• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (2018)

BonVivant

6 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Anticipating a large dinner tonight, I kept lunch simple. The chips were not good - the potato had a strange texture. Not sure why. Omelette was fine.

omelette.thumb.jpg.d8fa49ac138587cce9a38b836288ccfc.jpg

Plain 2-egg omelette and chips.

Thanks for the idea.  My dinner may be an omelet.

• Like 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Thanks for the idea.  My dinner may be an omelet.

It wasn't.  As much as I wanted I couldn't summon the energy.  Dinner was a can of Progresso soup.  Good it was too.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Lunch a delivered by my Beau and I decided to go for my Biennial 'Lets Give a Steak Sanga Another Chance'. 

This was NOT the game changer. 

Chippys were quite good though. 

'Prime' Rump Steak, Onion, Lettuce, Cheese, Carrot, Beetroot - Tomato and Cucumber (discarded) No Sauce. 

20180823_124213.jpg

• Like 7

47 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

Mussels and frites a la Bourdain

I'm having a little trouble with the whole concept of mussels and French fries, but y'all invented poutine up there so who knows. Yes, yes, I know that poutine is a Québécois thing but you are supposed to be adult supervision out there in BC. *grin*

sail fast and eat well, dave

Dave Skolnick S/V Auspicious

http://AuspiciousWorks.com

14 minutes ago, Auspicious said:

I'm having a little trouble with the whole concept of mussels and French fries, but y'all invented poutine up there so who knows. Yes, yes, I know that poutine is a Québécois thing but you are supposed to be adult supervision out there in BC. *grin*

Better not come to continental Europe then ...

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2811918F-AD3B-4289-BBEB-E6CF845AB730.thumb.jpeg.8ad4208473dfb4c93a946950742f4ae9.jpeg

Miso-marinated grilled skirt steak, rice, tomatoes and snow peas.

• Like 9

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

@Anna N

Yikes !

and Im going to have something Fz from Trader Joe's !

tasty

for my dinner

but not neat what what I see above

I did have to do some Acute Personal Hydration Therapy 

this AM

I had a Verizon FiOS  '' OutAge '

ie no internet

for a few hours.

long story short

a learning lesson for me 

and MC , but he is only interested in

his 1/4 can of Frissies Fish Pate 

in the AM

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

2811918F-AD3B-4289-BBEB-E6CF845AB730.thumb.jpeg.8ad4208473dfb4c93a946950742f4ae9.jpeg

Miso-marinated grilled skirt steak, rice, tomatoes and snow peas.

Anna,

It looks like it tastes wonderful. I like the rice form - what dd you use?

I might have fanned the peas, fanned the tomatoes on top, and fanned the skirt steak next to them. Even if I'm cooking just for myself I get fussy. We all have our oddities. My wife wants everything in serving dishes. I go from cookware to a presentation plating. To each their own.

I envy you the tomatoes and peas - we aren't seeing anything that looks that good down here.

Edited by Auspicious
typo (log)

sail fast and eat well, dave

Dave Skolnick S/V Auspicious

http://AuspiciousWorks.com

I bought some carrots this morning that were 1/3 root and 2/3 greens. I didn't want to waste the tops so I made a carrot top and pistachio pesto, and I've reserved the stems for stock.

For lunch, I made a small pesto and potato frittata, along with some toasted store-bought sourdough.

IMG_4973.thumb.jpg.982df08b3e97e57d97832f1ac357ebf4.jpg

There's still plenty of pesto left over . I'll be working my way through it for a while.

IMG_4952.thumb.jpg.855f4aa6e64570bcda4a711f8ce1b736.jpg

Edited by chord (log)
  • Like 7

Pasta casserole, with some cream, mozzarella, tomatoes, lots of basil and garlic, some chili. All Just mixed together and baked until crisp. 

I like making batch of this mix and baking portions of it over a few days. It gets better as the mixture sits in the fridge and the garlic and basil infuses the fats.

IMG_20180818_135103.thumb.jpg.110bb2ba6a5bfbb235822b811eb48885.jpg

• Like 4

~ Shai N.

@Shelby

Nice.

didn't know you had locally grown prosciutto

suprise.gif.e3c64579bfc07bf25e9356aed5412743.gif

Heee   Heee

do you have locally grown Galia Melon

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galia_melon

if you can grow this

to ripemess

you might really really enjoy this w your Local P.

as far as I remember

its a cross between honeydew and cantaloupe

to die for when ripe.

54 minutes ago, chord said:

I bought some carrots this morning that were 1/3 root and 2/3 greens. I didn't want to waste the tops so I made a carrot top and pistachio pesto, and I've reserved the stems for stock.

For lunch, I made a small pesto and potato frittata, along with some toasted store-bought sourdough.

IMG_4973.thumb.jpg.982df08b3e97e57d97832f1ac357ebf4.jpg

There's still plenty of pesto left over . I'll be working my way through it for a while.

IMG_4952.thumb.jpg.855f4aa6e64570bcda4a711f8ce1b736.jpg

This looks wonderful.   You should add your pesto picture to the What Are You Preserving thread :) 

37 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Shelby

Nice.

didn't know you had locally grown prosciutto

suprise.gif.e3c64579bfc07bf25e9356aed5412743.gif

Heee   Heee

do you have locally grown Galia Melon

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galia_melon

if you can grow this

to ripemess

you might really really enjoy this w your Local P.

as far as I remember

its a cross between honeydew and cantaloupe

to die for when ripe.

LOL!

I really wanted a Rock Ford Colorado cantaloupe.  Those are the absolute best IMO.  I will have to see about the Galia--I don't think I've ever heard of them and I love honeydew.

The prosciutto is thinly sliced country ham ;) :) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

B90141BD-D96D-4C23-AB2C-F121B599D75B.thumb.jpeg.55fc364c1cb8c4291585e5ee2cc414d5.jpeg

Chaliapin steak and tomato salad. The steak is said to have been developed by the chef of the Imperial Hotel in Tokyo. In 1936 the Russian opera star was visiting Japan and is said to have asked for an extremely tender steak that he could eat while suffering a toothache.   Truth or fiction the steak was very tasty.  Here’s

one version. 

The tomato was a gift and I wanted to make something special of it.  

@Shelby— I suspect you might enjoy this treatment of a PEELED tomato. 

• Like 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

52 minutes ago, Anna N said:

B90141BD-D96D-4C23-AB2C-F121B599D75B.thumb.jpeg.55fc364c1cb8c4291585e5ee2cc414d5.jpeg

Chaliapin steak and tomato salad. The steak is said to have been developed by the chef of the Imperial Hotel in Tokyo. In 1936 the Russian opera star was visiting Japan and is said to have asked for an extremely tender steak that he could eat while suffering a toothache.   Truth or fiction the steak was very tasty.  Here’s

one version. 

The tomato was a gift and I wanted to make something special of it.  

@Shelby— I suspect you might enjoy this treatment of a PEELED tomato. 

Thank you!!!!  Definitely trying this....might be tonight, in fact, if I can ever get these jalapeños canned....

****brings a tear to my eye when someone embraces the nude tomato****

• Haha 2