• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (2018)

BonVivant

For lunch today I got some ground beef, ground pork, and 1 italian spicy sausage. 

Some carmelized onion, garlic, breadcrumbs soaked in cream, Parmesan, egg yolk, parsley into the mixture

Quick sear on some olive oil

Made from scratch tomato sauce

Now Im thinking either spaghetti or make a meatball sub hmmmm

s42ToUa.jpg

HBK3Yec.jpg

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1

Food blogging zombie

My Instagram

My YouTube Channel

Went to Augustiner beer hall for Augustiner beer and ended up checking out some Tyrolean home-style dumplings. Even my home-made Austrian dumplings are far more superior. The difference in the quality is so stark. It's been many years since I had Augustiner beer in Munich. Their beer halls and cellars there are spectacular.

h5stdps.jpg

Three different Tyrolean dumplings (Speck, spinach, cheese).

8DHgIR0.jpg

At my lodging: the big stinker lives up to its name.

jj1ne7L.jpg

Checked out the "expensive market hall" in Innsbruck the other day and got some charcuterie for this lunch.

xCVwI9S.jpg

Steinbock also means Capricorn in Germanic languages.

eSwe6Q5.jpg

Feels like I'm "home" here in the Austrian Alps. Excellent charcuterie, cheese and bread, the mountains, valleys and the silence. Especially the silence.

BgY0Ok2.jpg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 2

Had some shrimp in the fridge that needed attention. Seasoned with salt, pepper, cornstarch and sauteed in hot pan. Finished with a grind of Habanero Lime spice. Cooled down with some salad stuff.;

5ace120f36a41_SpicyShrimpinShell4814.jpg.90f274659f90a1a2028233a8270785ad.jpg

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

E19ED247-3BAF-4BD5-B224-6715CD759831.thumb.jpeg.f38f605b6b6b69ab2ae679e6bfcf9a62.jpeg

Was given some lovely duck eggs yesterday and felt the need to brag about it. xD   Salad of shredded Belgian endive and carrot ribbons with crispy prosciutto and duck egg.

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

working at home, one of my tried and true lunches...tuna/avocado/diced grape tomato kind of mooshed together with a sprinkle of Southwest seasoning. Ate with "the bread of our affliction", ie., the whole wheat matzoh that never seems to get finished:D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

2 hours ago, rotuts said:

@Anna N

that's not the duck proscuit you are working on , is it ?

BTW  , how is that project going ?

My interest is that I have some ' substrate ' I might get to at some point

No that is a inexpensive store-bought prosciutto. My duck is still hanging in my refrigerator.  I will be sure to share with you what happens when I cut into it but it still has some days to go.  

• Delicious 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

After picking up the $1.99 Kindle version of Nopalito, now back to its regular price, I've made popsicles and cocktails and finally got around to some actual food.

Asparagus Quesadillas with Salsa Cilantro (Quesadillas de esparagos con salsa de cilantro) with Braised Black Beans (Frijoles negros de la olla) topped with some dry jack cheese, sliced avocado and a dollop of crema (per the book this was made from Greek yogurt, lime juice and salt) in the center of the plate:

IMG_7597.thumb.jpg.f706bbb785a33d39463577a08d8c891e.jpg

I usually make quesadillas with wheat flour tortillas but the author is enamored with corn so that's what I used.  

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Smokeydoke said:

@blue_dolphin How do you like Nopalito?

I think Guzman's commitment to the scratch cooking of his childhood at his restaurant and in the cookbook is admirable. It's so interesting to think that if he had grown up in a slightly larger town or even a few years later, he never would have been exposed to that sort of cooking. I've enjoyed all the cocktails I've tried and the paletas are good :D. As far as the other recipes go, I think the editing could have been better but overall, so far, so good. Since today was the first day I actually cooked anything from the book, I'll reserve any overall judgement until I've made a few more things.  

How about you?  What do you think?

I've just started browsing, I admit, I am not a fan of Mexican food, but that's my shortcoming, not theirs.

Honestly, I don't know where to start, their Quesadilla con Repollo de Bruselas (Brussel sprouts quesadilla) sounds interesting. I'm open to suggestions.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Smokeydoke said:

Honestly, I don't know where to start, their Quesadilla con Repollo de Bruselas (Brussel sprouts quesadilla) sounds interesting. I'm open to suggestions.

That one is up next for me, too. I made the cascabel chile oil and the salsa macha today.

I've got a few more on my list including the smashed shrimp with scrambled eggs and salad and the huevos de caja. 

Quesadillas with Brussels Sprouts with Cascabel Chile Oil  (Quesadillas con Repollo de Bruselas) with Braised Black Beans (Frijoles negros de la olla) topped with cotija and cilantro, Salsa Macha, sliced avocado and some crema in the middle.  All from Nopalito.

IMG_7615.thumb.jpg.5a78a7849cd7f2c072f96ae750d14970.jpg

That Salsa Macha is tasty stuff.  Dried chiles de árbol and ancho chile with toasted sunflower seeds, vinegar, garlic, oregano and olive oil.  Like a spicy nut butter.

Edited to add that the quesadillas are very flavorful on their own as the sprouts & onions are pan-roasted to caramelize and then tossed with the cascabel chile oil to add more flavor and heat.

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 7

On 6.4.2018 at 10:23 PM, Anna N said:

Didn’t have that chalky texture that I hate.  I wonder why.  Could it be the vinegar?

As a lover of legumes, I agree that this chalky texture is horrible. IMO, it's usually a sign of undercooking. 

~ Shai N.

1 hour ago, shain said:

As a lover of legumes, I agree that this chalky texture is horrible. IMO, it's usually a sign of undercooking. 

Thanks but I think I am just a hater of legumes. They can’t all be under cooked. xD

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

Thanks but I think I am just a hater of legumes. They can’t all be under cooked. xD

Yeah, I know well your dislike of legumes xD But this specific texture of undercooked beans makes even me to want and spit them out :S

• Haha 1

~ Shai N.

Takeaway fatayer-pita (the people making it calls it fatayer, but obviously it's not the same as regular fatayer). It's a soft and slightly chewy pita, laminated with olive oil, much like scallions pancakes are, and filled with spinach and fresh zaatar herb.

Served it with labneh, zaatar, olives and veggies.

IMG_20180310_124716.thumb.jpg.f83258a7bd5cc0f2ac5c95b02509cabb.jpgIMG_20180310_124741.thumb.jpg.d07dba60f2d67b6f46ed82ebee352275.jpgIMG_20180310_124711.thumb.jpg.b28505797e51e29bd48c40366f93957c.jpg

• Like 7

~ Shai N.