• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (2018)

BonVivant

Well, that would have worked, but I had a crevice that was not...quite...full, so the hash browns (I keep a bag of frozen on hand all the time) were an optimum solution. Particularly as I had no bread thawed. 

Topped things off with a tangerine. Clementine. Mandarin orange. Whatever it was. I am now set to go outside and garden.

• Like 5

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

18A7B7E9-5602-4218-978B-8BF94A41856F.thumb.jpeg.9658c15f03fe60253ac90543cd212659.jpeg

A pear and a pair of blues. :)  And a salad of carrot and parsnip ribbons with a miso dressing.  

• Like 9

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

2 minutes ago, kayb said:

Well, that would have worked, but I had a crevice that was not...quite...full

Hate those damn crevices.  xD

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

It was a long weekend.

Aged Comté (3 years) and sourdough.

kIbQMbc.jpg

Borage and Tyrolean Speck alongside.

OJ9gfJD.jpg

You almost never see spring onions in my food. Chives are as much as I can manage. You can imagine how hard it was for me in Korea. Spring onions in e.ve.ry.thing and in copious amounts.

822B9yD.jpg

Buckwheat pancakes with Speck.

nReMvhV.jpg

Kumquat compotes (with Riesling and Aberlour/scotch, a lot!). Maple syrup satisfies my inner Canadian.

M9kZMnQ.jpg

Edited by BonVivant (log)
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

E71F5B49-AE84-4BD8-9A75-C9B6BDF12298.thumb.jpeg.e82ed873e14115301c78c9e8de4de2a7.jpeg

Ham, gruyere, and roasted broccoli sandwich with a small broccoli stem salad. 

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1

My 2004 eG Blog

lunch from Whole Foods hot bar: creamed spinach/kale, mac+cheese, miso eggplant, curry chicken, cherry BBQ sauced seitan. I love being able to just get a spoon of several things, all for less than $7.00

• Like 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

9 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

Roasted broccoli!:o

What is so shocking?   Roasted broccoli is almost as eye-opening as roasted cauliflower.:) 

Edited by Anna N
To add a smiley because I didn’t mean to sound snotty (log)

My 2004 eG Blog

Agreed but in a sandwich?

just say’n

could of had more ham and cheese

”proper” sandwich ingredients that deserve their place in said sandwich over the loveliest of roast broccoli 

:D

11 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

Agreed but in a sandwich?

just say’n

could of had more ham and cheese

”proper” sandwich ingredients that deserve their place in said sandwich over the loveliest of roast broccoli 

:D

I kicked “proper” out of my dictionary when I hit 70. xD

Edited to add that it appears to have a credible pedigree:)

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

My 2004 eG Blog

Back in China after a couple of weeks in Vietnam and met with an old friend in Nanning for lunch before catching a train back home.

Ate some 老友粉 (lǎo yǒu fěn) - Old friend Noodles - the local speciality. Pork, tomato, salted black beans, bamboo shoot and Chinese greens with rice noodles.

laoyoufen.thumb.jpg.0994690c5509bf452b41270e05aeee6f.jpg

• Like 10

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Steak and Shake has opened an outpost in my town; been open four days, and when I went at 1:15 yesterday, I had to wait 10 minutes for a seat.

Single bacon cheese steakburger with fries, $4. And that's not an introductory price. Good, thick country bacon. Patty is thin, but nicely crusted from griddling. Fries are thinner than McDonald's, not my favorite, but you have the choice of several other sides (beans, slaw, applesauce, I forget what else). Added an Orange Freeze milkshake into the deal. 

Severe overeating. Should've left off the milkshake. Sandwich was great.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

5CBF1251-1F96-49CB-9228-0320114DDF0E.thumb.jpeg.425f7c89d0cdd8d2a30a608f11e9eb84.jpeg

Miso soup with a poached egg. 7AC6F7E0-A49C-4338-9D67-717A5C0AA80F.thumb.jpeg.8420b343827e9dbe675ee7bc1b12b1f1.jpeg

Miso–butter marinated grilled shrimp. 

Edited by Anna N
Because I posted before I was finished. (log)
  • Like 10

My 2004 eG Blog

On 2018-04-26 at 8:16 PM, Anna N said:

To me these things are to real pork rind as Pringles are to potato chips.  I have had some that actually taste like pork.  These didn’t despite the ingredient list which claims that they are nothing more than pork, lard and salt.  Perhaps I should not have used the word fake.  Perhaps factory-made would have been a better choice of words. 

94C69691-261E-4B4E-AA61-13E729ED9F6B.thumb.jpeg.6fd19042464af2787575ffa42341c9dc.jpegECA5EE8E-062F-44DC-854D-711831419230.thumb.jpeg.26986ff7feef0dcbae854ae844e10707.jpeg

Now we are talking some serious porky goodness. 

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

Those are gorgeous. There is a Hispanic market in town that has the MOST excellent ones. Spoiled me.  They are in the deli counter and kept warm so I can barely contain myself from chomping before I exit store. The counter people are super nice and will dig around, turn upside down etc so you can get the ratio you prefer. Craving!!!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, heidih said:

Those are gorgeous. There is a Hispanic market in town that has the MOST excellent ones. Spoiled me.  They are in the deli counter and kept warm so I can barely contain myself from chomping before I exit store. The counter people are super nice and will dig around, turn upside down etc so you can get the ratio you prefer. Craving!!!

OMG.  I think these are the best I have ever had.   They were a gift. I am blessed. 

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

@Anna N

The Pork items above look delicious 

and crunchy

I tried to go back to your previous thread

but lost my my.  of course i did not try very hard

what are those 1/2 moon piggy items ?

and if you did not make them

how are they made ?

I did enjoy the pic of the miso shrimp

they looked to me like the plumpest shrimp Ive ever seen

and not yet tried

The porky things were a gift.  I can’t tell you how they are made.

As for the shrimp they are absolutely nothing special.  In truth, I had to trim off the freezer burn from them. :o They are black tiger shrimp size 16 to 20 and had been in my freezer a bit too long.  

My 2004 eG Blog

29 minutes ago, rotuts said:

The Pork items above look delicious 

what are those 1/2 moon piggy items ?

and if you did not make them

how are they made ?

They are deep fried pork skin - chicharones.  The skin still has just a bit of meat on it.  One of my favorite porky products. There are street vendors that do it on the east side of Los Angeles but I've never had the pleasure. The market I mentioned has a great version.

• Like 1

I thought is was chicharones

did not know they made it to the GTA

there is a tex-mex place one town over

finest carnitas burritos I can get

they do have them

Ill try them there.

53 minutes ago, rotuts said:

I thought is was chicharones

did not know they made it to the GTA

there is a tex-mex place one town over

finest carnitas burritos I can get

they do have them

Ill try them there.

The GTA is the most culturally diverse city in the world.  Something many do not know.

We have many of the worlds cuisines within a 40 minute drive! 

• Like 2