• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (2018)

BonVivant

@Anna N

nice

nothing wrong w SPAM

esp in the pacific area

didn't know it made it Keenly to Japan , 

but after WW 

makes sense 

the issues are the massive salt content

Id consider the next time you look into this

if you chose to

is to cut the slices as you might like them

then soak them in ice cold water for a bit

20 - 30 min ?

a great deal of the salt would be gone

and you might be able to taste the

actual Essence of SPAM

not so the salt

which you have for yourself 

on you very table or in your Ktichen

just in case.

Still lots of veggies at the Farmers' Market, so lunch was veggie-centric today. Corn (from the freezer, and I very nearly scorched it, but the browned bits ARE tasty!), green beans with ham that had been vac-packed and frozen since Easter; and eggplant casserole, along with cornbread. I am coming closer and closer to nailing the eggplant casserole recipe from one of my favorite restaurants, The Cupboard in Memphis, where I've been eating since 1977 and have yet to try an entree or a sandwich; that's 40 years of vegetable plates. 

A classic case of "it ain't broke, so don't fix it."

1572015682_veggies0916.thumb.jpg.cbf05ede41e0df63a66ee23b3e917fae.jpg

• Like 7

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

2 hours ago, rotuts said:

@Anna N

nice

nothing wrong w SPAM

esp in the pacific area

didn't know it made it Keenly to Japan , 

but after WW 

makes sense 

the issues are the massive salt content

Id consider the next time you look into this

if you chose to

is to cut the slices as you might like them

then soak them in ice cold water for a bit

20 - 30 min ?

a great deal of the salt would be gone

and you might be able to taste the

actual Essence of SPAM

not so the salt

which you have for yourself 

on you very table or in your Ktichen

just in case.

Thanks. If I were going to eat this more than once in a blue moon the salt content might concern me. As it is, I likely will finish this can and feel no great need to do it again until the next blue moon.   But do stay tuned. I’ve only used two quarter-inch slices so far!😊

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

you can actually taste SPAM

when it  has less salt.

and it does taste like Ham !    desalt.  dry   sauté each side until crispy

have it for breakfast that way w an egg or two of your choice !

nice w pineapple 

9 hours ago, kayb said:

<snip>... eggplant casserole, along with cornbread. I am coming closer and closer to nailing the eggplant casserole recipe from one of my favorite restaurants, The Cupboard in Memphis,...<snip>

Please tell more about the eggplant casserole: both what it's like at The Cupboard -- your target, as it were -- and what you've done to reproduce it. I like eggplant and am always on the lookout for good things to do with it. Especially if they're easy.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

E53E74BC-563F-4641-AD06-0F2ED2BEAF36.thumb.jpeg.11adfffc04b649d156c244ab1d0e7c00.jpeg

The last of the can of Spam. For four dollars and a few cents I had hours of fun, learned a few things and enjoyed one breakfast and two lunches.  Doesn’t get much better than that.  Here it is fried and glazed with teriyaki sauce before being served over rice and some Japanese style grilled corn (dressed with soy sauce, mirin and sugar). In the centre is some leftover braised bok choy from yesterday. 

• Like 10

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

@Anna N  It has been eons but I once used Spam successfully while at a vacation rental with hungry males. The stovetop was iffy and the oven a joke so the BBQ grill was my cooking area. I picked up a can and sliced and grilled it for breakfast. It rendered fat and got nicely sorta crispy on the edges. Now I am almost thinking of picking up a can. They have low salt and other versions now! 

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, heidih said:

@Anna N  It has been eons but I once used Spam successfully while at a vacation rental with hungry males. The stovetop was iffy and the oven a joke so the BBQ grill was my cooking area. I picked up a can and sliced and grilled it for breakfast. It rendered fat and got nicely sorta crispy on the edges. Now I am almost thinking of picking up a can. They have low salt and other versions now! 

Ok, true confessions, then.  I'm emboldened to mention that I grew up eating canned corned beef.  My mom would slice it and fry in butter to serve with eggs and fried potatoes.  I don't do it very much any more, but served with copious ice water, I quite like it still.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Smithy said:

Please tell more about the eggplant casserole: both what it's like at The Cupboard -- your target, as it were -- and what you've done to reproduce it. I like eggplant and am always on the lookout for good things to do with it. Especially if they're easy.

The casserole doesn't have a strong eggplant taste, but then, eggplant doesn't have a strong eggplant taste. I knew it had cracker crumbs and cheese, and made an educuated guess as to milk. It has a buttery flavor, too, and a crumb-and-cheese topping.

In yesterday's iteration, I roasted five small-medium globe eggplants for 40 minutes at 400F in the CSO on steam-bake. Let them cool, halved them and scooped out the flesh; it made about 2 1/2 cups when lightly mashed up. Stirred in two beaten eggs, about four ounces of grated co-jack cheese,  a quarter-cup or so of half and half, and about 2/3 of a sleeve of Ritz crackers, crushed into crumbs. Stirred that up and smoothed it out in a deep-dish pie plate. Topping was the rest of the sleeve of crushed Ritz, and about another 2 ounces of grated cheese. Baked at 350, steam bake, 30 minutes in the CSO.

It was close. Real close. Could have been a little saltier; I didn't salt, as both the cheese and the crackers are fairly salty. I might use grated Velveeta next time, and I think the topping would benefit from grated Parm. There was too much topping; I needed about half as much. I might add some melted butter next time. And it would have benefitted from some black pepper. Other than that, it was pretty much spot on.

Thd other eggplant treatment I really love  is to take cubes of eggplant, toss them in a mixture of honey and miso, and roast them. Yumm-O!

Edited by kayb (log)
  • Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

20 minutes ago, kayb said:

The casserole doesn't have a strong eggplant taste, but then, eggplant doesn't have a strong eggplant taste. I knew it had cracker crumbs and cheese, and made an educuated guess as to milk. It has a buttery flavor, too, and a crumb-and-cheese topping.

In yesterday's iteration, I roasted five small-medium globe eggplants for 40 minutes at 400F in the CSO on steam-bake. Let them cool, halved them and scooped out the flesh; it made about 2 1/2 cups when lightly mashed up. Stirred in two beaten eggs, about four ounces of grated co-jack cheese,  a quarter-cup or so of half and half, and about 2/3 of a sleeve of Ritz crackers, crushed into crumbs. Stirred that up and smoothed it out in a deep-dish pie plate. Topping was the rest of the sleeve of crushed Ritz, and about another 2 ounces of grated cheese. Baked at 350, steam bake, 30 minutes in the CSO.

It was close. Real close. Could have been a little saltier; I didn't salt, as both the cheese and the crackers are fairly salty. I might use grated Velveeta next time, and I think the topping would benefit from grated Parm. There was too much topping; I needed about half as much. I might add some melted butter next time. And it would have benefitted from some black pepper. Other than that, it was pretty much spot on.

Thd other eggplant treatment I really love  is to take cubes of eggplant, toss them in a mixture of honey and miso, and roast them. Yumm-O!

We MIGHT like it.  We are not fans of eggplant.  But I think it is more the texture than the flavor (as everyone says, it doesn't have much of that).  Wish we could get back to the Cupboard!  We loved that place!

2 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Ok, true confessions, then.  I'm emboldened to mention that I grew up eating canned corned beef.  My mom would slice it and fry in butter to serve with eggs and fried potatoes.  I don't do it very much any more, but served with copious ice water, I quite like it still.

Yup, me too.

The version of corned beef hash I grew up with was that fried with onions and leftover mashed potatoes. I still make it up every now and again, when I'm feeling nostalgic. That, or a fried-bologna sandwich.

• Like 4

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

32 minutes ago, chromedome said:

Yup, me too.

The version of corned beef hash I grew up with was that fried with onions and leftover mashed potatoes. I still make it up every now and again, when I'm feeling nostalgic. That, or a fried-bologna sandwich.

I love fried bologna!  We had a fried bologna sandwich in Memphis that I swear is THE food I think about most often since.  And we had some awesome food in Memphis.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, chromedome said:

That, or a fried-bologna sandwich.

Eh, you're from Canada where bologna is the breakfast meat of choice - as I learned!😀

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

In Atlantic Canada it's certainly popular, and especially in Newfoundland. Locally it's referred to as "Newfie steak." :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

11 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Ok, true confessions, then.  I'm emboldened to mention that I grew up eating canned corned beef.  

I also grew up on canned corned beef and when I was presented with the other kind I was quite put off for a long time.

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

11 hours ago, Shelby said:

@Anna N  You make Spam look incredibly delicious.  I have added it to my grocery list.

I am usually quite proud when someone here tells me they have been influenced to do something by me. On this occasion……  not so much🙁. But on occasion it probably doesn’t do too much harm. It certainly kept many people fed through some pretty rough times. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Re: fried bologna. A slab of fried bologna, nearly charred around the edges, on two pieces of of mustard-slathered Wonder bread (or Sunbeam), with dill pickle chips and a slice of American cheese? Food of the gods.

A thick slab of bologna on the grill, painted with a thin coat of barbecue sauce, ain't half bad, either.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

@kayb

Im all over your suggestion 

Id skip any sort of cheese.

you got the bread right,  but it has to be very very fresh.

I saw a show doe time ago

where they took an entire bologna  peeled off the  " membrane "  i.e. plastic or so

then put the BigBoy   ( yes , bologna is a boy )

on a Webber  w the rotisserie attachment

and let it roll and roll and roll  at just the right temp.

then

the Firemen , of course

took it off , well cooked , possibly for the last time-tranche 

on a higher heat   for a bit of char

I think some FD's foo this all the time

that being said

can you imagine how Spectacular this sort of thing might be with

God's Bologna  : ie  American Mortadella

it has to be American , as A.M. does not have pistachios 

just saying

1 hour ago, kayb said:

Re: fried bologna. A slab of fried bologna, nearly charred around the edges, on two pieces of of mustard-slathered Wonder bread (or Sunbeam), with dill pickle chips and a slice of American cheese? Food of the gods.

A thick slab of bologna on the grill, painted with a thin coat of barbecue sauce, ain't half bad, either.

The BBQ bologna at Cozy Corner is the one that still haunts me.  

351A13F8-F65A-4CB1-8CD9-F1F96DEDC26E.thumb.jpeg.98d5dae6acea8cc7556b58fd528e3f47.jpeg

Japanese BLT.

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 1

My 2004 eG Blog