• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (2018)

BonVivant

17 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Anna N

no idea how one eats a perfectly cooked yolk like that w chopsticks

I do not know how others do it but for me the yolk becomes a dip as it were for my rice.  It is Japanese rice so it is easy to deal with when you’re using chopsticks.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Made Bahn Mi this morning, using turkey, pepperoni, bacon, pickled carrots, tomatoes, and lettuce and 1/4 of a roll I put together this sandwich, was quite tasty.  I ate the entire roll in 3 sections.

lunchbahnmi.thumb.png.6f8216143804e0e6e2febaa823427194.png

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Raamo said:

Made Bahn Mi this morning, using turkey, pepperoni, bacon, pickled carrots, tomatoes, and lettuce and 1/4 of a roll I put together this sandwich, was quite tasty.  I ate the entire roll in 3 sections.

lunchbahnmi.thumb.png.6f8216143804e0e6e2febaa823427194.png

Not completely focused I read this as, “I ate the whole roll in 3 seconds”.  Which would be totally understandable.

• Haha 3

One of the few food items I smuggled back from Vietnam last week was these pita breads. I've never seen them here in China and my attempts to make them haven't really worked.

pita.thumb.jpg.cb3b71d44f0cc167945b83ac2ca87bba.jpg

Cubed and fried a skinless, boneless chicken bread with cumin coriander and chilli. Stuffed pita with a simple salad of lettuce, scallion and coriander leaf - added the chicken and some real Thai Sriracha sauce. Ate. (Excess salad on the side.)

5af3d73b8fca8_pita3.thumb.jpg.938ac8d178b35708e1460da302874295.jpg

5af3d75a6afaa_pita2.thumb.jpg.1eca03fb66393057c79a5f576aad9a3a.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 8

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I made a special trip to get some hot horseradish, which I believe to be critical in good cocktail sauce. I picked out the smallest littlenecks from my clamming trip a few days ago for lunch. The last of the beer in the open growler in the fridge was just about right.

HC

IMG_0562.thumb.JPG.d427a6b295c9698ff12ef1e9b829d7cb.JPG

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 5

651788B7-EB51-45D6-B0C7-31A7421C866C.thumb.jpeg.fd87be9220ac386f9d77302a947a31a0.jpeg

Just little sumpin’ sumpin’. Toasted rye with cream cheese and speck. 

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Tomorrow is the first Dragon Boat race of this season. To sustain ourselves during the day there is a ongoing potluck, and so today I prepared two loaves (?) of Leberkäse - one traditional and one "Pizza" with olives, red peppers and cheese cubes baked in.

And for quality check I had a "LKW" (Leberkäseweck) with the tradional one, fresh from the oven with extra-hot Löwensenf. Heaven !

WP_20180512_13_57_23_Pro.jpg

WP_20180512_13_57_38_Pro.jpg

WP_20180512_13_57_52_Pro.jpg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 3

Still waiting for John's tooth appliances to come in so still soft-ish foods.

The other day I had roasted off some chicken breasts.  After stashing the bones in the freezer for future stock work, I made chicken salad in the mini processor with - for John - minced shallot and minced celery, a little celery salt and a mix of mayonnaise and some of my great grandmother's cooked dressing.   For me the chicken, shallot and chopped pecans and dried cherries with the same dressing.  

His was mounded on some Ritz crackers; I rolled mine in a spinach wrap with some tomato concasse.

• Like 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Ascension long weekend here.

Smoked herring and scrambled eggs.

VCGlWK6.jpg

Burrata

wJiNpn8.jpg

Going through charcuterie I brought back from Austria.

u6QGset.jpg

People be like "nobody knows your age because you have no wrinkle*". I tell them "Omega-3 fatty acids!". (*Not true. I found my first 2 wrinkles last year...)

IewZNHx.jpg

This is supposed to be Labskaus, a typical northern German light meal, with mashed potatoes mixed with beetroots and herring. I prefer mine crisp-fried with onions.

SSIB8kb.jpg

Austrian dumplings with eggs and Speck. I used rye flour here and made it Japanese -esque with sesame seeds in the batter and tamari-sesame oil for dipping.

UIOL1Rf.jpg

t3riCDE.jpg

• Like 4

A5D85E57-BC2D-47F1-A425-3D479A632A3C.thumb.jpeg.afb05e3fc1fe47e30eb52257fca26574.jpeg

I eat my experiments even the failed ones. xD

Not very smooth and far too loose carrot-ginger dressing. 

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

Grilled swordfish with Minnesota wild rice.  Real wild rice is so much more complex than the farmed variety.   Not cheap but worse it. I buy mine from Bineshii.

IMG_0620.thumb.JPG.bc71f401cc3a08fe682fdebd628a1eed.JPG

• Like 7

5 hours ago, BonVivant said:

People be like "nobody knows your age because you have no wrinkle*". I tell them "Omega-3 fatty acids!". (*Not true. I found my first 2 wrinkles last year...)

Jeanne Calment, at 105 or so, told an interviewer "I only have one wrinkle...and I'm sitting on it!"

• Haha 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Wow @robirdstx

"Quadruple like":x:x:x:x

Love artichokes.  We get pathetic ones here.  They are so tired and wilted I never buy them.  Are yours fresh? and they look like those baby Italian artichokes I used to be able to get when I lived in Edmonton at the best Italian grocery store ever, "The Italian Centre".  The store was started by an Italian immigrant in the Italian sector of Edmonton.  He used to help his fellow countrymen who had just arrived in Canada by extending credit in his store and donating food to them.  His daughter runs it now since he has passed and she now has three stores in Edmonton.  Oh, I miss that place so much.

Rest of the pizza dough from American Pie used with the leftover "Turkish lamb" topping used last night for dinner.  This time I made the crust thicker and it was much better.

Here are the two:  before and after.  I cut the leftovers into pieces and froze them.....breakfast anyone?

DSC02421.thumb.jpg.79a57af3eb052afd095f17e6261bf98a.jpg

• Like 7

24 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

Wow @robirdstx

"Quadruple like":x:x:x:x

Love artichokes...

I love them, too! These are Member’s Mark Whole Artichoke Hearts, packed in water, and sold at Sam’s Club. I drained them, sliced in half, sprinkled with lemon juice, added a couple of pats of butter and black pepper, then covered with waxed paper and heated in the microwave. My DH does not like artichokes, so they are all mine! :D

• Like 1

6 hours ago, robirdstx said:

Lemon-Butter Artichoke Hearts and a Deviled Egg

E59E4AB2-CA64-4462-9992-654BDAE8CAC5.thumb.jpeg.01cb936690bfd74ac0b9f00b337ddd88.jpeg

Sudden craving for deviled eggs....

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

On 5/15/2018 at 5:41 PM, kayb said:

Sudden craving for deviled eggs....

@robirdstx's deviled eggs got me, too xD

IMG_7835.thumb.jpg.858b7e534b2d5318607281f95a4368d7.jpg

Re-heated spinach & leek spiral pie, deviled eggs made with the preserved lemon aioli I made the other day and fresh tomato

I'm sort of a purist when it comes to deviled eggs - just a little mayo and mustard - but these went very well with the spinach pie. 

• Like 6