• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (2018)

BonVivant

Freshly made rice noodles* with pork tenderloin slices, garlic, baby bok choy, green and red chilli, rice wine and rice vinegar. Boiled duck egg.

Before adding broth to the bowl:

n2.thumb.jpg.383ca57da0c8d2c9db568ae7b729154c.jpg

and after:

n3.thumb.jpg.0b2bf46062b6458ca6672d50da576672.jpg

n4.thumb.jpg.0ae6b71d1cdca5f13b1b96f3b2af8bb3.jpg

* by my neighbour.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 8
  • Delicious 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

D876E4FF-E298-4363-B5A2-C441A0899581.thumb.jpeg.ce8723fc0e2e7820e06d25dc06872b21.jpeg

Japanese curry made with rotisserie chicken. I used an S&B brand “hot” curry roux that was an impulse buy.  This was my second attempt at using such a product. The previous time I really hated it. I believe I used a different brand and a different flavour.  This was quite  palatable and I can see why it would be a comfort food in Japan. 

• Like 6

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

5 minutes ago, heidih said:

@Anna N  Hhmmm that sure looks thin the sauce department from anytime I've ever made it with House or S & B brands. BUT if it tasted good = all good :)

Didn’t seem especially thin to me!   I judged it to be a bit gloopy (that’s a highly technical term).😂

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

A tuna salad sandwich from a Panera sandwich box that a family friend brought yesterday.  I was thinking about making some but this was one of the best tuna salads I have ever had.  I had another for dinner.....

• Like 4

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

45 minutes ago, suzilightning said:

A tuna salad sandwich from a Panera sandwich box that a family friend brought yesterday.  I was thinking about making some but this was one of the best tuna salads I have ever had.  I had another for dinner.....

I love Panera chicken salad, too.  I do find sometimes that they have used onion that is a little aged - very strong.

62AF7440-A693-4F69-8BBD-B4A991784CF0.thumb.jpeg.2306795ac6385e2e5d18fafa12f803ef.jpeg

May have been lunch. Might be dinner. In any case it is leftoverJapanese curry combined with leftover steamed vegetables. 

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

On 8/11/2018 at 3:50 PM, Anna N said:

May have been lunch. Might be dinner. In any case it is leftoverJapanese curry combined with leftover steamed vegetables. 

Ditto today. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Beihai (北海) is a smallish city in the south of Guangxi, by the sea, near the border with Vietnam. It's about two hours away from me and is seafood central. Nearly all the seafood and sea fish I can buy is caught there.

Like most cities here, it has it's own 'iconic' noodle dish. Rice noodles with clams.

mmexport1534044521667.thumb.jpg.5b37c79a6d6f5f63bebc54a0118c5e46.jpg

mmexport1534044525966.thumb.jpg.7818142848e2606e1b2249a7dcb06d85.jpg

The correct way to eat them is to put them into your mouth over and over until your bowl looks like this. (Do not eat the clam shells. Throw them on the floor.)

mmexport1534056200306.thumb.jpg.3c2922f13fe8e739b338af60123b87f2.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 8
  • Delicious 2
  • Haha 1

Banza chickpea pasta (penne) with summer squash, artichoke, grape tomatoes, dressed with green olive spread (basically a finely minced/pureed tapanade), a bit more olive oil and balsamic. Topped with baked balsamic tofu cubes.

IMG_20180813_124247.jpg

• Like 4

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

I ran errands this morning and did a bit of grocery shopping for dinner. I was hoping to spend some time in the garden this afternoon, but a steady rain has thwarted those plans. Today is the 13th of the month and we already have 5 1/2 inches of rain. I can almost hear my tomatoes cracking from here, in the dining room. For lunch, I went with a bowl of spicy chicken ramen, a cold beer and perhaps a nap.

HC

IMG_1722.thumb.JPG.c5e7a63e9ccd0959d2a51ca2006749f3.JPGIMG_1725.thumb.JPG.4c41cc0a52fb8c7dc72ce2be3c3f9f5a.JPGIMG_1721.thumb.JPG.b291c335988eb17fa5686f5f744e2d4f.JPG

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 3

@liuzhou -- I love Scotch eggs made with quail eggs. Perfect size.

@robirdstx -- does every eating establishment down there make those gorgeous-looking onion rings? I believe I could go on an onion ring tour.

• Like 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

D06A03A5-6E01-4CE4-9E90-5BBBBE332B0E.thumb.jpeg.b93f9f114be0fac128336ba01d0ebd5c.jpeg

Salad with a miso-sesame dressing. This is loosely based on a recipe in the book The Zen Kitchen by Adam Liaw. 

• Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

I knew it wasn't a good idea, but did it anyway.

A few weeks back, I was given a box of packs of an "instant" variety of the local iconic noodle dish, Luosifen (螺蛳粉 luó sī fěn, pronounced roughly as Low Si Fun but with a different tone on each syllable.)

I like this dish. Typically, it is sold in small restaurants which are no bigger than shacks. A few years ago, the dish was featured on the highly successful Chinese television Series, "A Bite of China" and factories started making these ersatz "instant" versions.

For the real version, the stock/broth/soup base is based on the local river snails (螺蛳 luó sī). These are boiled, along with pork bones, for anywhere between 3 and 10 hours. Additional ingredients include black cardamom, fennel seed, dried tangerine peel, cassia bark, cloves, salt, pepper, bay leaf, licorice root, sand ginger, and star anise. No one really weighs or measures anything. Each shop ‘knows’ how much of anything is needed. There may be other ingredients, too.

Once the broth is ready, rice noodles made from ‘old rice’ are added. The ‘old rice’ gives the noodles a firmer, more chewy texture than other rice noodles such as those used in Guilin Mifen (桂林米粉 guì lín mǐ fěn), for example. Alongside the noodles,  fried dried beancurd sticks, pickled bamboo shoots, black wood ear fungus, lettuce, peanuts and preserved cow peas are also added. A hefty slug of chilli oil is necessary for authenticity. You may add more chilli, pickles etc to taste. Then you are ready to rock.

To prepare instant luosifen, you boil the wrong noodles then add water and a bunch of gloop from plastic bags.

This is what I had:

bag.thumb.jpg.d77769d8c1c32109cce0a451f61f4ddc.jpg

This bag contained nine smaller bags. Here I've translated that they are:

632635839_LuosifenIngredientsEnglish.thumb.jpg.745b59bb32b39f892c6112c96dc2cf0d.jpg

The ingredients list is as follows:

Rice noodle bag: dry rice noodles (rice, edible corn starch, water)

Sauce bag: fresh snail meat, vegetable oil, edible salt, spice, rock sugar, monosodium glutamate (MSG), chicken powder, bone soup, rice wine, cassia bark.

Small vegetable bag: sour bamboo shoots, black wood ear fungus, mustard, dried radish, capers, vinegar, salt, paprika, potassium sorbate, sodium benzoate)

Fuzhu bag: dried bean milk skin, sodium metabisulfite, edible oil

Peanut Pack: Peanut, Edible Oil

Spicy oil bag: cooking oil, chilli, spice

I love me some sodium metabisulfite.

The instructions told me to boil the noodles for 10 to 12 minutes (I choose the lower end of the spectrum), then drain and set aside.

I was then instructed to boil 350 ml of water and add the soup mix. Stir until well mixed, add the cooked noodles and the rest of the ingredients to taste. In the interests of exactitude I added everything.

lsf.thumb.jpg.69eb9bd8fb12f93ed2807ee54e123579.jpg

I was convinced the 350ml of water was misguided but was determined to follow their recipe. Although the finished product looked right, it tasted awful.  Massively over-salted, over MSG-ed and tasting of raw chilli. While a good luosifen does pack a clout, it is also full of complex and subtle tastes. This was just a hit to the head with a blunt instrument.

I'd say I was disappointed, but I wasn't expecting any miracles. My problem now is I have another 11 packs of this. I'll need to find some people I don't like to pass them on to.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

Lunch chez a friend's house.

mmexport1534401578446.thumb.jpg.e8fe40be95a95c0f578f5ac503a52360.jpg

mmexport1534401573711.thumb.jpg.633d6cc8ee89d90729f997d000829945.jpg

Hand-Shredded Beef, Braised Wasp Fish, Jiaozi Dumplings, Stir-Fried Duck with Ginger, Steamed Oyster with Garlic, Pan-Fried Steak, Minced Pork with Tomato Sauce Noodles, Fried Pork, Fried Sweet Potato Greens, Fruit.

• Like 10

The last of my mortadella with the usual suspects (lately this includes baby Swiss, marinated zucchini, and roasted red peppers).  Today I added some homemade garlic dills, some tomatoes, blistered shishito peppers and a cold beer. It was just about all I could handle, but just enough to make me wish I was immortal.

HC

IMG_1760.thumb.JPG.99d064ff0c1e3839e3c07c11c26a6e1c.JPGIMG_1759.thumb.JPG.07fb571f1dbe4a300d10b712e214d282.JPG

• Like 4
  • Haha 2