always have a long wait.  I only go there once in a very long while now - by my cardiologist's demand!

• Like 3

After a really horrible morning of appointments that took three times as long as I had expected I arrived home tired and very hungry.

EE004013-A6F8-4A2D-A574-6EE3B6A72B27.thumb.jpeg.2f6743b4a4f79279cca498309104b955.jpeg

When that happens I am grateful for the canned products that I often shun. 

Campbell’s cream of mushroom soup  and a spam and kimchi musubi. 

• Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog