• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (2018)

BonVivant

2 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Here is where the chicharones came from in Hamilton. I often drop in there after my Friday morning clinic at the Mission. 

Oh thank you, Lord. I was afraid they came from Buffalo.xD

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

72EB34DF-255E-4377-8B3A-65F326C385D0.thumb.jpeg.2ce737ebfea24403edb972aed085faf6.jpeg

Easing my way back into Japanese food. Teriyaki chicken wings, miso soup and rice with sweet simmered shiitake mushrooms.   Japanese pantry will need to be re-plenished. 

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Finally, soft shell crab sandwiches. These fresh crabs were shaken briefly in flour spiked with a little Old Bay and pan fried in butter and served

on toasted snowflake rolls with a bit of kimchi aioli.

HC

IMG_0457.thumb.JPG.5e535f3201f7203b5394f02a84592255.JPGIMG_0458-20180505142100.thumb.JPG.ce7d64cb38f53edd751ebd3872a6fa73.JPG

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1

I would love to have two of those. No bun, no aioli, just plenty of lemon wedges. Oh, Antoine's! Or Mary Mahoney's!

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

5 hours ago, kayb said:

I would love to have two of those. No bun, no aioli, just plenty of lemon wedges. Oh, Antoine's! Or Mary Mahoney's!

Just my imagination running wild since last year. They were everything I hoped for. If I can track down some live ones in the next few days, I will have them "neat" with lemon juice.

HC

9 minutes ago, HungryChris said:

If the plate is more important than the food, you have a problem.

HC

Maybe you missed the :P ? But now you sound self conscious about your plating. Don't take things to serious. I use paper plates all the time, but most members won't like to admit, but this site is all about looks first. Rightfully so, we eat with our eyes first.

P.S , food taste better when your not fiddling around trying to make it pretty on a plate getting cold.

Edited by FeChef (log)
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, FeChef said:

Maybe you missed the :P ? But now you sound self conscious about your plating. Don't take things to serious. I use paper plates all the time, but most members won't like to admit, but this site is all about looks first. Rightfully so, we eat with our eyes first.

P.S , food taste better when your not fiddling around trying to make it pretty on a plate getting cold.

Prior to preparing the soft shell crab, Deb and I had spent about an hour with tiny screw drivers fabricating a single pair of glasses for her grandson out of pieces of several broken ones. After cleaning up the spare parts, I had had all the tedium I needed. I chose the paper plate because the whole sandwich making was a fast and dirty one to say the least and I was hungry.9_9

HC

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Would you call this plate shaming?

It’s a such a shame. xD

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

My 2004 eG Blog

On 5/3/2018 at 10:18 AM, kayb said:

Steak and Shake has opened an outpost in my town; been open four days, and when I went at 1:15 yesterday, I had to wait 10 minutes for a seat.

Single bacon cheese steakburger with fries, $4. And that's not an introductory price. Good, thick country bacon. Patty is thin, but nicely crusted from griddling. Fries are thinner than McDonald's, not my favorite, but you have the choice of several other sides (beans, slaw, applesauce, I forget what else). Added an Orange Freeze milkshake into the deal. 

Severe overeating. Should've left off the milkshake. Sandwich was great.

I don't care for those fries, either.  But those thin, crisp crusted, griddle cooked burgers!  Glad ours is WAY over on the other side of town - limits how often I get to it!

• Like 1

Yesterday's late lunch/early dinner assembled from previously prepared items from the Nopalito cookbook.

IMG_7733.thumb.jpg.0585a4136a96dbaf2fbe455106c84458.jpg

Quesadilla stuffed with the Vegetales con Aceite de Chile Cascabel served with Salsa Cilantro, Guacamole, Frijoles Negros de la Olla, Crema and Escabeche Rojo.  The pickled red onions are excellent.  I ate about 3 X the amount in the photo. 

• Like 6

DC8F2E46-C32A-43E1-B7DE-2A109372208E.thumb.jpeg.babac0433f17e1abb2592c6ed0795f88.jpeg

Confusion cuisine.  German speck, Italian Gorgonzola, Ontario hot house tomatoes and lettuce and a Japanese inspired dressing.  Have you not heard of globalization? 

• Like 5
  • Delicious 2
  • Haha 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Leftovers-R-Us. Took the white rice from Saturday, and the asparagus and corn and shrimp from Friday, and made fried rice. I am replete.

20180507_155840.thumb.jpg.87182f7f928a45bf26060ef6a53e0a96.jpg

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

On 5/5/2018 at 10:36 PM, FeChef said:

My old boss used to say "We eat with our eyes first, but we eat with out mouths MOST. Make it taste good before you start fussing over how it looks!"

Plating is all good, and a useful skill, but I think most of us here are about the nom nom nom part. :)

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

19 minutes ago, chromedome said:

My old boss used to say "We eat with our eyes first, but we eat with out mouths MOST. Make it taste good before you start fussing over how it looks!"

Plating is all good, and a useful skill, but I think most of us here are about the nom nom nom part. :)

I don’t think it needs to be either/or. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

1BCEBC0B-FD10-4882-B0EE-868A84C54425.thumb.jpeg.ea722c61bb3bf77b70664ad4f918981e.jpeg

53CABA74-B3BB-4C38-BC3C-82ECE0DAB136.thumb.jpeg.7bf63b70c06d0565f7e9f91f87325ebb.jpeg

Leftover rice reheated with a drizzle of sesame oil then topped with a 90°C/8 minute egg, some sliced scallions and a shake of schichimi togarishi.  

• Like 11

My 2004 eG Blog

On 5/6/2018 at 10:28 AM, Kerry Beal said:

Would you call this plate shaming?

No, but perhaps 'environmentally destructive'?

I always bite my lip (or perhaps in this case, fingers) when I see all the paper plates on this site, but I realize some people have accessibility issues so I cannot presume anything.