• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (2018)

BonVivant

5645D19C-E2C5-404D-B9EE-158C79D139A3.thumb.jpeg.156f3399aa56d838a93e9de25434806e.jpeg

Pork shogayaki (ginger pork). 

• Like 7

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

7 hours ago, KennethT said:

@liuzhou does your friend make the jaozi from scratch or purchased?  I am always curious as to what people do at home versus restaurant culture...

The ones shown were home made. People generally make them at home, although they may sometimes use wrappers bought in the local market.

Assembling the jiaozi becomes a sort of group activity with everyone joining in. Even the youngest kids can form a neat jiaozi.

The stuffing can be pretty much anything from a simple pork and cabbage to a more complicated mix like the one below. I tend to do pork, shrimp and mushroom stuffings - a classic mix.

1970812954_jiaozistuffing.thumb.jpg.cb744e8db186abbd24f34b9869168800.jpg

jiaozi.thumb.jpg.4996d867df1f9fdd807a6d232e90e36c.jpg

685029210_jiaozianddips.thumb.jpg.1a44c873effb8869b7c0bfacdb359cdf.jpg

dips.thumb.jpg.bcd9bc10ec05b5553d4e5d294e65bd43.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

AF6B88D9-B19C-44DD-BD95-195F8AC95F51.thumb.jpeg.808b3e6e564190ceeaf8da0352ae4796.jpeg

Soy sauce egg. Quality control. Needs longer in the marinade. Still tasty though. 

• Like 11

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

15 minutes ago, scubadoo97 said:

Those yolks look amazing

Thanks. And believe it or not they are just supermarket eggs. 

Edited by Anna N (log)

My 2004 eG Blog

Just now, scubadoo97 said:

Method?   Just SV?

Nope.  Much more traditional. Straight from the fridge, boiled for exactly 6 minutes and 30 seconds and then plunged into an ice bath.  Don’t know why these six came out so well. I think there is a lot more to consistency in egg cookery  than anyone is admitting to. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

On 8/8/2018 at 6:13 PM, Thanks for the Crepes said:

Around here, coleslaw is mostly shredded cabbage with bits of maybe shredded carrot, onion, and I make one with some apple chunks. Your slaw looks more like what we would call salad here? So can you describe Australian coleslaw, please?

Yes sorry, I wasn't very clear. Australian Slaw is much the same - cabbage, carrot, onion, lots of mayo, occasional sneaked addition of capsicum. In the case of my fish and chips it is simply hidden UNDER the last bit of fish and the salad - along with a whole pickled beetroot!  

I recently ate another sample of my bland curry in my mission to declutter the freezer. As I was tucking in my husband asked 'why are YOU eating that?' I shrugged and blamed the ton of food I'd managed to store and his not so subtle suggestion I deal with it. 

He said 'Yeah but that's the child safe curry you made to freeze for 'small dude' dinner emergencies in case you get slammed at work?' 

Mystery solved. Label... Label.... must Label. 

• Haha 4

FA13F3B6-1DD1-467F-9767-B69EA3A63C14.thumb.jpeg.1593e80dd7b7bc36abb7e5c715acd5f5.jpeg

Pork donburi with snow peas and beni shoga. Tomato salad with red onion and a soy and ginger dressing.

@Shelby:  the tomatoes are peeled!

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

Finally made the Caramelized Carrot Soup from MC

Used stem on carrots from our better local grocery store,  I ate a few bits while cutting it up, and they were really top end carrots so the soup was amazing.

20180818_121308.thumb.jpg.a8e64cf7f75f5e8fcba677fab1cb2f0a.jpg

Floating is tarragon, we also put in ginger and ajwain seeds, yummy!

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Raamo said:

Finally made the Caramelized Carrot Soup from MC

Used stem on carrots from our better local grocery store,  I ate a few bits while cutting it up, and they were really top end carrots so the soup was amazing.

20180818_121308.thumb.jpg.a8e64cf7f75f5e8fcba677fab1cb2f0a.jpg

Floating is tarragon, we also put in ginger and ajwain seeds, yummy!

I'd give my other thumb for that.  (The first thumb went for the last time I made the recipe.)

• Haha 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I'd give my other thumb for that.  (The first thumb went for the last time I made the recipe.)

Cored the carrots did ya?

• Haha 1

My 2004 eG Blog

5 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Cored the carrots did ya?

Not any more.

Seriously what I now do when I want cored carrots is to peel the carrots down to the core, keep the peelings and discard the core.  Much safer.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

More con-fusion food. After an OK insalata caprese for last night's dinner, I fancied another with lunch. (Mozzarella doesn't last long, after all.)

When I had it ready, I had a notion to add some drops of balsamic vinegar, but when I opened the vinegar cupboard door a bottle of Zhenjiang Vinegar ended up in my hand. (镇江醋 zhèn jiāng cù - what you may call Chinkiang, which is meaningless to  most Chinese.)

I wouldn't say that one is a  direct substitute for the other, but they have similarities, mainly colour, acidity and depth of flavour (albeit somewhat different). Anyway, it worked for me.

1030348300_zhenjiangcaprese2.thumb.jpg.6c23e21c507cf1ce768cb3826988a797.jpg

228500237_zhenjiangcaprese1.thumb.jpg.e9f2fb1a369cc2fb5aab3685445d8d90.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, MetsFan5 said:

@liuzhou that’s unlike any mozzarella I’ve ever seen. Can you tell us more about it? 

It looks like Brie or provolone in various stages. 

It's a locally produced mozzarella which is made into a rectangular block rather than the traditional ball shape in Italy. It is made from buffalo milk and tastes just the same as the Italian original. Certainly nothing like brie or provolone in either taste  or texture.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1

84CC89F8-84DB-49F9-A9D1-788B56F55F90.thumb.jpeg.40189661577a172e32a1d448cc00a4cb.jpeg

Too late for breakfast. Too early for lunch. Calling it brunch just seems wrong.

A bowl of rice topped with leftover yakitori chicken, some blanched snow peas and a drizzle of ponzu. 

• Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog