• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (2018)

BonVivant

Even though we're going out for dinner a lot as I recuperate, it's not as if I'm not cooking at all, as I'm still preparing breakfast, and often lunch...

41454974380_fb00c5b877_c.jpg

Today's lunch was rice, Rancho Gordo Caballero beans, and simply sautéed greens.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 7

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

For my birthday gift, Jessica took me to the Jefferson Hotel for afternoon tea.  Mr. Kim went, too. Menu:

DSCN8360.JPG.87aad084e6e7fd9cda3ca84cce81e6ab.JPG

DSCN8361.JPG.64f59f04d4cef7067a7142ec149be40b.JPG

Jessica and I had the Jefferson blend and Mike had the Richmond blend.

DSCN8370.JPG.4da51219d7dd247c605bab9e75170bae.JPG

I adore Hotel Silver and would start a collection if I weren't trying to pare down my others.

Tea goodies:

DSCN8365.thumb.JPG.f6c29c831db935803791aa032cdfca2f.JPG

Cucumber on pumpernickel, chicken tarragon salad, cheese-arugula wrap and country ham rolls:

DSCN8367.thumb.JPG.81c3f6fc8e2b97ce53a66e69bb95aa11.JPG

All really good, but the chicken salad was a standout.  For me, it is really easy to find tarragon overdone, but this was perfect.

Savory scone – sun dried tomatoes and cheese:

DSCN8368.JPG.a7fee4b100a23f31a96ff8bbeb502945.JPG

DSCN8369.thumb.JPG.e4ec533e5f08819cbab5380958f77d77.JPG

Savory scone, sweet scone, chocolate and yellow slices and a cookie:

DSCN8372.JPG.db42f0529e48b5bcdeada93bb40b44d6.JPG

The sweet scone was an abomination – they had put mini M&M’s in them. 

More sweets:

DSCN8373.JPG.2ca7f5c71945d38ca1cf29cee335d762.JPG

Macaron, strawberries, lemon curd mini tarts with blackberries and blueberries and a little chocolate mousse filled tart.  Everything was delicious, but the strawberry and the mousse proved that you shouldn’t choose festive-ness over flavor.  Those little sprinkles have a flavor – actually, a fairly strong one and they compromised and cheapened the pure flavor of the fruit and the chocolate.  Since it was my birthday celebration, they brought out a lovely cupcake:

DSCN8375.JPG.509b95c4cd31d1ffbee466e191a9cca0.JPG

The cake was excellent – like a poundcake, really.  I’m not a big fan of buttercream and since the cupcake had been refrigerated, the frosting was pretty stiff.  What a lovely gift for this Anglophile!

• Like 11

This is a meal I have grown to treasure. Dried black fungus that has been brought to life with a simmer in a bit of water, baby bok choy, sugar snaps and zucchini coins that have all been sautéed in a bit of oil, garlic and ginger, Korean noodles (I buy several varieties) , some kimchi, a bit of chili oil and a little pile of pickled ginger for garnish.

IMG_1317.thumb.JPG.bdeafdf11996e13ec963a5c58e027497.JPGIMG_1313.thumb.JPG.050e08301a0373b2f9243991b292392c.JPG

Between the kimchi and hot chili oil, the heat will cloud my vision with tears, but does not slow me down!

HC

IMG_1319.thumb.JPG.f8b2a888702aeb9030591095b3d1c814.JPGIMG_1322.thumb.JPG.3202b9a016e9dea0501e3ac0d102d31c.JPG

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

1 hour ago, HungryChris said:

Dried black fungus that has been brought to life with a simmer in a bit of water, 

When you say dried black fungus do you mean cloud ear/tree ear mushrooms?

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Put together a Strawberry Rhubarb dump cake this morning...when it cools enough I'll have a piece for lunch.

Also shown is 

my jar of Famous Dave's spicy pickle chips for a snack.

0FFF70B0-161A-4321-9CF8-C1D79BA94832.jpeg

Edited by lindag (log)
  • Like 6
  • Delicious 1

54 minutes ago, Anna N said:

When you say dried black fungus do you mean cloud ear/tree ear mushrooms?

Yes, tree ears or cloud ears, but on the package, it simply says "Black Fungus" which is quite catchy, don't you think?

HC

39 minutes ago, HungryChris said:

Yes, tree ears or cloud ears, but on the package, it simply says "Black Fungus" which is quite catchy, don't you think?

HC

I was curious because I’ve just started using some cloud ear mushrooms.   They do add texture but darn little else. I like the name black fungus but it does sound gothic and might be more readily fit into a murder mystery than a dinner plate.xD 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

On 7/12/2018 at 4:14 AM, Anna N said:

They do add texture but darn little else.

and that is precisely why they are prized in Chinese cuisine. They like crunchy contrasts round here. That is why shark fin is still popular (although that is waning). It tastes of nothing, but has that crunchy texture.

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I have come to the reluctant conclusion, after decades of failure, that it is simply not possible to photograph mushroom soup without it looking like a festering mud pond devoid of desirable life. And no amount of Photoshop rescues it.

soup3.thumb.jpg.bd05eab235c9991a052ca16955104055.jpg

However, it is in no need of Tasteshop or Umamishop, so I continue to make and enjoy it.

Today,  I dug various bags of dried mushroom soaking water from the freezer and amalgamated them into a base stock for my soup. Added chopped shallots and sliced king oyster mushrooms (eryngii) and rehydrated shiitake. Stewed them for a while until soft.

Blitzed in food processor and returned to the pan. Added regular oyster mushrooms and cordycep militaris mushrooms along with lashings of freshly ground white pepper. Whatever you think is simply too much white pepper is only almost enough. Cooked for a couple of minutes and ate with steamed bread (馒头 mán tóu) for dunking.

soup1.thumb.jpg.8d0ffe026823515d1d1de0da812bbb1a.jpg

Chinese has two words for soup: 汤 (tāng) is the most common and is used for predominantly liquid soups. 羹 (gēng) is used for thick soups, such as this one - 蘑 菇 羹 (mó gū gēng) thick mushroom soup.

soup2.thumb.jpg.fdd0f86045b6ccd4126c2527f195fa29.jpg

Still ugly though. But tasty.

• Like 6

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

My lunch yesterday, haunted me with just how good and satisfying it was. So much so, that I did it again today. This is quickly becoming a favorite sandwich of mine: Cooked salami, marinated zucchini ribbons, roasted red peppers on Tuscan bread with mayo and Dijon mustard. Because I'll be smoking some salmon and pork ribs that I spotted on sale recently, I'll be chained to the furnace, so to speak, for most of the afternoon. Friday the thirteenth seems like a good day to stay home and an adult beverage seemed appropriate.

HC

IMG_1345.thumb.JPG.08552ffd687be6c1241b6038dfd23c32.JPGIMG_1351.thumb.JPG.e6c78373f7fd4a2b0426ff4132bcd69b.JPG

• Like 6

4 hours ago, HungryChris said:

My lunch yesterday, haunted me with just how good and satisfying it was. So much so, that I did it again today. This is quickly becoming a favorite sandwich of mine: Cooked salami, marinated zucchini ribbons, roasted red peppers on Tuscan bread with mayo and Dijon mustard. Because I'll be smoking some salmon and pork ribs that I spotted on sale recently, I'll be chained to the furnace, so to speak, for most of the afternoon. Friday the thirteenth seems like a good day to stay home and an adult beverage seemed appropriate.

HC

A special sandwich can be SO satisfying. I have a few simple ones. I am aways quoting Melissa Clark- so again MC quoting her mom:  "Good sandwiches are like interesting people, unpredictable and filled with surprises"  "Each bite should be a little different, otherwise it gets boring"

• Like 2

@Kim Shook would any of the Wegmans “ready to eat” items appeal to your mom? I started a thread in the Kitchen Consumer topic and their items. Their gazpacho is prettt good, same with the beef on weck. 

That grilled cheese looks delicious! I buy Wegman’s pre-cooked ham slices and throw them in salads and potatoes au gratin. I don’t really cook that much since my husband is so busy at work I feel like it’s interupting him to ask what he may want for dinner (and I never know what he had for lunch or if he had it) and he comes home so late that frequently he doesn’t want a full meal. So having certain pre-prepped things, like Wegman’s bacon wrapped scallops and Caesar salad are super handy. 

Edited by MetsFan5 (log)
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, MetsFan5 said:

@Kim Shook would any of the Wegmans “ready to eat” items appeal to your mom? I started a thread in the Kitchen Consumer topic and their items. Their gazpacho is prettt good, same with the beef on weck. 

That grilled cheese looks delicious! I buy Wegman’s pre-cooked ham slices and throw them in salads and potatoes au gratin. I don’t really cook that much since my husband is so busy at work I feel like it’s interupting him to ask what he may want for dinner (and I never know what he had for lunch or if he had it) and he comes home so late that frequently he doesn’t want a full meal. So having certain pre-prepped things, like Wegman’s bacon wrapped scallops and Caesar salad are super handy. 

That is a great idea!  Thank you.  I'll look next time I go.  I've taken her there in the past and she loved the stuff on the hot bar.  It never occurred to me!