• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (2018)

BonVivant

1 hour ago, rarerollingobject said:

And my new best friend (an 80yr old grocer I met in Chinatown) gave me some very high grade red AND green Sichuan peppercorns and the green is so different; very sharp and floral and not at all musky or smoky like the red peppercorns.

Yes.  I love both, but the green are special. Nice looking laziji.  I am planning some on Wednesday.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I have liked fresh kielbasa (fresh as in not smoked) since the first time I was introduced to it. I like to prepare it with sauerkraut, sliced onions and peeled and sliced apples. The leftovers used to be one of my favorite things to take to work for lunch. Deb does not share my enthusiasm for it, so it is something I rarely (and covertly) prepare. I did it for lunch the other day and am dealing with the leftovers now. Today, I did a Reuben with Swiss, kielbasa slices and sauerkraut and liked it very much. I also cracked open the first pickled cucumbers I did this year and they were great too.

HC

IMG_0068.thumb.JPG.870f528cd4b4e6b4637349ef983f1d6d.JPG

IMG_0066.thumb.JPG.12db908e83ac7ae34e035d8101977661.JPGIMG_0069.thumb.JPG.cfc2ffcafab7dd9042db27ddbc99bd0e.JPGIMG_0063.thumb.JPG.b5aa71a1fecb65420ea29fd5424baea1.JPG

• Like 9

6B60EE2A-D8F7-47C8-8936-5FCF0024540F.thumb.jpeg.6ad92fe81228ae45d6fc097599d9e393.jpeg

Store-bought rotisserie chicken and a selection of items from the salad bar. From the left: marinated mushrooms, gigantes beans in a vinaigrette and Kalamata olives.  Yes, I did say beans and they were more than tolerable.  Didn’t have that chalky texture that I hate.  I wonder why.  Could it be the vinegar?

• Like 6

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

80D30D3C-530D-4F44-8F20-E16D47D904E5.thumb.jpeg.cdf6a1cf9092d7cd7966a6de85e99a2c.jpeg

Chicken Caesar with shaved Parmesan.

• Like 8

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Today for lunch I went to one of my favorite pizzerias called La Pizzeria :) (very original and creative name)

Its in downtown Campbell, CA 

They cook Neapolitan style pizzas, and they actually have pretty damn good pastas. 

My usual order begins with their simple antipasto. Prosciutto di Parma, Speck, Ham, Sopressata, Mortadella, fresh mozarella, olives and artichokes 

z3xNOcD.jpg

Little bit of olive oil, chili oil, and balsamic vinegar

Fbfemkl.jpg

And of course a good carbonara :)

mxsNhBy.jpg

G628l2t.jpg

Edited by ImportantElements
grammar correction (log)
  • Like 11

Food blogging zombie

My Instagram

My YouTube Channel

On 4/1/2018 at 11:39 PM, rarerollingobject said:

La zi ji, Sichuanese dry-fried chicken. It’s intense. And my new best friend (an 80yr old grocer I met in Chinatown) gave me some very high grade red AND green Sichuan peppercorns and the green is so different; very sharp and floral and not at all musky or smoky like the red peppercorns.

I also removed the chicken skin and chopped it and fried it separately, so there were lots of crispy, fatty little golden nuggets of skin to ferret out with your chopsticks from the chilli deathpile.

B0055980-188C-48C8-8E7C-EDA838CDFEC5.thumb.jpeg.49410c36487d5d3674ba91ce7cbac9f8.jpeg

B76CA45A-E93E-4ED0-AEAA-5A034D06C5FB.thumb.jpeg.4d9611a28a3e1a3e9ebdbfb0600aa2e6.jpeg

77C59C10-3C15-4CED-9724-DEE66D80DDC5.thumb.jpeg.8de01764c3469dfd43386e5c6ae0ca82.jpeg

Can you reuse the chilis after ferreting out all the chicken and greenery?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Okanagancook said:

Oops 

chillis are pretty cheap

1 hour ago, KennethT said:

@OkanagancookI was being serious!!!

I do reuse them actually; I put them in a jar and add salt and some of the chilli seeds I’d removed in prep and other seasonings and smoking hot oil and then it’s chilli oil condiment for weeks.

Edited by rarerollingobject (log)
  • Like 5

At the moment I am in a village in the Austrian Alps. The only place to buy something basic to eat is 1km walk downhill. The few things one can rely on here is Speck, all kinds of Speck. And mountain cheeses.

kpbAM6e.jpg

ao8YxpX.jpg

FotwTLy.jpg

My first lunch here.

GyiphYg.jpg

A 20 min bus ride takes me to the Tyrolean capital Innsbruck where I had lunch again.

Pn1TLhv.jpg

Dough parcels filled with cream/cheese and asparagus. One of Tirol's typical dishes.

yZ9KZVp.jpg

When one is in Austria...

2KfB9vi.jpg

An old coffee house.

lXaOjNe.jpg

1jcJOwh.jpg

No one can sit at the table next to mine. A small sign on the table reads "regular's table", that means you F. off. Coffee houses in Austria are more than a place to go drink coffee.

u5kHxCL.jpg

Nothing to eat or drink in the village where I'm staying but I have this all to myself whenever I look out the window.

vfJY9K8.jpg

• Like 15

Almost every Sunday, me and my wife sneak out to our favorite dim sum place called Din Tai Fung in San Jose Valley Mall

I love dumplings, and I dont need any excuses to go and slurp on those magical things :) 

We got there at 9:50am and the place opens at 10. The line was already a decent size

iv211dH.jpg

Luckily we didnt have to wait long. As the awesome host ladies approached us in the line and asked "How many?", within 3 minutes after that moment we were sitting down. 

Quickly we started out with a seaweed salad. Some beansprouts, tofu, and a very nice soy and ponzu marinade.

VJNiya7.jpg

A good dose of garlic spinach came in fast as well. I love a lot of chilli oil on it, and black vinegar

kgrM1BT.jpg

The sauce for dumplings is super simple. Fresh ginger, soy sauce, and vinegar. a small spoon of chilli oil is a must for me

PEDcsRf.jpg

Then came the dumplings !  XLB :) 

v3Q8LIu.jpg

Little pockets filled with hot boiling broth, and juciy tender pork 

quick dip in the sauce

cnaGEF5.jpg

little bit of ginger on the top

Jln6mhR.jpg

I poke a small hole in them to let the broth come out a little bit, mixing with that sauce

SLURP, BITE, mmmmmmmmmmmmm

7ImIi5c.jpg

Besides the dumplings, we got some noodles with spicy ground pork 

SN74rj2.jpg

and spicy vegetable and pork dumplings, I really love mixing the sauce myself :)

FIamqVJ.jpg

mMvA5o0.jpg

Until next Sunday :)

• Like 11

Food blogging zombie

My Instagram

My YouTube Channel

1 hour ago, ImportantElements said:

Almost every Sunday, me and my wife sneak out to our favorite dim sum place called Din Tai Fung in San Jose Valley Mall

I love dumplings, and I dont need any excuses to go and slurp on those magical things :) 

We got there at 9:50am and the place opens at 10. The line was already a decent size

Then came the dumplings !  XLB :) 

Little pockets filled with hot boiling broth, and juciy tender pork 

quick dip in the sauce

little bit of ginger on the top

I poke a small hole in them to let the broth come out a little bit, mixing with that sauce

SLURP, BITE, mmmmmmmmmmmmm

Here's a shot of those awesome xie long bao being made... dtf in hk...

IMG_2956.thumb.JPG.86908e3ac797a500dfe4f506b890e0d9.JPG

• Like 2

7 hours ago, KennethT said:

Here's a shot of those awesome xie long bao being made... dtf in hk...

IMG_2956.thumb.JPG.86908e3ac797a500dfe4f506b890e0d9.JPG

Yup ... I am a very happy camper to go there every couple of weeks. They have now nine locations over town :D

While living in Taiwan I went to their original shop several times. They always had some guys (apprentices) there learning how to pleat the XLB ... with no less than 18 pleats, as they advertise. Wouldn't mind to take a class there, either...

• Like 1

Chicken salad with chipotle mayonnaise on crispbread. 59EFD879-B208-4A7E-A366-C1F9E0640B2E.thumb.jpeg.af581a0eb00a443a6e95cf98a757b1e4.jpeg

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog