• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (2018)

BonVivant

@CantCookStillTry

surely you can get quality thai curry pastes in your area ?

look for the ones that come in vac-bags inside plastic wide mouth jars

this is the can :

https://www.amazon.com/Maesri-Thai-Red-Curry-Paste/dp/B005MH0P5Q?th=1

but get the ' Tubs'

I like 

https://www.amazon.com/Maesri-Red-Curry-Paste-14oz/dp/B007MOTZN0/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_tr_t_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=1J7QMAMS5FW46RFQXH2F

brand a little better than 

https://www.amazon.com/Mae-Ploy-Red-Curry-Paste/dp/B0091UW4QS?th=1

but tastes differ.

22 hours ago, rotuts said:

@CantCookStillTry

surely you can get quality thai curry pastes 

Oh I can :) 

Please note the qualifier 'Expected' - this clearly was not a Thai Curry or anything close! It merely looked that way when I pulled the unlabelled container from the depths of the chest freezer. 

I freely admit I have no idea what this was meant to be - only that it was not great! (I made it. It sucked. Froze it so as not to be wasteful. Picked it for lunch. Still sh×t). 

Edited by CantCookStillTry (log)
  • Haha 3

So..Finishing up my vegan Mexican meatloaf my   :  Meat Loaf Sandwich 

OroWheat Bread/Dukes/slice of meatloaf/lettuce/red roasted pepper/ pickled gardinaria

43754720202_0f823c55f8_c.jpg

Edited by Paul Bacino (log)
  • Like 5

Its good to have Morels

I was delivered lunch to the office today. My husband grabbed (Australian) fish and chips from the pub in an attempt to spend some time together before I got sucked back in. It was really good (and huge) for $12. I managed one bit of fish and some coleslaw before life took over, but my son had the rest for his Tea. 

20180803_175730.thumb.jpg.e23ba296866682f61b4591b7f34a7588.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

On 7/29/2018 at 11:25 AM, blue_dolphin said:

This started out as some new potatoes dressed with tonnato and lemon, as suggested by Joshua McFadden in Six Seasons.  Then I threw some green and yellow wax beans into the pot when the potatoes were just about cooked, cut up some red bell pepper and small tomatoes for color, added some flaked, oil-packed tuna, a few capers and an egg and it became lunch.

IMG_8465.thumb.jpg.5c5a55e372cf9f84193334d055ec7162.jpg

That looks good!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

2DC1B859-0674-4510-8177-750253253C0E.thumb.jpeg.f1cfa4e6970eaaccfee7a26b86677836.jpeg

Lunch – – a well-balanced meal – – meat and one. However, I’m not really fond of these balsamic pickled onions we bought.

I considered blitzing the jar (contents) in the Thermomix in an attempt to turn it into onion jam. But one would still have to futz with it. It’s not sweet enough for that. Blessedly it’s a small jar.  

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I'm putting this here as, although it was brunch, it was closer to 'unch' than to 'br'.

n2.thumb.jpg.ee30af985761bd1009b9ebb7d21e4cf6.jpg

Pork, chilli, garlic, ginger, white pepper in a pork bone broth with fresh rice noodles, lettuce and a boiled chicken egg.

Here it is before I added broth.

n1.thumb.jpg.30daa62237edb656717d6fc8613d507f.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 11

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Lunch today, it's a "taco dip", the base is sour cream and cream cheese + alton browns taco power 19 + powered onion and garlic.  Then 2/3 is a fatali mango pineapple sauce (Homemade) and the rest is boring ortega sauce (To keep the total heat down to something my wife can enjoy).   Then lettuce, tomatoes and cheese round out the top.

I grew up eating something like this as a kid.  Anyone else?

20180805_113931.thumb.jpg.23261319764621504a6917ab25e0af87.jpg

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1

Nothing new, but I am compelled to document even the ordinary. Ramen, with par boiled tree (or cloud) ears, snow peas and half moon slices of zucchini that have been sautéed in a bit of used peanut oil and some home grown garlic and tajin, some kimchi and a healthy glug of chili oil, topped with fresh chives and a garnish of pickled ginger.

HC

IMG_1642.thumb.JPG.02a54c74509100bf472bdab2a3333b3b.JPGIMG_1641.thumb.JPG.f2a1029cf95f8bd4f7f3145d6478107c.JPGIMG_1640.thumb.JPG.b4460ddbdef8cdf9f53f51254a19ad77.JPG 

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, HungryChris said:

tree (or cloud) ears

Which? They are not the same. Tree ear (木耳 mù ěr. 'wood-ear' is a better translation) is dark, brown to black.

Cloud ear (云耳 yún ěr ) are white to light gray.

Taste wise they are the same .Tasteless.

• Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

8 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Which? They are not the same. Tree ear (木耳 mù ěr. 'wood-ear' is a better translation) is dark, brown to black.

Interesting. I’ve always thought they were the same. They obviously know very little about mushrooms.  

Edited to add:

Not surprising. When I google these two mushrooms namescthey are frequently discussed together as if they were one. 

Edited by Anna N
To add some further information. (log)

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

16 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Here, they are written about and listed on menus as if they are the same thing. These are dark brown to black. So, I take it they are wood, or tree ears. I always wondered where the cloud ear term came from. In either respect, it must be the texture that puts them on the table, as they, like you say, have no flavor, but I do enjoy them in combination with the ramen, broth and other vegetables.

HC 

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, HungryChris said:

Here, they are written about and listed on menus as if they are the same thing. These are dark brown to black. So, I take it they are wood, or tree ears. I always wondered where the cloud ear term came from. In either respect, it must be the texture that puts them on the table, as they, like you say, have no flavor, but I do enjoy them in combination with the ramen, broth and other vegetables.

HC 

Right. The clouds are "cloud-like" but westerners tend to lump. I find the tree ears essential inKorean chap chae and enjoy them in Vietnamese cha gio (fried Spring rolls if you will)

Edited by heidih (log)

I spent the morning in the garden, until I could barely stand up and came inside as the temp approached 90 F. I made a small chef salad with lots of tomatoes and topped it off with the first shishito pepper of the season.

IMG_1652.thumb.JPG.9d84eb491992b7ad8faa1baf397388b8.JPGIMG_1653.thumb.JPG.5afbd23306acb5dd10df5bb733a944c9.JPG

Speaking of barely being able to stand up, take a closer look at this beer glass. I think it wasn't quite ready for the cooling rack. I was pretty upset, when I first noticed it, but find it kind of comical now.

HC

IMG_1656.thumb.JPG.f04f73caf944b2f64619319f1a2605ff.JPG

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

On 8/1/2018 at 5:02 AM, CantCookStillTry said:

Freezer find Al Desko. 

I can identify chicken, kale, capsicum and the sort lack of any real taste that has me coming to the conclusion these were meals stashed in the freezer in the hope we would loose power for days! 

I had expected it to be a Thai style curry in its frozen state. Noone to blame but myself. 🙃

20180801_185154.thumb.jpg.a1a35c8a683f5049f1271d632a7b81ca.jpg

@Anna Nhas a philosophy that I have taken to heart about freezer storage. Most of us want to avoid food waste, but if you did not like it the first time, the time in the freezer is not going to make it any better, just the opposite. Bin it or give it a ride down the garbage disposal in my case.

On 8/3/2018 at 7:06 AM, CantCookStillTry said:

I was delivered lunch to the office today. My husband grabbed (Australian) fish and chips from the pub in an attempt to spend some time together before I got sucked back in. It was really good (and huge) for $12. I managed one bit of fish and some coleslaw before life took over, but my son had the rest for his Tea. 

20180803_175730.thumb.jpg.e23ba296866682f61b4591b7f34a7588.jpg

Beautiful looking fish and chips! One question, though. Around here, coleslaw is mostly shredded cabbage with bits of maybe shredded carrot, onion, and I make one with some apple chunks. Your slaw looks more like what we would call salad here? So can you describe Australian coleslaw, please?

Sorry you didn't get to eat much of your lunch. :( I spent many years doing that or not getting to eat lunch at all.  Crazy as it sounds, this stress eating makes you gain weight for some reason.

> ^ . . ^ <

On 8/5/2018 at 2:26 PM, Raamo said:

Lunch today, it's a "taco dip", the base is sour cream and cream cheese + alton browns taco power 19 + powered onion and garlic.  Then 2/3 is a fatali mango pineapple sauce (Homemade) and the rest is boring ortega sauce (To keep the total heat down to something my wife can enjoy).   Then lettuce, tomatoes and cheese round out the top.

I grew up eating something like this as a kid.  Anyone else?

20180805_113931.thumb.jpg.23261319764621504a6917ab25e0af87.jpg

Yes! I've eaten something similar before. A close friend that I used to go visit in the neighboring county made a similar dip without the sweet mango/pineapple component. There were black beans and good black olives involved in this one and also many beers. :)

I love the curliness of your grated cheese. What do you use to do that?

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

5 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

I love the curliness of your grated cheese. What do you use to do that?

I've seen this done with olives before, no thanks myself.   To get the cheese to curl like that I used a normal grater but went back and forth quickly, it was at first not on purpose but I liked it so much I kept doing it.

We never made this with Fatali sauce before this year.  We made the sauce and then tried to figure out what it would work on, it's SUPER hot by it self.  I've done it on tacos and also taco salad.

• Like 1

Mortadella, baby Swiss, roasted peppers and marinated zucchini on a poppy seeded roll with mayo and Dijon mustard. On the side are the garden tomatoes leftover from dinner, along with a quality control check of the half gallon of garlic dills before Deb brings them in to the truck shop tomorrow. The guys seem to love them and when it's 90 F in their work area, I figure they can use a little salt.

HC

IMG_1680.thumb.JPG.bcd9b19e3578735d8c394621b51cbaed.JPG

IMG_1678.thumb.JPG.18e923bfd55ba78e189a74111fc733c0.JPG

IMG_1679.thumb.JPG.d2d968ddd8125b546db0253a10072539.JPG

• Like 7