• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (2018)

BonVivant

Finally made it down to Chinatown to get some specialty ingredients and stopped off for lunch. 

20181014_132135.thumb.jpg.4307d6cc1dab0623203af70de9c3d59a.jpg

This place is known for their hand pulled noodles and their dumplings. The dumplings were so good that I got a bag of them to take home.

• Like 9

3 hours ago, KennethT said:

Finally made it down to Chinatown to get some specialty ingredients and stopped off for lunch. 

20181014_132135.thumb.jpg.4307d6cc1dab0623203af70de9c3d59a.jpg

This place is known for their hand pulled noodles and their dumplings. The dumplings were so good that I got a bag of them to take home.

Where did you go? 

14 minutes ago, MetsFan5 said:

Where did you go? 

Lan Zhou Hand Pulled Noodles and Dumpling.  They're on Bowery about a block south of Canal.  They used to be on East Broadway in a much smaller space, but have moved maybe a year ago to the current location.  There's a window in the back of the dining room where you can watch the guy pulling a huge skein of noodles... didn't get a photo of it though.  The dumplings are amazing, and the noodles had great texture, but I thought the broth was under seasoned - but that's easily rectified by the jar of homemade chili oil, and bottles of black vinegar and soy sauce on each table...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I was so taken by the freshness, size and price (75 cents each) of the local (Noank, CT) oysters I bought for dinner yesterday, that I made another trip to my go-to fish market this morning. They had gotten a fresh delivery and I was able to choose from an excellent collection buried in the ice today. These were bigger and fresher still! Noank Blue Points and Dogs and Boats makes the sun shine, in spite of this cold and rainy day. I even got out the ice shaver and put them on a bed of the stuff.

HCIMG_2403.thumb.JPG.f5a397a0960b00cd69f31f05abfbbd47.JPGIMG_2406.thumb.JPG.1dc85efb833bc7bac365712373bf03e4.JPGIMG_2401.thumb.JPG.a312950ee6043170e3d6697ef96fb920.JPG

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 7
  • Delicious 1

Swung through Dairy Queen about 2 p.m. because I'd missed lunch and had to go to the grocery, and knew I'd buy entirely too much if I went while hungry and DQ was on the way. Five-buck lunch deal, DQ cheeseburger, fries, regular drink and a little baby sundae. 

Good value, but a bad choice. Burger was devoid of any seasoning other than the smoke; needed salt badly. Fries were greasy. Sundae was good!

• Sad 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

At my guest house.

bcNbGH6.jpg

f7ZvwCv.jpg

aTwAyS0.jpg

UyPjBCj.jpg

In a village on the other side of the island later.

Boneless trotter, with toes.

i030yz6.jpg

9apsxGU.jpg

So far the best Yonagunian soba soups I've had. The tiny noodle shop has 3 kinds and I pointed at these 2. Very pleased with what I got. You can use any noodle but if the broth is worthless then there's really no point. There's a prawn farm in the village just down the road. zgLITr5.jpg

jZBki2n.jpg

• Like 8

The last of my latest batch of oysters. These local oysters are beauties and fresh as can be. At 75 cents each, I'll be back for more tomorrow. I would have gone today, but I am stuck here, waiting for a firewood delivery.

HC

IMG_2450.thumb.JPG.f4c00d1dbfd2a407fd5351161d258e61.JPGIMG_2449.thumb.JPG.84dd08a357f3eb92390f9b5d0caddc74.JPGIMG_2451.thumb.JPG.86f711f21bf3f9f591f3f8c1be72a85c.JPG

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 5
  • Delicious 1

First thing I saw when leaving Naha airport. Didn't know what it was until I went to the supermarket a few hours later. Very much my thing!

cuIm1nV.jpg

Portion for one person.

irw9Zwl.jpg

VdME8A6.jpg

umqLOJK.jpg

Looks like Chinese version but tastes better (to me). Not really salty, a lot like cheese drenched in Okinawan distilled rice liquor. Very nice!

muALiRP.jpg

tYcVgHS.jpg

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1

11 hours ago, BonVivant said:

First thing I saw when leaving Naha airport. Didn't know what it was until I went to the supermarket a few hours later. Very much my thing!

cuIm1nV.jpg

Portion for one person.

irw9Zwl.jpg

VdME8A6.jpg

umqLOJK.jpg

Looks like Chinese version but tastes better (to me). Not really salty, a lot like cheese drenched in Okinawan distilled rice liquor. Very nice!

muALiRP.jpg

tYcVgHS.jpg

Mentaiko! Aka spicy cod roe (sometimes pollack). Actually the food of Kyūshū, where I am hiking at the moment - it fits literally to everything...

C4B3281C-1B5A-47CA-9594-2FBCDCF986F0.jpeg

0D4F1F65-4B16-4103-AA7F-56A1EC44A8EC.jpeg

9F8DEDD0-7A36-49B4-9C52-5F49D47CC8CE.jpeg

• Like 8

2 hours ago, HungryChris said:

I had almost no green tomatoes left at the end of this season, but my friend, Vinny, at Lake View Farms hooked me up today. Bacon, lettuce and fried green tomatoes on snowflake rolls.

HC

IMG_2492.thumb.JPG.99d37f93c07dc320b6ca875b00346cbd.JPGIMG_2493.thumb.JPG.0783ac606969c891ef72762d130616ba.JPG

Now, if you would add a healthy sized schmear of pimiento cheese spread with that, you would truly have the food of the gods.

• Like 2
  • Delicious 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

16 minutes ago, kayb said:

Now, if you would add a healthy sized schmear of pimiento cheese spread with that, you would truly have the food of the gods.

@kayb, I still have not tried that recipe you were kind enough to provide. I have an aversion to the Velveeta concept, but have to travel a bit to be able to buy a block of American cheese. Trust me, I will get there.

HC

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HungryChris said:

@kayb, I still have not tried that recipe you were kind enough to provide. I have an aversion to the Velveeta concept, but have to travel a bit to be able to buy a block of American cheese. Trust me, I will get there.

HC

Be advised: It can be addicting.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

Today's lunch was the Burrata with Lentils with & Basil Oil from Russell Norman's Polpo made with some of the black lentils from my recent Rancho Gordo Bean Club shipment.

IMG_9327.thumb.jpg.2442f4182275e72980462572e21e7221.jpg

On the side are pieces of the Zucchino, Mint and Chilli Pizzetta from the same book.  
This is a warm lentil and vegetable salad dressed with a mustard vinaigrette and topped with burrata and the basil oil.  Smitten Kitchen made a streamlined version, combining the basil into the dressing.  Link here.

• Like 6

20181024_133925.thumb.jpg.ca1a1f85f06d8961eb26c4b713aeb204.jpg

This was the biggest pork chop I have ever seen. It looked like a porterhouse. About an inch thick, close to six inches across at its widest point.  Must have been 14 ounces. With blackened peas (just ok), mashed potatoes, and fruit salad. I scraped most of the breading g off.

• Like 6

Don't ask. Eat it.

The highest quality of dried bonito is from Okinawa, where it is also most consumed.

aKHrEQ7.jpg

X3H1Eex.jpg

xSTLPDL.jpg

Japanese philosophy: Let little seem like much, so long as it's fresh and natural. I shall add "and beautifully presented".

aaeZU41.jpg

Later somewhere else, the only place that's open on a sunday.

BSfRNQ6.jpg

wVVqsfu.jpg

• Like 6