• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (2018)

BonVivant

0E69A1AE-E812-4A74-B861-E9AE92624D50.thumb.jpeg.dd69a47331e058e64ecd801077f009be.jpeg

Chicken soup (from the freezer) with garlic toast.

• Like 8

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Wasn't especially photogenic, so I didn't take a pic, but panang curry at one of the local Thai places. With a salad with ginger viniagrette and tom kha soup. Hit the spot. I had had a craving of late.

And I learned this weekend is Thai new year. So Happy New Year to any of our Thai members!

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

We recently got back from 2 weeks in Japan.  Picked up some new dishes for tea, rice, sake etc.

Today for lunch, Tsukune - Japanese meatballs with Rice and Sake.

20180414_115450.thumb.jpg.854535ebb5d107d791dfbc553eadf2cf.jpg

For desert: 3 Japanese sweets we picked up in Japan and a tea I discovered over there... darjeeling :)

20180414_120712.thumb.jpg.136d3ae178b7895e030da1e9c96b9c63.jpg

The Sake is from our last trip, still good even though it's > 2 years old :)

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1

Still in Austria but not for much longer. Some lunches this week.

More Speck from Speckland. This kind is loin Speck. Had to try it, never had it at home.

P0KPnY7.jpg

Goat's cheese.

XVb39Ku.jpg

e3VZf0H.jpg

Yesterday.

R4EfrJo.jpg

Alpine hay milk cheese. A co-op product of farmers on German and Austrian sides of the Alps.

CHfBWBQ.jpg

LVVZ7IY.jpg

fGo4qPw.jpg

Had some pastry in Stubai valley. Apple strudel and poppy seed cake.

dAws8mc.jpg

If you put poppy seeds in something I hate I would probably eat it.

4bKWXCy.jpg

Owner of my lodging knocked on the door one day and handed me this plate. A pensioner who lives well and still cooks on most days. Not to mention she is well-versed in baking, as do many Austrians. These are some decadent chocolate slices.

MbGooO5.jpg

Edited by BonVivant (log)
  • Like 14

3BF9F13A-7B58-450A-B40E-B65BDCC2BAD3.thumb.jpeg.4ca3e6f3963cfc4dab71594f4e44c920.jpeg

Cheese and caramelized onion toasties. 

• Like 10

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

DF174016-DB37-4CDF-B62D-5157CD94F224.thumb.jpeg.2c94360c14bd5086b045462548a7332b.jpeg

Pasta with @ElainaA‘s  roasted cherry tomato sauce from my freezer. 

• Like 9

My 2004 eG Blog

36FEE147-5D0F-4300-A747-A709791B5791.thumb.jpeg.2b68489d72330a3b63e1aca5caf0cd2e.jpeg

Small shoulder lamb chop,  steamed broccoli and some mint sauce.

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

John is off to Aruba with a former co-worker.  Made some ham salad with some leftover ham slices and gave him two sandwiches on gluten-free bread for the plane ride.

I ate mine with a nice green salad.

Between the slices, salad and split pea soup I am pretty much hammed out!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Took one for the team today. Met daughter and grandson at doctor's office to take him home with me because a fever got him tossed from pre-k. After picking up his meds and the requisite Hot Wheels at the drugstore, I offered lunch. He announced he wanted "to go to McDonald's and sit at a table."

20180417_113905.thumb.jpg.256f6dbbe8d415ed11d33502d902562b.jpg

Thus my no-more-than-once-a-year Filet O Fish meal.

Horrible. I got through half a sandwich. The fries were bottom of the bag -- not a one more than 2 inches long. The Diet Coke was ok.

Not to mention they can't put a half slice of American cheese and a fish square on a bun without having one hanging off one side and one off the other. 

Never again. I will stick to hash browns and apple pies, the two things they serve that are edible. 

Edited by kayb (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

You really are earning Grandma points, @kayb. Your MacD's sounds worse than most.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

3 hours ago, kayb said:

Took one for the team today. Met daughter and grandson at doctor's office to take him home with me because a fever got him tossed from pre-k. After picking up his meds and the requisite Hot Wheels at the drugstore, I offered lunch. He announced he wanted "to go to McDonald's and sit at a table."

20180417_113905.thumb.jpg.256f6dbbe8d415ed11d33502d902562b.jpg

Thus my no-more-than-once-a-year Filet O Fish meal.

Horrible. I got through half a sandwich. The fries were bottom of the bag -- not a one more than 2 inches long. The Diet Coke was ok.

Not to mention they can't put a half slice of American cheese and a fish square on a bun without having one hanging off one side and one off the other. 

Never again. I will stick to hash browns and apple pies, the two things they serve that are edible. 

Ask for it without the cheese....

Whenever I do my once - in -a -while Whopper Jr. I always ask for heavy on the pickles since they have to make them to order.

I don't want cheese on my fish.......just saying.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

36 minutes ago, suzilightning said:

Ask for it without the cheese....

Whenever I do my once - in -a -while Whopper Jr. I always ask for heavy on the pickles since they have to make them to order.

I don't want cheese on my fish.......just saying.

I don't know that it'd make any difference. There was no discernable taste to the cheese.

Don't ask. Eat it.

I've been sick for three days with some sort of intestinal bug and finally, today, I felt like eating something 

The only thing that sounded good was a tuna  salad sandwich.  I had all the ingredients including a long past it’s prime celery rib which in a different situation I'd have thrown out...it was really not good looking at all.

Sandwich was good however, made with some excellent Harvest Grains Honey Whole Wheat toasted bread.

I seem to be on the mend.

Edited by lindag (log)
  • Like 4

30C4861D-1E18-4DB5-962B-B02DA014DBE0.thumb.jpeg.99c8798fab28cccbc458568ac911cc4c.jpeg

I seem to have embarked on a flatbread kick. Bull’s-Eye (TM) barbecue sauce and leftover rotisserie chicken breast brushed with mayo and layered on a split flatbread. All were given a short sojourn under the broiler. 

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1

My 2004 eG Blog