• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (2018)

BonVivant

I just finished a Philly Cheese Steak sub and bacon cheese fries delivered by my local pizza joint, Primo Pizza. Because I could for the first time in a several days. I also ordered up their eggplant parm with spaghetti and marinara and hot chicken wings. This will all be eaten over the course of about the next three days. 

I was lying awake looking out through the window at blue skies for the first time in nearly a week and watching a gazillion birds through my newly Mother Nature-pruned trees. I could not sleep and was hungry, so it dawned on me, why not order some really good food?

I should be able to get some sleep now. I feel myself slipping into food coma mode. :)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

> ^ . . ^ <

23 hours ago, Anna N said:

The last of the can of Spam. For four dollars and a few cents I had hours of fun, learned a few things and enjoyed one breakfast and two lunches.  Doesn’t get much better than that.  Here it is fried and glazed with teriyaki sauce before being served over rice and some Japanese style grilled corn (dressed with soy sauce, mirin and sugar). In the centre is some leftover braised bok choy from yesterday. 

...and you can buy individual slices of Spam for about .88 USD.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

1 hour ago, Katie Meadow said:

Anna you are a genius. BLT Onigiri!

Thanks!   Not really a genius. I got the idea from the Internet although that BLT was bacon lettuce and tomago (egg).  I really like these things and you can fill them with pretty much what ever you want. It’s a learning curve though to make sure you don’t overfill them.  

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

10 minutes ago, suzilightning said:

...and you can buy individual slices of Spam for about .88 USD.

You can?   I have never seen such a thing in my neck of the woods but I wouldn’t doubt they exist!  

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

On ‎9‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 2:18 PM, Anna N said:

E53E74BC-563F-4641-AD06-0F2ED2BEAF36.thumb.jpeg.11adfffc04b649d156c244ab1d0e7c00.jpeg

I can't remember if I have ever bought spam, yet I have , for some reason, a recollection of what it tastes like. Looking at that picture makes me want to make kimchi fried rice with a bit of spam.

HC

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, HungryChris said:

I can't remember if I have ever bought spam, yet I have , for some reason, a recollection of what it tastes like. Looking at that picture makes me want to make kimchi fried rice with a bit of spam.

HC

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

Uh oh. Now I want to put Spam in that crispy kimchi & cheddar omelet!

I am beginning to worry. I don’t want to start that kind of a trend.😦   But it beats “clean eating” by quite a bit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

My 2004 eG Blog

Birthday lunch in town today for a friend's 68th.  She likes to go there since you get the percentage of your birthday off your meal...in her case 68%.

She had the halibut, one had the Cuban, one the French dip sandwich, I had the pork chop sandwich which is a thing around here.  Good food and a fun atmosphere.

• Like 2

After a 4 and 1/2 hour train ride from Rapallo to Rome, we were ready for lunch and found a little place on a tiny side street that showed promise. Deb had spaghetti carbonara and I had Tagliatelle ai funghi porcini. I have a weakness for bruschetta al pomodoro, and will usually try it if I see it on the menu. This was an excellent one made so by the combination of ripe tomatoes, fine olive oil, a truly great toasted crusted bread and sea salt.

DSC01878.thumb.JPG.67e1a5a135aabb440cdeb4741f681eb4.JPG

DSC01881.thumb.JPG.4f0ee0c0253cd9abaebf52da1d3b131e.JPGDSC01880.thumb.JPG.57c87c30349b7513d24f0b15f1b37867.JPG

Deb's dish was made the way it should be (without cream) and tasted great. Here is the view of this little restaurant from our outdoor seating.

DSC01882.thumb.JPG.3fb41d8db7ee00ff8c4a70271fd32d1c.JPG

A little background on my mushroom dish:

I spent days looking for some good looking porcinis, which I normally get by making it to market day, as early as possible, in Greve (Saturdays in the main square). The good porcinis disappear very quickly. Because the Chianti Wine Festival was in the square, this past Saturday, the market was a much smaller event and the porcini guy was conspicuous by his absence. It was not until our last day in Rapallo, that I spotted these in the nearby town of Santa Margheriti.

P9180409.thumb.JPG.7c6a960dd2e59b6307ab2afca26e3db3.JPG  

And right next door this beautiful fig tart

P9180407.thumb.JPG.95931664516207ad981c266509c87689.JPG

Because we had already cleaned out the apartment fridge and emptied the trash, there would be no cooking or eating in the apartment we would be leaving early the next morning, I took these photos and walked away, heartbroken.

But back to the porcini dish above. This was far and away the best porcini dish I had had this entire trip, with large wonderful slices of the unmistakably fresh funghi.

I was so taken by the flavor, that as soon as I got back to our hotel in Rome, I went online and ordered a pound of dried porcini from Nuts.com to be sure it would be there shortly after we returned home.

HC

• Like 12

52 minutes ago, HungryChris said:

I spent days looking for some good looking porcinis, which I normally get by making it to market day, as early as possible, in Greve (Saturdays in the main square). The good porcinis disappear very quickly. Because the Chianti Wine Festival was in the square, this past Saturday, the market was a much smaller event and the porcini guy was conspicuous by his absence. It was not until our last day in Rapallo, that I spotted these in the nearby town of Santa Margheriti.

P9180409.thumb.JPG.7c6a960dd2e59b6307ab2afca26e3db3.JPG  

Because we had already cleaned out the apartment fridge and emptied the trash, there would be no cooking or eating in the apartment we would be leaving early the next morning, I took these photos and walked away, heartbroken.

But back to the porcini dish above. This was far and away the best porcini dish I had had this entire trip, with large wonderful slices of the unmistakably fresh funghi.

I was so taken by the flavor, that as soon as I got back to our hotel in Rome, I went online and ordered a pound of dried porcini from Nuts.com to be sure it would be there shortly after we returned home.

HC

As much as I love nuts.com (a shipment arriving in a few hours), try porcini from parmashop.com...

https://www.parmashop.com/english/gourmet/valtaro-porcini-mushrooms-and-other-parma-delights/valtaro-porcini-special-g-dried-mushrooms.html

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

EFE03FF9-0E9A-4E3C-8E30-B73FB34CD50F.thumb.jpeg.34503039ec2587aaae1706147e0bb508.jpeg

Green beans with miso dressing, canned herring in tomato sauce, spicy bean sprout salad and cherry tomato miso soup.  Should have had some rice but getting a multi-dish Japanese meal together is challenging enough at the moment.  😊

• Like 10

My 2004 eG Blog

Emergency pizza with leftovers: AP flour, yoghurt, salt and baking powder, 5 min with hand mixer, shaped and thrown into a screaming hot pan, about 1-1.5 min per side. Topped with whatever was in the fridge (in this case bacon/sweet corn for one, cooked chicken and onion, augmented with gyros spice, for the other one). Gratinated under a hot grill. 

The little one was happy, albeit confused (Pizza night is Sunday) ... and I am content to be able to make eatable pizzas in less than 20 min 😋

DAF06238-F525-4D11-B14E-65E5D5C707C6.jpeg

3A2CC064-CB8B-47E8-B1B2-824F6C1F61F6.jpeg

A63126F1-C3D5-44CF-ACE8-C1DC94EE7040.jpeg

0C72D54D-91A3-4272-9E95-D1C7FB15233E.jpeg

06B47E39-C594-4653-8BAD-9987D58734B3.jpeg

DF58CC95-F87F-49F6-9323-623A5B670B28.jpeg

33461364-3E45-4DD4-8CEE-43857EE60C40.jpeg

• Like 11

16 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Emergency pizza with leftovers: AP flour, yoghurt, salt and baking powder, 5 min with hand mixer, shaped and thrown into a screaming hot pan, about 1-1.5 min per side. Topped with whatever was in the fridge (in this case bacon/sweet corn for one, cooked chicken and onion, augmented with gyros spice, for the other one). Gratinated under a hot grill. 

The little one was happy, albeit confused (Pizza night is Sunday) ... and I am content to be able to make eatable pizzas in less than 20 min 😋

A63126F1-C3D5-44CF-ACE8-C1DC94EE7040.jpeg

What's that that looks like corn?

On ‎9‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 4:11 AM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

As much as I love nuts.com (a shipment arriving in a few hours), try porcini from parmashop.com...

https://www.parmashop.com/english/gourmet/valtaro-porcini-mushrooms-and-other-parma-delights/valtaro-porcini-special-g-dried-mushrooms.html

I have never bought dried porcini from nuts.com before, but they do so well with everything else, it seemed a good place to start. I look foreword to checking it out, but am always open to a new and great supplier, and will check them out too! Thanks.

HC 

33 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

What's that that looks like corn?

Something called sweet corn. A frequent staple in our fridge and the major difference of the little one eats half a slice of pizza (w/o) or two and a half (w/). 

5 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Something called sweet corn. A frequent staple in our fridge and the major difference of the little one eats half a slice of pizza (w/o) or two and a half (w/). 

Two more slices for you or @liuzhou

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Duvel said:

Emergency pizza with leftovers: 

I think we need some quantities here at least for the crust.  I have never aspired to make an “authentic” Neapolitan pizza.   I have often aspired to make an authentic 20 minutes pizza.

My 2004 eG Blog